JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
When you list a shotgun for sale… include gauge, barrel length, chamber length, choke constrictions or what tubes it comes with, and the weight of the gun. Round count, condition, and functional history are also needed.

When you list a pistol, same thing... barrel length, condition, round count, magazine or cylinder capacity, functional history, and please, if it has a threaded barrel, what is the THREAD PITCH?

When you list a rifle… barrel length, weight, round count, condition, function history, approximate accuracy, any loads or ammo it likes or dislikes, and if the barrel is threaded…. the thread pitch. The twist rate matters too.

People who don't list these things are either lazy, ignorant, or trying to hide something. If you sell a gun that has been reblued, you need to disclose that. It affects value. If the gun has had custom work, disclose the gunsmith and what was done. If there were issues, disclose them! If you have the factory box and papers, say so. If you don't, say so.

Enough ranting. Peace out.

Sure seems like a lot of work for a bunch of lookie-loos only looking for fire sale deals. But what do I know, I buy way more guns than I sell and the adds the way they are work for me or don't. If the deal doesn't work for whatever reason, well, on to the next one.

When you list a shotgun for sale… include gauge, barrel length, chamber length, choke constrictions or what tubes it comes with, and the weight of the gun. Round count, condition, and functional history are also needed.

When you list a pistol, same thing... barrel length, condition, round count, magazine or cylinder capacity, functional history, and please, if it has a threaded barrel, what is the THREAD PITCH?

When you list a rifle… barrel length, weight, round count, condition, function history, approximate accuracy, any loads or ammo it likes or dislikes, and if the barrel is threaded…. the thread pitch. The twist rate matters too.

People who don't list these things are either lazy, ignorant, or trying to hide something. If you sell a gun that has been reblued, you need to disclose that. It affects value. If the gun has had custom work, disclose the gunsmith and what was done. If there were issues, disclose them! If you have the factory box and papers, say so. If you don't, say so.

Enough ranting. Peace out.
That info would be nice of course but I bet less than 1% of ads would ever do that. Personally I'd be happy with used guns listed for a reasonable price, not 100-130% of new gun cost.

I think there are exponentially more flakey buyers then sellers.
I have lots of stuff I would sell really cheap or in many cases just give away were it not for the hassles connecting up. Parts, holsters reloadable brass, useable but low qual optics, and equipment I just throw away. Just not worth having to negotiate a meeting half a dozen times, spend day waiting around etc to give it away or for ten bucks or 20, especially when many different items are involved and i'm still exhausted from the last one.
And by the way, I'm not the best at spelling but the spell check on this site is about on the second grade level! It might tell you its wrong OK, but rarely give a correct replacement suggestion, if any at all.
OK, you can have the thread back now.

How about cleaning your gun? I hate these pictures of people selling a gun and it is filthy.
Seems especially bad are people selling revolvers. And they want over $1K for it?
Some look like they have never been cleaned. How can you inspect a bore of a gun
if it so dirty? :s0019:

I just had this idea. If a seller doesn't list detailed specs of their firearm and clean it prior to listing it, do you think l could just ignore the ad and move on to the next one?

I just had this idea. If a seller doesn't list detailed specs of their firearm and clean it prior to listing it, do you think l could just ignore the ad and move on to the next one?
Might be an indicator that the owner rarely, if ever cleans their gun.
Round count? I'm over 60. Many of the guns I have are as old or older than I am. Guns don't have a "round-o-meter".

I agree that the better the photos, the better the ad. Much info can be gleaned from detailed photos.

But to call someone lazy, ignorant or deceitful because an ad doesn't contain the info "you" want, is pretty short sighted.
I dunno about you, but my mouse has a scroll wheel. It gets used a lot.

My pet peeves? Un needed apostrophes, slow cars in the fast lane and people that don't use their turn signals.

Most every time I've either bought or sold something, there was at least one question that wasn't answered in the ad. One option is to write several pages of specifications, including the color of your dog, photos of your toenails, and the phase of the moon when you last used the item. Wouldn't it be better to just ask the detailed questions if you're interested? :s0092:

I do wonder how so many people became so concerned about round count on guns like a stock Glock 19. They're the everlasting cockroaches of the gun world. 500 rounds or 10,000 won't make any difference in function. If the grip is not worn smooth and the barrel hood and barrel are not worn shiny, it's not worn down.

A $3000 1911, yes, that would be useful information.

There might not necessarily be a 'next one' of this particular model, style, year etc. and the potential buyer might have to be a little more inquisitive about it.

Not everybody is out looking for modern day plastic fantastics or MSRs of which there unlimited numbers of for sale

There might not necessarily be a 'next one' of this particular model, style, year etc. and the potential buyer might have to be a little more inquisitive about it.

Not everybody is out looking for modern day plastic fantastics or MSRs of which there unlimited numbers of for sale
I would guess if a seller has a more rare item, he can afford to be lazier with his ad description. If I am interested in an item and some information is missing I will ask the seller. I think most people here are capable of doing that as well.

I would guess if a seller has a more rare item, he can afford to be lazier with his ad description.
Well, in this case the seller shouldn't be. He should take EXTRA steps to display the item better, cleanly, and describe any issues interior or exterior given the age or rarity of the item however this is not always the case so we, as potential buyers may need to take the time to ask for additional info about the item.

:s0137:

do old men just get grumpier and b!tchier as they get older or is it just here?!

if youre interested ask the questions you want answers to, if its not something youre after, shut the F up, and move along.
your age is showin.
95% of the FireArms posted here are plain Jane, run of the mill, STOCK firearms you can find specs for in about 30secs, if you arent pecking away at the keyboard with your index fingers or thumbing your phone...
:s0013:

Last Edited:

Is any of that in the membership rules stateing this is a must?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews