JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wanted to create this thread to explain to everyone the changed we're making to the classified section, and our reasoning behind it.

Many of you who have been here a while remember how back when we were running vBulletin 3.8 the software automatically limited members from bumping their classified ads before seven days had elapsed, per the rules of this forum. The fact that this software wasn't available for vBulletin 4 was one of the main reasons we delayed so long in upgrading. Eventually we decided that the benefits outweighed the drawbacks and made the move to vBulletin 4, losing that feature.

All of you who regularly participate in our community have heard complaints about people bumping their ads more frequently than their allowed. Some do it by accident, many do it on purpose. We have people creating multiple accounts in order to bump each others threads, and our own rules create somewhat of a gray area in certain situations that even we can't consistently decipher. I strive to ensure all of our rules are clear and concise, and this has bothered me for some time now. We also have a problem with people posting useless comments in sale threads such as 'Nice gun! I used to own one', or even worse, talking bad about someone's sale.

Because of these issues the classified section consumes over half of the time and resources of our staff, which is unacceptable. I'm finding this site is slowly moving away from the goals and focus I had in mind when I started it, and it's the job of myself and the staff to make sure it continues in that direction.

After discussing this amongst ourselves as well as our supporting membership, we've decided the best course of action is to do the same as other large firearm sites and implement some restrictions such as the ones we once had. Members will now be software-limited to bumping their threads once every seven (7) days, as per the forum rules, and replies to for sale threads will be disabled for everyone except the original poster. Sellers will have full permission to edit their original post, or reply to their posts with updated information after seven days has elapsed. Threads should still be closed once an item has sold.

This will have many benefits, but among the largest it will:

1. Eliminate the possibility of bumping a thread (by the original poster, other members, or fake accounts) more often than once every seven days. The option of creating multiple accounts to gain a selling advantage will no longer exist.

2. Prevent people from thread crapping on a sale. My belief is people have the right to set the price and terms of their sale, and others can move on if they don't like it.

During our discussions we did receive a couple potential negatives to this change.

1. People like to read the ads for entertainment, and without replies the classified section will be boring and stale. This is true, and there really isn't any way around it. My hope is that people will become more active in the general areas of the site. If we can modify the software in the future to make it so other replies do not bump the ad we may consider this.

2. People like to post 'I'll take it' as a form of calling dibs on an item. The official NWFA stance on this is that posting 'I'll take it' or other statements to this effect does not obligate the seller to sell the item to you. The seller is free to dictate the price and terms of the sale, as well as choose whom he or she does business with. An honorable seller will set his exact terms in the ad, such as 'first one with the cash gets it' or 'dibs to the person who PM's me first', but it's still up to the seller. In most cases it will probably work to your advantage to PM the seller rather than posting in the thread. The seller will see who's PM arrived first, if that's how they choose to select who to sell the item to, and you won't stir up interest in an item by posting publicly that you're interested in it.

As always, I'd love to hear input either way on this decision we've made. It is my hope that these changes will make sellers more responsible with their ads and create a better purchasing environment for the buyer. Time will tell how this all works out, and no decision is set in stone.

The missing community feedback that gives an indication of general interest, and therefore perceived value, will be gone. As an example, if you see an item with 10 (close) bids on Ebay you can normally assume the price is in line with reality. Same with a sale ad that has a lot of responses here.

I am all for it as long as it can be reversed if it ends up obvious that the negatives outweigh the positives.

Maybe sellers can post questions/answers at the bottom of their original ad. The automatic 7-day block is great.

The missing community feedback that gives an indication of general interest, and therefore perceived value, will be gone. As an example, if you see an item with 10 (close) bids on Ebay you can normally assume the price is in line with reality. Same with a sale ad that has a lot of responses here.

I am all for it as long as it can be reversed if it ends up obvious that the negatives outweigh the positives.

Maybe sellers can post questions/answers at the bottom of their original ad. The automatic 7-day block is great.

I agree with these points. I've ended up buying items in a couple of classifieds that had a lot of chatter about the items partially because of the chatter.

As far as sellers artificially bumping ads, that's good.

I was one that "voted" to close the ads and only one thing concerned me about that. It was the ability to post an "I'll take it". But after seeing that many on this board (mostly non-supporting members) said that they wouldn't/didn't honor an "I'll take it" as a done deal, I see no reason to keep them open.

As to those that think a post saying "I'll take it" means a sale soon after at the agreed price... well it's a shame so many think that a person's word isn't a bond. That's another story, I guess.

Either way, this ought to make things easier for the mods and will make the classifieds, well, much more simple. Hopefully the posters will take the opportunity to update the ads in response to the questions asked via PM. If one person asks a question on an item, other viewers may be wondering the same things.

I was one that "voted" to close the ads and only one thing concerned me about that. It was the ability to post an "I'll take it". But after seeing that many on this board (mostly non-supporting members) said that they wouldn't/didn't honor an "I'll take it" as a done deal, I see no reason to keep them open.

As to those that think a post saying "I'll take it" means a sale soon after at the agreed price... well it's a shame so many think that a person's word isn't a bond. That's another story, I guess.

Either way, this ought to make things easier for the mods and will make the classifieds, well, much more simple. Hopefully the posters will take the opportunity to update the ads in response to the questions asked via PM. If one person asks a question on an item, other viewers may be wondering the same things.

I understand that the seller can edit his ad anytime but cannot bump it except the weekly which is good. As if you fail to include a detail you can add said detail and update the ad info anytime.

Last Edited:

I think what most people meant when they said they weren't up for honoring an "I'll take it" meant that they didn't feel bound to someone else's word, didn't seem like there was much "Doesn't matter if I said Ill take it, I'll do what I want!" (then again, I've had a lot of people change their mind on me lately post-arrangement)

** Also, if you click "advanced edit" you can change the title, to make it more apparent "updated 5/7/12" etc

How are we to inform a member that his PMs are full? Not everyone has themselves set up to have an E-Mail notification sent via E-mail, at least I think that's how it works. For instance I do not. I don't check my E-Mail 'cept in the morning.

Mike

I like the fact that people will be forced to PM about a sale item. (As they should anyway)
I do not constantly monitor sale items once they are posted, but I do check PMs.
And as stated above, you can always edit your post to reflect new info.

I think this will be a good change. We just need to be patient while everyone adjust to it. And if sellers really want to sell their item, they will have to be diligent in keeping their PM boxes cleaned out and updating their posts to include information when necessary.

Good job, Joe!

Are we getting more PM space then? I'm a nobody on here and have still maxed out my PM's. You really don't get that many. So if you get a hot ad, your PM will basically fill up, so what happens when the guy who was going to buy it can't get through? Seems pretty limiting.

How are we to inform a member that his PMs are full? Not everyone has themselves set up to have an E-Mail notification sent via E-mail, at least I think that's how it works. For instance I do not. I don't check my E-Mail 'cept in the morning.

Mike

Are we getting more PM space then? I'm a nobody on here and have still maxed out my PM's. You really don't get that many. So if you get a hot ad, your PM will basically fill up, so what happens when the guy who was going to buy it can't get through? Seems pretty limiting.

You can always send a visitor message to their profile page if their PM box is full.

I am concerned about follow on questions about the item being sold not being publicly posted. Many times I will read an ad and critical information on the item is missing. Then scrolling down I see someone asked the question and the OP answered so all can see. Now I am concered that the seller will be slammed with the same question over and over, his PM will fill up, and he won't answer or get tired of answering the same thing. As stated above I guess he could edit his orginal post and copy/paste the question answer into the ad, but I don't know how many members will actually do the extra work to do that. I still think that preventing the blatant thread bumping trumps this minor issue. A motivated seller will just have to be extra clear in his original post, I just don't think that will happen often.

This is a really good point. Your thoughts Joe?

When you become a supporter you get a significantly larger PM inbox/outbox, if you catch my drift.

When you become a supporter you get a significantly larger PM inbox/outbox, if you catch my drift.

<---------------- I am a supporter....

200 PM's isn't much if you do any significant attempts at trades and purchases. Plus I like to save the final PM's frm trades that I do. I will just create an email address to use for trading, but kind of just adds more administration to my life, haha. no biggy, but I seriously already have enough. Done complaining though, I will just adjust how I do things and it will all be good. Plus I won't have to see the same guys posting lowball offers in threads or threadcrapping and saying someone's gun aint worth asking price.

FYI: Clear out the SENT MESSAGES folder occasionally because that too counts against your quota.

Just clearing the Inbox isn't going to get back all of your space. If you want, you can set your defaults to not save a copy of a sent message (the board default is to save one) and then you can decide when you send a message if you want to save a copy or not. You can still do that now today as well, even though the default is set to keep a copy.

I am concerned about follow on questions about the item being sold not being publicly posted. Many times I will read an ad and critical information on the item is missing. Then scrolling down I see someone asked the question and the OP answered so all can see. Now I am concered that the seller will be slammed with the same question over and over, his PM will fill up, and he won't answer or get tired of answering the same thing. As stated above I guess he could edit his orginal post and copy/paste the question answer into the ad, but I don't know how many members will actually do the extra work to do that. I still think that preventing the blatant thread bumping trumps this minor issue. A motivated seller will just have to be extra clear in his original post, I just don't think that will happen often.

If the seller wants to move his item then he is going to need to "learn" how to write a good ad or his item is not going to move very fast. This change will involve using "self help" on the sellers side. If a seller wants to move his item, and is lazy or brief in the description in the ad it will just involve "more" time/work answering" PM's of the same questions and the mail box fuller. So if the seller is motovated to write a good ad it will sell.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top