JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So after I take my handgun class and get the certificate I make an appointment with WCSO and show up with my $65 and paperwork. But the question I haven't been able to find by searching is, what does the testing entail? Written, competency, etc?

Thanks folks.

I just assumed there was a test when you went to get your license, I was reading the FAQ on WCSO's website and I thought it alluded to there being a test. Might have been wrong.

so do I need all of this?

Q. How do I meet the residency requirement to apply for an Oregon license issued by Washington County?

A. You may apply for a Washington County-issued Oregon concealed handgun license by meeting the residency requirements as stated in ORS 166.291(9):

Possess a Current Oregon driver's license showing a residence in the county.
Be registered to vote in Washington County and have a precinct memorandum card showing a residence address in the county.
Provide documentation that you currently own or lease real property in the county.
Provide documentation that you filed an Oregon tax return for the most recent tax year with a residence address in the county.

I just applied.
You must bring to appointment;
A. Two pieces of identification, one must be a photo id showing your current residential address, or residency establishing documentation.
B. Your handgun safety class certificate card or DD214.
C. A check, Cash or money order payable to Washington county. Fees are non refundable.
Proof of citizenship at the time of appointment,IE, Passport, US birth cert or naturalization papers.
I went to the sheriffs office and you can ask for your time of appointment.
Be well.

I just applied.
You must bring to appointment;
A. Two pieces of identification, one must be a photo id showing your current residential address, or residency establishing documentation.
B. Your handgun safety class certificate card or DD214.
C. A check, Cash or money order payable to Washington county. Fees are non refundable.
Proof of citizenship at the time of appointment,IE, Passport, US birth cert or naturalization papers.
I went to the sheriffs office and you can ask for your time of appointment.
Be well.

How long has proof of citizenship been required??

This is from the yamhill sheriff..

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
Do you guys recommend a live class or internet class? My father is going to teach me how to shoot so I'm not worried, really, about having another instructor. He's a lifetime NRA member, Master Hunter, has his CHL and he stuffs dead animals for a living... he knows his way around a trigger hah!

There is nothing wrong with overlearning something. I think you'd get more from a live class then the internet. You can ask questions and it's a lot more interactive then just staring at a screen. The internet is faster and easier but just like anything else in life. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out. Do yourself the favor and go to the live class.

Just my 2 cents.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads