JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
2. Prevent people from thread crapping on a sale. My belief is people have the right to set the price and terms of their sale, and others can move on if they don't like it.

AWWW darn. some are so ridiculous they need crapping on...

Joe,
When will the change take effect?

We've already implemented the bump timer. The replies will be disabled tonight.

The missing community feedback that gives an indication of general interest, and therefore perceived value, will be gone. As an example, if you see an item with 10 (close) bids on Ebay you can normally assume the price is in line with reality. Same with a sale ad that has a lot of responses here.

I am all for it as long as it can be reversed if it ends up obvious that the negatives outweigh the positives.

Maybe sellers can post questions/answers at the bottom of their original ad. The automatic 7-day block is great.

This is one of the drawbacks we cannot get around, since at this time we cannot disable specific people from bumping the thread. This site is run in a very fluid way, in that if something isn't working it doesn't take long to change it once you convince myself and the rest of the staff :)

Am I reading this that specific product questions and seller replies will not be displayed within the ad/posting?

Correct. All communication will be handled via telephone, email, PM, etc. but not in the thread itself.

I understand that the seller can edit his ad anytime but cannot bump it except the weekly which is good. As if you fail to include a detail you can add said detail and update the ad info anytime.

Exactly.

Are we getting more PM space then? I'm a nobody on here and have still maxed out my PM's. You really don't get that many. So if you get a hot ad, your PM will basically fill up, so what happens when the guy who was going to buy it can't get through? Seems pretty limiting.

I'll review the PM space allotment and get back to you on this.

I am concerned about follow on questions about the item being sold not being publicly posted. Many times I will read an ad and critical information on the item is missing. Then scrolling down I see someone asked the question and the OP answered so all can see. Now I am concered that the seller will be slammed with the same question over and over, his PM will fill up, and he won't answer or get tired of answering the same thing. As stated above I guess he could edit his orginal post and copy/paste the question answer into the ad, but I don't know how many members will actually do the extra work to do that. I still think that preventing the blatant thread bumping trumps this minor issue. A motivated seller will just have to be extra clear in his original post, I just don't think that will happen often.

This is a valid concern, though this change won't change it either way if the seller is abiding by the rules as he or she is supposed to be. When an item is sold the thread is to be closed. This actually may influence a seller with an open thread to close it once the item sells, as PM's are much more difficult to ignore. If the seller is slammed with the same question over and over it is his responsibility to update the thread with that information, just like you mentioned ;)

If the seller wants to move his item then he is going to need to "learn" how to write a good ad or his item is not going to move very fast. This change will involve using "self help" on the sellers side. If a seller wants to move his item, and is lazy or brief in the description in the ad it will just involve "more" time/work answering" PM's of the same questions and the mail box fuller. So if the seller is motovated to write a good ad it will sell.

Exactly. What this change is doing is shifting the responsibility away from the moderators and onto the person selling the item.

The missing community feedback that gives an indication of general interest, and therefore perceived value, will be gone. As an example, if you see an item with 10 (close) bids on Ebay you can normally assume the price is in line with reality. Same with a sale ad that has a lot of responses here.
A firearm is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you're unsure there are always sites like gunbroker and outdoorstrader where you can research prices.

That is what I understand... All potential buyers questions and the sellers responses will be by PM's.
Sellers will need to write a clear and concise ad for their item to avoid getting a buttload of questions via PM's.

mjd

What's wrong with WTT or WTS a NIB SA loaded Combat?

That is plain and simple and no questions should be needed.

People also need to learn to Google.

There are many questions that can be answered if people just Google if they don't know what a gun is.

Plus I feel the bump period is too long. If looking at other major sites the most common is 72 hours for a bump plus the deletion of an ad once sold, traded or whatever to keep it clean.

I also I am glad to see someone trying to stop the nice gun bumps, or I miss mine and that crap.

Since I am on a role it would be good if we could seperate rifles and shotguns plus give optics their own thread as well.

Just thought I would through that out there.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

feeling guilty or trying to buck the system? i don't think they even mentioned your thread,WOW. i know you don't like the changes, obviously, maybe try it out and see what happens. or direct your displeasure to the mods.

feeling guilty or trying to buck the system? i don't think they even mentioned your thread,WOW. i know you don't like the changes, obviously, maybe try it out and see what happens. or direct your displeasure to the mods.

Feeling guilty? Never, why you?

I have nothing to feel guilty about.

Yea I am trying to "buck" the system all the time...

How do you know what I like and don't like? Let me know.

My ad, WTT NIB Sig Scorpion?

WOW, what don't you understand?

Is it a difficult ad? Revise it for me to how it should be. I would like to see.

This reading thing was getting to be a real chore. Can you imagine, if you were to count up the words you had read throughout the day, or WEEK, how many things you had read? Holy cow! I mean, maybe our eyes only have so much time? Thank you all for staying on top of this and getting the things we need to read cut back a bit. My eyes THANK YOU!

Now if we could do something about those damned TAPATALK users!

SENT FROM MY DROID SUPERXXX BERRY POO USING TAPATALK 16.

Mike

Doesn't look like these changes actually happened. I am still seeing people posting dumb *** questions that could be cleared up just by looking at the pic of the firearm

This reading thing was getting to be a real chore. Can you imagine, if you were to count up the words you had read throughout the day, or WEEK, how many things you had read? Holy cow! I mean, maybe our eyes only have so much time? Thank you all for staying on top of this and getting the things we need to read cut back a bit. My eyes THANK YOU!

Now if we could do something about those damned TAPATALK users!

SENT FROM MY DROID SUPERXXX BERRY POO USING TAPATALK 16.

Mike

Do something about those Damn tapatalk users than... Step up

I am one of those users who reads the classifieds as much for entertainment as I do for actual commerce. I thought that was one area unique to this site. Armslist & OutdoorsTrader are two regional sites I frequent if I just want to see an ad and no 'shop-talk' regarding the item.

The main reason I like the classifieds for entertainment is the rest of the board is moderated poorly, in my opinion. There are more window-lickers posting off-topic smut on the rest of the board than I can tolerate. Then you have e-tough-guys, who like to try and relive high-school by being a virtual bad-*** on the damn internet.

Pre-mature bumps never bothered me as they were usually dealt with quickly and quietly by the moderators. I sincerely hope the mods will clean the rest of the board up, or I might as well just stick to OT and AL, which is gonna be boring as hell.

Guess I'll go kick a puppy, pull my pants up past my bellybutton and shuffle off the to 'The Den', as it's the only place an old curmudgeon like me can handle. Too much buffoonery and duplicate threads elsewhere (DUUUUURRRRRR, WHAT'S THE BEST 9MMMM????).

But I'll keep sippin' my moonshine and wait to see what develops. God help you all if I start posting with regularity on the other areas of this place. ;)

I'd like to see a Thunderdome option where it's just one huge mess. No rules (other than those existing in the other subforums), no categories, just complete pandemonium. The only stipulation being if you choose to participate either as a seller, buyer or a commenter you can't complain to the mods---about anything. Might be an interesting experiment.

I'd like to see a Thunderdome option where it's just one huge mess. No rules (other than those existing in the other subforums), no categories, just complete pandemonium. The only stipulation being if you choose to participate either as a seller, buyer or a commenter you can't complain to the mods---about anything. Might be an interesting experiment.

Calguns?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads