JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
True technically think about you living in the city if someone was walking in my backyard with a weapon of any kind I would take that as a threat to my or my families bodily harm.
If I owned 100 acres I would act the same.

Here locally we have a ranch and a in town home. Both are posted. They ( local Sheriff) said it is always a great idea in town to post NT as well because it leave no doubt where the trespass begins.
Hope you catch the bastard, I have zero tolerance here and there is no talking involved if one trespasses, well there might be a conversation I would have with the coroner !

criminals break the law. if they are told to leave then likely theyll be back.if u see him in person start hammerin on an AR or AK trigger. he'll never come back.

Over the years I have become less and less tolerant of people trespassing on my property.

Probably because, for more and more people, they give little thought to trespassing on, stealing, vandalizing or otherwise not respecting the property rights of others.

I would be harshly against it for 2 reasons,
1. I have a family and don't want my kids or dog coming back with an arrow or bullet hole in them.
If someone hurt my kids, it would be a bad day for a lot of people.

2. I want my property to be a santuary for animals. If SHTF The family and I will be eating well.

With all that is said here from land owners, I have a question? Being from Nevada, public land being widely available and easy to use and hunt on, how open are you to a stranger coming up to your door and asking you for permission to hunt on your land?

I've only hunted state Forrest land since coming to OR and have always heard horror stories of hunters trying to get reasonable permission to hunt someone's large plot of land. I'm not talking about the less than 10 acre type land owners, but those in the hundred plus range.

What would you say or do to an unarmed trespasser walking up to your doorstep? Or even if you saw some random truck coming up your driveway?

When I lived in the country, feral dogs were more of a problem then trespassers.
All of the trails on the property were more or less short range pistol ranges and most days they were hiked on and the metal plates were clanging with at lease a couple of rounds.
That alone kept most folks away from the trout fish ponds and deer/elk trails.

I had a similar experience when we lived in the woods. More problems with 4 legged critters than 2.....
Although one day the dog was going nuts and I saw 2 hunters on the back part of my property. My position was elevated and so was my steel gong at about 480. They were in kind of a draw. Got the old AR out and began to throw rounds into the plate right over their heads. (The rounds were probably 100 or so feet above them) Needless to say they went apebubblegum. After a few choice words from them and a threat to call the sheriff from me they split. Never saw em again.

With all that is said here from land owners, I have a question? Being from Nevada, public land being widely available and easy to use and hunt on, how open are you to a stranger coming up to your door and asking you for permission to hunt on your land?

First, my land isn't safe to shoot on unless you really know which direction all the houses are, and even then there may be a neighborhood dog or one of the neighbors in the woods. In general, I don't even shoot on my own land - most of the time.

Second, no, I wouldn't trust a stranger. My grandfather let some strangers go pheasant hunting on our farm once, and they came back with a dead owl. He scolded them and told them to never come back.

Third, as someone else mentioned, I want my land to be relatively safe for the deer because then they will be there if I need meat if SHTF. I've seen them ten feet away from my living room and several times I could have taken one or more deer from my back porch or deck.

And in an answer to another poster here, yes I do take trespassers serious.
The property is clearly marked and I own it, I worked my arse off for it and they know their on private land if their here.
There's plenty of Nat. Forest land behind the homestead they can cruise, but for some damn reason the grass always seems greener on the other side. After awhile one starts to develop a piss additude when they do. It's my land, not theirs and if they want to own it they can always throw an offer up, but most that do trespass are of the lowest kind that I'd bet YOU wouldn't want around your place.

I've only hunted state Forrest land since coming to OR and have always heard horror stories of hunters trying to get reasonable permission to hunt someone's large plot of land. I'm not talking about the less than 10 acre type land owners, but those in the hundred plus range.

What would you say or do to an unarmed trespasser walking up to your doorstep? Or even if you saw some random truck coming up your driveway?

By the time they got to my door; they would have been illegally-trespassing for 400 yards.:confused:

With thousands of acres (if not millions) of public and private timber available in Oregon.....nope.

Supervised youth with a bow...maybe, but not without a signed "release and hold harmless" document.

I will add one more thing, these days, if you granted someone access for hunting and they tripped and fell over a root of a tree or something, you are now just as likely to be sued for not having properly groomed the "trail" and be liable for damages, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

I do not doubt for one second there are courts out there that would love to see land where the owner is open to hunting taken from them.

Last Edited:
And in an answer to another poster here, yes I do take trespassers serious.
The property is clearly marked and I own it, I worked my arse off for it and they know their on private land if their here.
There's plenty of Nat. Forest land behind the homestead they can cruise, but for some damn reason the grass always seems greener on the other side. After awhile one starts to develop a piss additude when they do. It's my land, not theirs and if they want to own it they can always throw an offer up, but most that do trespass are of the lowest kind that I'd bet YOU wouldn't want around your place.
Yeah, it took me almost 60 years to get to where I owned my own property, so I have an attitude when someone comes along and think they can just help themselves to what I worked so hard to earn.

My neighbors all know it is fine if they want to hike through - whether they are hunting for mushrooms or just enjoying the scenery. They all know where the houses are better than I do, and they know about the fire danger, they have the kids and dogs, and while some hunt and shoot, they don't do it here because it isn't safe with the houses on all sides, even though there are thousands of feet between us.

I will add one more thing, these days, if you granted someone access for hunting and they tripped and fell over a root of a tree or something, you are now just as likely to be sued for not having properly groomed the "trail" and be liable for damages, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

I do not doubt for one second there are courts out there that would love to see land where the owner is open to hunting taken from them.
From what I understand, in Oregon, the state provides liability protection if you open your land for hunting. Not sure of the conditions or the limits, but I read that on the ODFW site somewhere. That said, it doesn't mean you won't be a party to a lawsuit nonetheless. The big timber owners used to require a person sign a waiver before they gave permission, now they just close their lands altogether.

^^^This right here^^^

Aside from selfish asshats doing damage, theft, and the overall general lack of respect for others, etc. o_O

You guys take your trespassing seriously.
Hate to see what you'd do to a hippie mushroom hunter.

I take it seriously because I believe in private property rights - which are protected by the same constitution that protects our right to bear arms. I respect other people's property, I expect them to do the same with mine. If you don't have my permission, you don't belong there, regardless of whether it's for hunting or gathering the local flora ;)

Most people I've met are way better than the hard line tough guy attitude in this thread. There is nothing wrong with seeking permission to hunt private land, just do it BEFORE you cross the line obviously. Nearly 100% of the people I asked during Antelope season let us hunt and turned us on to another rancher to ask. I've let a guy taking his wife hunt my property over east after they were already unloaded and ready to go, that was before I had it posted. I will still let someone hunt it if I'm not. A worthwhile friendship might just happen or maybe you get a nice back strap.
Be okay and respectful if they tell you know or bite your tongue with a smile on your face even if they're a a$$hole about it.

Most people I've met are way better than the hard line tough guy attitude in this thread. There is nothing wrong with seeking permission to hunt private land, just do it BEFORE you cross the line obviously. ......

I think you are seeing the hard line here in reaction to my original post of a guy who clearly did not ask for permission, and knew what it was doing.

I think the point about letting other hunt has a lot to do with how much property you own. I have about 40 acres, and that sounds like a lot, but if you walk it, it really is not that big an area when you start talking hunting and taking the resources off the land. I could see a big difference in attitude it you have 100s of acres that are remote from your home, but I can tell you 40 acres next to my house is not a place I want someone I do not know walking around hunting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top