JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you folks actually go to the zoo ready for an animal attack?
It never would have occurred to me to do this.

Of course, don't you??

We just bring our stroller along so we're prepared for most contingencies:

shi_jinsong_gun_stroller.jpg

But anyway, A CCW against that big gorilla? Even though I shoot everyday, and I am a darn good shot....and I know for a fact that I can make a headshot at 50' or even a 100' headshot at paper.
No way in hell would I shoot at that gorilla! You wound him and he will rip that little boy in half and throw him at the crowd!
Nope no way!
You might just be shooting the wrong caliber,I can't shoot much past 50' or 100' with a lot of accuracy in a 9mm,.40,or .45,but with a S&W .357 magnum with a 4" barrel I can shoot at 100' with rifle like precision,first time I shot a .357 magnum I hit exactly where I was aiming,I shot a bottle cap at 25' first time right in the center.
I'm not sure if that is typical .357 magnum accuracy or not,but I think part of it was that it fit well in the hands.

You might just be shooting the wrong caliber,I can't shoot much past 50' or 100' with a lot of accuracy in a 9mm,.40,or .45,but with a S&W .357 magnum with a 4" barrel I can shoot at 100' with rifle like precision,first time I shot a .357 magnum I hit exactly where I was aiming,I shot a bottle cap at 25' first time right in the center.
I'm not sure if that is typical .357 magnum accuracy or not,but I think part of it was that it fit well in the hands.
You really need to stretch out more. I shot my 1911s at 40 ,yards not feet,regularly and some times out to 100 yards. Once I tried 160
Your 357 called and asked me to take it to the range for a 100yard shoot.

Tried to find a link or two about a small caliber used successfully against a brown bear attack.
Seems I remember something like that in the news happening a couple of times at least.

So you folks actually go to the zoo ready for an animal attack?
It never would have occurred to me to do this.

I always expect an animal attack. Sometimes the animals have opposable thumbs, sometimes they do not.

I carry every day for the most part. It just makes sense to adapt the tools to the environment.

Let me be clear, I am not saying I could stop the gorilla at 300 meters, maybe, maybe not.

What's important here is that my son is both A) smart enough to not hop into a gorilla cage and
B) I WATCH MY Son and you know, guard him and stuff since I am supposed to be the legal guardian and what not....lol Ill stop the rant before it starts.

I can say with 100% certainty that short of an animal breaking free of an enclosure and going nutty, I would never have cause to shoot an animal. I barely support keeping them in captive environments to begin with, but its invaluable to a child's sense of wonder and growth to have zoo's.

I always expect an animal attack. Sometimes the animals have opposable thumbs, sometimes they do not.

I carry every day for the most part. It just makes sense to adapt the tools to the environment.
Oh I understand the carrying part,just never thought about it for the 4 leggers
But I'm not a big zoo lover and was kinda happy when the Aussie got stung while f@&king with that fish
But that's just me.
As far as the 10mm,best all around caliber ever,shooting at 300 meters ,I would try it out if I had a spotter and a reactive target so we could see how bad we were doing.
Like I've said before,160 wasn't a problem. So with hot hand loads tuned for you gun,I bet you could be minute of bad guy

I have to admit worrying about shooting a zoo animal is the last thing on my list in life to worry about...

Pretty close to that is shooting 300yds with a 10mm...

but for the sake of discussion and the love of 10mm are we talking a defensive pistol or a 10mm target pistol (longslilde...)? I can hit a paper plate with my 10 (5"bbl) at 100 yds but not every time. I think with practice, that's about the max practical limit of the 10.

I have to admit worrying about shooting a zoo animal is the last thing on my list in life to worry about...

Pretty close to that is shooting 300yds with a 10mm...

but for the sake of discussion and the love of 10mm are we talking a defensive pistol or a 10mm target pistol (longslilde...)? I can hit a paper plate with my 10 (5"bbl) at 100 yds but not every time. I think with practice, that's about the max practical limit of the 10.
150 brah,easily;)

Not a big fan of Zoo's I agree, there pretty cool for the kids and such, but I just don't like to see animals locked up and put on display, nor do I care for the circus for those reasons and more, plus, I hate clowns! I wouldn't even try a shot at a big animal with a ccw unless it was really close, and I had a lot of ammo to empty into it, I also wouldn't knowingly put my self and or my kids in a situation like that! I have been close though, A camping trip in Yellow stone, we had a bear come around the middle of the night and sniff around the tent! My Neuffy never made a sound! The shooting with the 10 mm was just for fun and to see just how far it could shoot and hit want I was aiming at! A lot of ammo went down range before I figured it all out, but once I did. I had no problems doing it again! Yes, its a carry pistol, a standard 5 inch 1911 STI. Would I ever take a shot like that "for real" Hell and No! Just for showin off.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top