JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you for all your comments everyone. I'm reading each of them as they're posted, even if I don't reply. I'm thinking the way to go is going to be keeping the software like it is, enabling replies, but making it so replies from others do not 'bump' the post. What do you guys think of that?

I think that's an awesome idea. I also think that crapping on someones thread or argueing over ANYTHING in the thread should be punishable by death...or at least a suspension from the site

To keep the negative comments in check, possibly make it a zero tolerance thing. If you make a negative, snide remark on someone's thread, your account will be locked for a week for first offence. Second, 3 weeks and if there is a third, your account deleted and locked. Just an idea.

I too, like being able to read through questions and positive comments about the stuff for sale. I know I have been able to sell things that were due to other's comments on how great of a (fill in the blank) it was.

What a shame. There was so much helpful info posted on many of the classified adds. I'm 55 and have been shooting since my early teens, I've onwed and traded more guns than I can remenber. But hardly a week goes by that I didn't learn something new on this site.

There's a lot of very smart menbers whose voices are no longer heard.

I hope that what's been done can and WILL be undone.

To keep the negative comments in check, possibly make it a zero tolerance thing. If you make a negative, snide remark on someone's thread, your account will be locked for a week for first offence. Second, 3 weeks and if there is a third, your account deleted and locked. Just an idea.

I too, like being able to read through questions and positive comments about the stuff for sale. I know I have been able to sell things that were due to other's comments on how great of a (fill in the blank) it was.

Respectfully Sig.......To me the negetive comments you speak of just reflect on the lack of ?, intelegence?, courtesy?, on the part of the poster? I always thought it was kind of funny when someone had, say, a Taurus something-or-other up for about 100% more than what it was worth, and someone would have to come in and say " AH...Taurus is a piece of crap etc.". Always gave me a chuckle anyway! It's the people that come on AFTER the "Crapper" that turn the thread South IMO. Maybe the thread crapping thing was worse in the long-guns classifieds, I only look at the handgun and reloading classifieds for the most part.

What ever the NWFA gods want to do is fine by me, but I've not found the classifieds as interesting to read since the change. If "clicks" are what pays the bills then there's a few less clicks from me. I mean, I'm not ALWAYS looking to buy and/or sell something!

Mike

I am calling bs Joe. I posted and ad today and it is already gone. You have some issues that are beyond the 7 day bump stuff. If not fixed i will never give my $ to support this site again.

seriously I gotta laugh at the complaints about the change. There was a couple months when the issues that are being dealt with were constantly in the "current threads" on the home screen, what did you say then? you just sat back and watched while 5 or 6 people who had a vested interest in making sure their ads stayed up front longer in the classifieds ran the discussion. I had issue, I let it be know and I got shut down... I donated after that because I still believe that this site is a great place to buy/sell/and discuss firearms and things involved in the firearm community. The Owners/mods of this site are people just like you and me who like what we are talking about but when drama reaches a boiling point they gotta shut the door, we are a community, be involved in the discussion and help guide the community in a more self governed way so that it does not need to have the mods come in and make changes to clarify common sense.

A Few of us were Here the last time these Rules were put in effect .....They weren't accepted well then and aren't Now.

My suggestions are posted in the ... previous pages.

In light of the recent LOCK..........How it was in 2009

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/qu...sified-ad-rules-likey-no-likey-dont-care.html

View Poll Results: Do you like the new classified rules?Voters 72. This poll is closed
I like. 8........11.11%
I do not like.:s0155: 54.........75.00%:s0155::s0155:
I don't care one way or another 10..........13.89%

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/qu...ted-classified-rules-policies-procedures.html

Simply stating the Facts here for those of you that may not know the History/growing pains
of the Classified section on this Site.
Read them or not , your choice........Majority of members that bothered to vote in 09 clearly weren't pleased.

Jeez guys give it a while to work out, I am sure there will be more changes just give the mods a chance. In the end I am sure it will be better, but change is a fact of life and the bigger this site gets the more things will have to be tweaked.

A Few of us were Here the last time these Rules were put in effect .....They weren't accepted well then and aren't Now.

My suggestions are posted in the other Thread. ( Now this One )

In light of the recent LOCK..........How it was in 2009

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/qu...sified-ad-rules-likey-no-likey-dont-care.html

View Poll Results: Do you like the new classified rules?Voters 72. This poll is closed
I like. 8........11.11%
I do not like.:s0155: 54.........75.00%:s0155::s0155:
I don't care one way or another 10..........13.89%

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/qu...ted-classified-rules-policies-procedures.html
And since Joe, the site owner, initiated the changes we have had (in order to relieve some of the moderator/admin stuff that was taking up so much time in trying to keep it civil and thread crapping down in the classifieds), I'm sure he was around then too and remembers just as well. So, the key is that the poster I responded to was acting like a baby in setting forth an ultimatum instead of contacting Joe first and asking questions and talking about it privately. But to come out and publicly say that "I don't like it and, if it doesn't change, I'm taking my $20 and leaving."

Now, from my limited time here, I have gathered that this is a community. And as a community we have disagreements. Sometimes those disagreements turn ugly and then it is the moderators'/admins' job to reign it back in. The changes that occurred were discussed and if you, or he, didn't get the opportunity to share your concerns that is unfortunate, obviously. However, sometimes the site owner will need to make a decision, taking into account a lot of different variables, in order to make things HOPEFULLY work smoother. Sometimes that doesn't work. But from the other posts I've seen, Joe is working hard on this site. He is trying to figure out ways to compromise with the ability for people to post questions and stuff in the classifieds and yet not bump threads to the top because of it (which was one of the major reasons why the change occurred as well - to keep posters from getting any benefit out of creating fake users to be able to post questions to their own threads and thereby bumping them to the top over other people who are following the rules).

The problem comes when people get impatient and want everything fixed immediately and worse so when they pull out threats to try to coerce someone to go down their path.

Have a great day.

One problem with this idea, SIG: One person's "negato-meter", or another person's "snide-scale" may have an entirely different red-line than another's (hmmmm.....the entire principle of free speech condensed into one sentence). Personally, I SEEK information: either negative, or positive about my guns and anyone else's. Someone bringing a negative forward gives me a chance first to re-examine my wares, and perhaps respond with what (little perhaps) I know.

So, we only really differ on that aspect alone: I want to absorb the good and the bad. You would prefer to see only questions, and positive comments. We both enjoy (and support) some banter on the for-sale section.

The current adjustment (allowing commentary, but no bump) is a pretty good idea in my estimation. Hats off to Joe and Company.

IMHO, If a picture is worth a thousand words why not have he ability to direct upload pictures. It would simplify posting for simpletons like me, and save LOTS of questions.
I agree with allowing a seller or initial posting the ability to edit his posts at any time. It would save also bandwidth from repeated questions. Perhaps templates/lists of features would tickle sellers into listing more pertinent information. I plead guilty of not including what all should be there, all the time.
Also, the several other Gun Websites that I visit daily, posting "I'LL TAKE IT", immediately followed with a PM to the seller, is the preferred method of sealing a deal to buy something. When doing so, the buyer is stating that he'll pay the posted price, unless the seller and buyer have negotiated differently, off screen. I've bought and sold hundreds of items with this understanding. It isn't a perfect, but is sure better than doing it "all" behind the scenes. There'll always be those piss ants that don't follow through on their word.
If bandwidth is the problem, I'd rather see posts and archiving of classifieds, limited to 90-120 days.
BTW, I agree with Spitpatch on disallowing the negative remarks. Also, the thing really that chaps my butt, is when an item is listed with a price, someone posting, "What's your best price". I just won't respond to them.
Amen

My apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned.

I'm spending more time on the Smith and Wesson Forum. I enjoy the feedback the WTS ads get from other members. The rule is "you're allowed to bump after 24hrs".

I find myself also at the Colt Forum. I enjoy...(see above). The rule is "you're allowed to bump after 48hrs".

NWFAs changed the bump to 7 days a year or so ago...and I was ok with that.

I respectfully object to the "no posting in the classified thread". I still visit this site...but not as much anymore.

I have no resentments over this change. I just have to adapt and I guess I'm ok with that too.

Be well,
Will

Thank you for all the comments everyone, these help immensely. I'll have time to reply this weekend. Please stick with us while we work this out, I'm not the type to run this place 'government style' where changes take forever. I'm going to try to hire a developer in the next couple weeks, and hope to have the replies re-enabled without bumping the thread by June 1.

Thank you for all the comments everyone, these help immensely. I'll have time to reply this weekend. Please stick with us while we work this out, I'm not the type to run this place 'government style' where changes take forever. I'm going to try to hire a developer in the next couple weeks, and hope to have the replies re-enabled without bumping the thread by June 1.

Your Site and you have a good plan but.....Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to stiffen the Rules a bit to weed out the bad apples?
As Will mentioned the S&W Forum has a well laid out set of guidelines for the classified section as do some other sites.
These places simply do not have the problems that persist here by way of a Clear set of rules and perhaps more enforcement yet allow interaction that is inline with the well defined set rules.
Carry on:cool:

Joey, Thanks for your response!

This has been one of my daily stops for a few years now. I've met alot of good people online and in person as well.

I'll do my part and subscribe again, regardless of what you're decision is.:)

Be well,
Will

While I miss the additional info from others, I'm enjoying not seeing the same stuff over and over as it gets bumped by idiots. All the new stuff for the day fits on one page. And it gives sellers a bit of exposure before it's gone. I also think the one week bump is just fine.

Joe is headed in a great direction. With the next round of changes it will be even better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top