JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I received this message from CCRKBA Legislative director Joe Waldron Thursday morning. It's definitely worth reading. Like it or not, every gun owner and certainly every CPL holder in Washington has been drafted into the activist army.
:(
--------------------------------------------
Guys
Please look at this. Plan to send it to legislators and maybe even post it as a GOAL Alert for others to send.
It runs 900 words, two pages, but I think it makes the necessary points.
Some time in the next 24 hours (5174 could come up for a vote tomorrow or later).
Joe
-----------------------

LEGISLATIVE HOTLINE: 800-562-6000

-----------------------
First, a quick Civics 101 refresher. The Constitution is a restriction on government power, not a limitation of the people's power. The Washington State Constitution begins with Article 1, "Declaration of Rights." Section 24 of Article 1 states, "SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

There can be no question that the right of the INDIVIDUAL CITIZEN to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE IMPAIRED. The common English meaning of "impaired" is "weakened or damaged.

Washington's current concealed pistol license law took effect in 1961. It is one of the most successful in the country, and has stood the test of time. RCW 9.41.070 governs the application of the state concealed pistol licensing program. The very first paragraph of 9.41.070 states, "The applicant's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied unless… " and goes on to list specific disqualifying conditions (e.g. felony or certain misdemeanor conviction, under 21 years of age, etc.). So exercise of the right to bear arms with a concealed pistol license is clearly linked to Article 1, Section 24.

The U.S. Supreme Court struck down the use of poll tests – the requirement to pass a test to exercise a fundamental right – in this case voting – more than 60 years ago. Why? Brecause they were found to be discriminatory. The same is true of any "proficiency test" to exercise rights under Article 1, Section 24.

The intent of SSB 5174, and it's House counterpart, HB 1315, is clearly to impair an individual's right to bear arms. Section 1.1(1)(b) strikes the language "The applicant's constitutional right to bear arms," thus severing the concealed license program from the fundamental, enumerated right listed in Article 1, Section 24.

Again, why? In all likelihood to eliminate or reduce a successful court challenge to SSB 5174 on constitutional grounds. This is NOT how we amend the Constitution to restrict a right.

As noted previously, Washington's CPL law has been in effect for nearly 58 years. And throughout that time, no "poll test" has been required to exercise it. Why now? Where is the problem that has never made itself obvious until 2019? How frequently is the law abused? It's not.

RCW 9a.16.020 states the use of force is legal "(3) Whenever used by a party about to be injured, or by another lawfully aiding him or her, in preventing or attempting to prevent an offense against his or her person." The use of lethal force is generally considered legal if the threatened individual reasonably believes he or she is facing a potentially lethal threat or a trhreat of great bodily harm'
When you can use a gun to defend yourself is not rocket science.

Both FBI data and several outside studies indicate most defensive gun uses occur at distances measured in feet, typically fifteen feet or less (the distance across a room or when directly facing your assailant). What degree of proficiency is needed to strike a target to prevent lethal attack at that distance?

Again, it is not rocket science.

And yet SSB 5174 calls for a minimum of eight hours of training, PLUS additional time for detailed proficiency testing with every firearm a licensee might choose to carry with his or her license. How many hours ultimately wll be spent to qualify for a CPL? Again, we're not training rocket scientists here, folks, we ensuring a concealed carrier has the minimum knowledge and skills to responsibly exercise a fundamental, enumerated constitutional right. Where is the problem. How many "bad" defensive shooting occur every year in Washington?

Also keep in mind that in most cases, use of a firearm in self defense does not even include firing the gun. Merely telling an assailant that you are armed, or displaying a firearm, is sufficient to deter the threat. Several nationwide studies, from the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics and others indicate defensive gun uses occur from tens of thousands to as many as amillion or more instances a year.

That breaks down to likely a thousand to many thousand in Washington every year. Where are the bad shootings by CPL holders? And this is without any mandated training, although many if not most CPL holders attend various classes without a mandate.

More than 600,000 Washingtonians currently hold valid Washington CPLs.

Why duplicate renewal training every five years, other than to discourage renewal of the license? Do we make drivers take a new driving test or even a written test every renewal cycle? No. And far, far more Americans are killed annually in automobile crashes (approximately 37,000) than lose their lives in what are determined to be "bad" defensive shootings.

It would save more lives in training and testing were mandated for every drivers license renewal.

Most of the states that mandate a training requirement to acquire a concealed carry license merely state that the individual must pass a suitable course, typically conducted by a nationally-recognized gun safety organization such as the National Rifle Association (YES, admit it or not, the NRA is the daddy rabbit of firearms safety training in the US, in many cases to include development of law enforcement courses). And rarely do they require refresher training.

SSB 5174 and HB 1315 serve no useful purpose other than to reduce that 600,000 figure significantly.

SHALL NOT BE IMPAIRED? Remember?

That was great Dave, cept fer one problem, were dealing with politicians, used to speaking so many words that litterally have no meaning, while completly ignoring all of US and what we are demanding of them! They believe its their right and duty to legislate away a constitutnal right by fiat instead of the very complex constitutional method outlined in that founding doccument! ( the very same doccument that allows them to govern By the People, For the People)
We are at the point that the 2nd was specifically created for, and THEY know it, thus why they attack it in small yet meaningful and sucessful ways! When "We the People" are no longer trusted with our own safety, no longer trusted with out pursuit of happiness, and must be led by our noses through life, because THEY know better, that is when the 2nd matters most!

That was great Dave, cept fer one problem, were dealing with politicians, used to speaking so many words that litterally have no meaning, while completly ignoring all of US and what we are demanding of them! They believe its their right and duty to legislate away a constitutnal right by fiat instead of the very complex constitutional method outlined in that founding doccument! ( the very same doccument that allows them to govern By the People, For the People)
We are at the point that the 2nd was specifically created for, and THEY know it, thus why they attack it in small yet meaningful and sucessful ways! When "We the People" are no longer trusted with our own safety, no longer trusted with out pursuit of happiness, and must be led by our noses through life, because THEY know better, that is when the 2nd matters most!
This.

Am I to presume from your response that you didn't/won't bother to contact your state lawmakers?

Am I to presume from your response that you didn't/won't bother to contact your state lawmakers?

Apologies Dave, I am indeed an OryGunion, and we have our own serious anti 2nd fight, possable even more draconian then what you have suffered in Washington!:(
What ever happens, we are tied at the hip as brothers and sisters in the current fights, and we are going to need to come up with a new strategy to move forward, or we all loose!
Big kudos to the Washington Sheriffs who have bravely stood their ground against the A.G. This is something OryGun Sheriffs need to do proactively!

Last Edited:
Yes, i do hand write letters, call, and e mail my state politicians! If and when I get a responce, it is almost always a pre written generalisation that touts all the good said critter has done, will do, and is a pleasure to continue serving me, the voter! I have recieved exactly 3 personal reply's, notabley from 2 conservative republicans in my state, and One pro 2nd Democrat! All the rest have simply replied canned, as a formality, probably didnt even take the time to read what i wrote! Phone calls, none answered, instead having a voice mail box to leave a message!
So, what else can I do?

You see Dave, many people (gun owners) just don't know what's going on and the few that do are fed up with not being heard from the progressive liberal politicians.
I have been politically active for the last 10 years by going to committee meetings, rallies & contacting my reps (many have me on ignore or something) because i rarely hear anything back.
So yeah, I know how they feel about not being heard but I keep at it because I know many give up.

Stuff like this makes me crazy.:eek: Don't confuse me with the facts guns are bad.
Us sheepel need restrict CWP, AWB, registration........... Oh and don't forget
"Gun Free Zone" . We can all be safe from "Violent Guns".
492887-a4740257c918af77b0b631846066aeb1.jpg

Apologies Dave, I am indeed an OryGunion, and we have our own serious anti 2nd fight, possable even more draconian then what you have suffered in Washington!:(
What ever happens, we are tied at the hip as brothers and sisters in the current fights, and we are going to need to come up with a new strategy to move forward, or we all loose!
Big kudos to the Washington Sheriffs who have bravely stood their ground against the A.G. This is something OryGun Sheriffs need to do proactively!
Would you be so kind as to update me privately about all the guff you guys are facing right now? Might make for some interesting reading for my readers across the country. We're "ground zero" and behind enemy lines here. :(

:s0101:

Unfortunately, you are correct, we are at the point where the Second Amendment is the most important of our Civil rights....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top