JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So somehow the Zoo had a Gorilla sniper on staff. I'm hoping we get the details soon but.......

You are there and carrying and the staff is calling 911 as a response.
Hopefully you got a .45 or 9mm but you might have a .380:eek: Would you give it a shot? I know I would have to get closer to even attempt it.
Remember the firepower that it took to take out Kong!

I think about this whenever I go to the zoo. Maybe once a year with the kids.
I remember not too long ago a guy was killed by a tiger or leopard at a zoo that escaped it's pen.

I wouldn't hesitate to try it out if a child was in danger. Probably try to get as close as possible and jump in the cage too especially if it was my kid. No doubt.

I think about this whenever I go to the zoo. Maybe once a year with the kids.
I remember not too long ago a guy was killed by a tiger or leopard at a zoo that escaped it's pen.

I wouldn't hesitate to try it out if a child was in danger. Probably try to get as close as possible and jump in the cage too especially if it was my kid. No doubt.
It would be a gamble. The Gorilla seemed calm and curious at first about the kid's clothes but not violent. Jumping in might have spooked him. When he had the kid standing up at one point he was pretty close. I might have taken a carefully supported shot to his torso. After he scurried I'd be in the enclosure pretty quick.

How does a little kid get into a gorilla cage in the first place?
Could be a careless slacker parent but I tend not to judge after I briefly lost my little kid at a Fair.
The WORST 4 minutes of our lives. The situation was we had Aunts, Uncles, Mom and Dad etc. all watching her. What could go wrong? Well briefly no one was watching!
I was the first to notice her missing. Turns out while we were all watching a demonstration she wandered off. We found her walking off hand in hand with a female staff security person.

It can happen in a split second.

I'm sure the kids parents didn't mind.
They had no other option.
They couldn't go in after him, and if they tried tranquilizers it could just anger the gorilla and he could smash that kid like tomato.
It didn't look like he wanted to hurt the kid more just aggitated and curious, but that could go wrong real fast.
That gorilla could choke slam andre the giant like he was a child.

You would think that by now Zoos could design an enclosure that a kid, a little kid could not infiltrate. I mean Zoos entice/promote families to visit.

I hate frivolous lawsuits and ambulance chasing lawyers but......
Even if the parents were burnout stoners the Zoo has a responsibility to provide a minimum of safety.

If the parents set the kid on a high barrier wall and he fell in that's one thing, shame on them. If the kid was able to squeeze through an opening or climb over a wall himself then shame on the Zoo.

Glad the kid survived anyway, he's got a hell of a story to tell about himself for the rest of his life anyway.

I guess that the hard part. Designing a zoo people can easily see the animals and keeping people safe.

Still gotta remember, people are stupid. They do stupid things. Just too bad this kid and gorilla had to suffer

I spotted this post at first light. I thought to reply, then decided to wait.

My answer.
Hell NO. I would not take a shot. If the shot was not placed precisely, and with the right caliber, the childs life could come to an end as fast as the bullet striking the gorilla.

I can't even fathom the strength or drive a gorilla would have, but I've seen plenty of videos of situations.

This is a very mild example.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ray-hits-truncheon-taser.html#v-4469776235001

Last Edited:
Snow pig drops little Johnny while checking her FB feed....Dude from the crowd pulls his Lorcin9 and draws down on Magilla Gorilla hoping for a 50'+ plus head shot. What could possibly go more wrong with that day.

I just watched a couple vids about this. WOW, it did look like the silver back was protecting the boy. He had him up against the wall, he held hands with the boy. He had his eye on the 100 screaming humans that dropped in one of their own for him to take care of! The people were freaking him out. But you can see he wasn't being aggressive. Then with the people screaming he grabbed the boy by the leg and would run to another spot in his enclosure. And watch the screaming people. Humans are not built as tough as gorilla's, so it would have been very easy for the boy to get killed. Just by dragging him across the pen at high speed. hit his head on something, dislocate a hip, etc etc.
He very easily could have climbed up somewhere high and dropped him.

But anyway, A CCW against that big gorilla? Even though I shoot everyday, and I am a darn good shot....and I know for a fact that I can make a headshot at 50' or even a 100' headshot at paper.
No way in hell would I shoot at that gorilla! You wound him and he will rip that little boy in half and throw him at the crowd!
Nope no way!

I'd love to hear more details on what was used to take him out.

So Zoos have a trained rifleman on staff with a hunting rifle that belongs in an African Safari?

We'll never get the details because of the bad publicity I guess.

I wouldn't want to be in his running range and shoot him with my 45-70.
I would guess with the muscle mass, a 375 H&H would be appropriate . A head shot may be like shooting a grizzly.
This has happened before where the ape guarded the child till the workers got there. Too bad this guy had to be put down

Look at the freaking fangs these apes have! As long as Zoos still exist, maybe the bigger more dangerous beasts should be implanted with a remote "Kill" switch in case they escape.

There's one video out there that shows folks getting up close and personal with some silver backs on a photo safari.
The big guy grabs a guide,a full grown man and drags him like the one above drug the child around.
He only pulled the guy a few feet but with little effort
I don't know if I'd be guiding the next group:eek:

Crazy story. Would I take a shot, heck no. First, because I don't think what I carry will do anything more than wound the animal, which may make him more dangerous. Second, because if he suddenly moved, the kid could be put in the line of fire. Best to leave it to the pros who are prepared (apparently) for such an event.

These types of events have happened before, but they are exceedingly rare. That tells me there must have been some colossal failure, likely by a human, to override the built in safety and security features of that enclosure.

What really gets me angry though are all the people outraged over the shooting of the gorilla. My wife noted there was a petition of some kind already going with over 200,000 signatures of people angry about the damn gorilla being killed!!! Like the kid's life didn't even matter! Honestly, WTMF is wrong with people in this world? How the hell did we arrive at a place where so many people will place the life of an animal over the life of a human?? Priorities have gone completely a$$-backwards. I know it's sad that an endangered species had to be put down, but it was 100% the right choice. Human first, every time. I really am getting tired of the way this world is headed :(

That being said, maybe it's time to start carrying a .44mag to the zoo...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top