JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you are seeing the hard line here in reaction to my original post of a guy who clearly did not ask for permission, and knew what it was doing.
I think the point about letting other hunt has a lot to do with how much property you own. I have about 40 acres, and that sounds like a lot, but if you walk it, it really is not that big an area when you start talking hunting and taking the resources off the land. I could see a big difference in attitude it you have 100s of acres that are remote from your home, but I can tell you 40 acres next to my house is not a place I want someone I do not know walking around hunting.

I try not to be a donkeys backside to people, but I know in general there are those you give and inch they take a mile. There for I stop them a the inch. They are looking for a poacher down our ways seems he/she shot and Elk and left it to die. :mad: WTF.

I think you are seeing the hard line here in reaction to my original post of a guy who clearly did not ask for permission, and knew what it was doing.

Absolutely my reply was based on reactions in this thread. There is actually implications of shooting the guy within. Uh huh.....

FWIW I'm not saying you're wrong at all just hoping Reno911 doesn't get totally fearful of seeking permission to hunt land or fostering a worthwhile landowner relationship.

Last Edited:
I think it's just very liberal minded to walk up to someone's house and asking to take liberties with their property.
Like someone else said if it's hundreds of acres then I can see, if less than, keep walking. There is more than enough free space to hunt. Stop being lazy and drive a ways.

My father n law owns 200 acres in ohio, and when looking at that open space it's not that much room.
I wouldn't want someone shooting in that space.

I wouldn't walk up to a stranger's door and ask to borrow their car, why would I ask to use their land. If I bought it, it's for me and mine only. unless I ask you.

Imm not advocating shooting people or becoming violent for someone tresspassing, but I would show a lot of force/intimidation.

When I was care taking my friends 200 acre farm East of Sandy, OR. I would walk up to the trout pond to feed the fish every evening and found some cigarette butts, candy wrappers and fishing tackle on the ground by the pond.
As I searched around the pond for more trash, I noticed a new trail cut through the woods with little paper signs stuck in the ground saying "Fish pond, this way."

I followed the trail through the woods and across the creek where the barb wire fence had been cut and on over to the nearest neighbors house that had recently been bought by a couple from California.

They had made the place into a bed & breakfast and when I told them in no uncertain terms that they and their guests were not allowed to trespass on the farm, and that I would defiantly press charges if I caught anyone on the property, especially near the pond as I didn't want some kid to drown.
They said that they had advertised their B&B as having lots of walking trails and free trout fishing for one and all to enjoy.

They thought the pond stocked with trout was a natural one out in the woods, and the trails that I maintained just happened to be kept clear of brush all by themselves.

I couldn't believe that anyone was that naive, but weeks later when their black lab started running through the adjoining woods and started to kill my laying hens, I went back over their place and explained that if they didn't tie him up and he keeps on killing my hens, then don't expect him home for dinner, as I would take care of the problem.

They were shocked that I would even contemplate harming their kind and gentle pet and adamantly denied that it was their dog doing the killing.
I told them that I was being a nice guy in warning them, as the neighbor to the West had young Hereford calves and he would shoot the dog on sight if caught anywhere near his cows & calves.

More shock and alarm from these two people, "You have no right" they claimed.
Read the Stockman signs posted all over the property and then tell me about your dogs right to destroy my livestock.

Sure enough, a day later here comes the lab and after killing one more hen, a well placed .22 creased his hard skull and off he went howling back home.
I called them telling them that their dog had killed another bird and they still refused to believe me, but a minute later he showed up in their doorstep bleeding.

They called me later saying that I owed them for the vet bill and I told them that they owed me for three laying hens.
Soon after the rancher next door caught him chasing his cows and that was the end of that.

Last Edited:
I think it's just very liberal minded to walk up to someone's house and asking to take liberties with their property.

Liberal minded to ask permission to hunt someones land? Isn't "Taking liberties" doing something without permission or conveniently misconstruing information to support an agenda as in fiction?

I guess everyone can be viewed a bit liberal when it has gravity in a conversation as a last resort or easy rebuttal vehicle aye?

I will say in my actual experience some people are damn glad to have people hunt there land for damage control, Some don't hunt, some cant. They might have a problem with 300 antelope or 50 elk and can get one or two LOP tags, Yea that makes someone a liberal to contribute to the ranchers 10's of thousands of lost dollars in cattle feed. Jeez... Some of the crap....:s0125:

^^^ second on that above, above!!!

And that is Anywhere in the GREAT PN WET...

FARMER/Rancher RIGHTS are for replacement of lost item: in the Wine Country areas, that means All the Grape Harvests for any damaged vine, with the Vines Life Expectancy @ 100 years!!!!

I believe, calves are paid by establishing the average weight at sale... Not just the calf...

Chickens? Are they Laying hens... It is their replacement, and their egg production that is lost!!!!

Look into it...

I know the hard way: I lost a Chocolate Lab, that got into my neighbors Chickens, Circa 1978, Ferry County Washington.

philip

I don't blame the dog, I place the blame squarely on the idiot owners that just couldn't believe that a dog could run through the woods at top speed in only a few minutes and cover a mile of ground.

They were adamant that their black lab with it's distinctive markings just couldn't hurt a flea, let alone some chickens and I'm mistaking their dog for some other black lab.

Heck I've been trying to correct Google Maps and their false park boundaries near my dads property. I've been able to relocate the center of the park to where it is but the boundary lines have 1/2 of his property covered by the park.

No Trespassing signs on the outside. I've seen guys come in there during season and I've watched them, most walk in, realize where they are and walk back out. The next group won't be as forgiving when I'm sitting watching the field for deer...

Liberal minded to ask permission to hunt someones land? Isn't "Taking liberties" doing something without permission or conveniently misconstruing information to support an agenda as in fiction?

I guess everyone can be viewed a bit liberal when it has gravity in a conversation as a last resort or easy rebuttal vehicle aye?

I will say in my actual experience some people are damn glad to have people hunt there land for damage control, Some don't hunt, some cant. They might have a problem with 300 antelope or 50 elk and can get one or two LOP tags, Yea that makes someone a liberal to contribute to the ranchers 10's of thousands of lost dollars in cattle feed. Jeez... Some of the crap....:s0125:

Thats where I said they should be asked to come help.

Sorry, but I don't trust anyone. My family's security and safety cones before some person's want to hunt.
There's more than enough land for that.

Last year I asked one of my neighbors if I could ride my motorcycle on his property. Other neighbors had asked once and then been riding it for years, they said it was okay to go ahead and ride it, but I asked anyway.

When I asked I could tell that he was reluctant, even though he said okay - so I never did ride there. The property was for sale and it just wouldn't do to be showing someone the property and then out of the woods comes a neighbor on his dirt bike.

I don't even walk the neighbor's woods without letting them know I am going to be there - except when I was checking on some burn piles while the one neighbor was gone for the day, to make sure it wasn't going to spread, and to retrieve my hoses he had borrowed.

I am a reclusive person. I like being alone. I like the quiet. I work in downtown Portland and my 20 acres on the mountain is my sanctuary. I don't want to share with anybody else except the animals.

I know there are deer on my property - I see them from time to time. It is bad enough that the neighbor's dog chases them away - I don't need hunters to chase them away too. There is land further out, some of it public, less densely populated, that can be safely hunted.

When I was care taking my friends 200 acre farm East of Sandy, OR. I would walk up to the trout pond to feed the fish every evening and found some cigarette buts, candy wrappers and fishing tackle on the ground by the pond.
As I searched around the pond for more trash, I noticed a new cut trail through the woods with little paper signs stuck in the ground saying "Fish pond, this way."

I followed the trail through the woods and across the creek where the barb wire fence had been cut and on over to the nearest neighbors house that had recently been bought by a couple from California.

They had made the place into a bed & breakfast and when I told them in no uncertain terms that they and their guests were not allowed to trespass on the farm, and that I would defiantly press charges if I caught anyone on the property, especially near the pond as I didn't want some kid to drown.
They said that they had advertised their B&B as having lots of walking trails and free trout fishing for one and all to enjoy.

They thought the pond stocked with trout was a natural one out in the woods, and the trails that I maintained just happened to be kept clear of brush all by themselves.

I couldn't believe that anyone was that naive, but weeks later when their black lab started running through the adjoining woods and started to kill my laying hens, I went back over their place and explained that if they didn't tie him up and he keeps on killing my hens, then don't expect him home for dinner, as I would take care of the problem.

They were shocked that I would even contemplate harming their kind and gentle pet and adamantly denied that it was their dog doing the killing.
I told them that I was being a nice guy in warning them, as the neighbor to the West had young Hereford calves and he would shoot the dog on sight if caught anywhere near his cows & calves.

More shock and alarm from these two people, "You have no right" they claimed.
Read the Stockman signs posted all over the property and then tell me about your dogs right to destroy my livestock.

Sure enough, a day later here comes the lab and after killing one more hen, a well placed .22 creased his hard skull and off he went howling back home.
I called them telling them that their dog had killed another bird and they still refused to believe me, but a minute later he showed up in their doorstep bleeding.

They called me later saying that I owed them for the vet bill and I told them that they owed me for three laying hens.
Soon after the rancher next door caught him chasing his cows and that was the end of that.

.... the end of that.

So, the Rancher stepped up and killed the Cali-zombies, yes? o_O:D

City folk move to the country and leave the pooch outside and loose all day while they're gone to work.
Pooch gets bored and finds other dogs to run with.
The pack mentality takes over and livestock and/or native wildlife gets run to ground.
City folk return home and the pooch is all tired out on the front porch.
I've seen a dozen dogs shot while either harassing livestock or killing them.
The dog owners are always outraged and want to sue the farmer/rancher.

It might be your land but to start out being confrontational is not to smart. You also gain a strategic advantage by politely educating trespasser's. Hunters hunt, and if you want to just piss everyone off, keep in mind he might be a much better hunter than you!
But this advice is sure to fall on many deaf ears. Just think of it as natural selection at work.

It might be your land but to start out being confrontational is not to smart. You also gain a strategic advantage by politely educating trespasser's. Hunters hunt, and if you want to just piss everyone off, keep in mind he might be a much better hunter than you!
But this advice is sure to fall on many deaf ears. Just think of it as natural selection at work.
Hey now! Aren't we all alpha males Uber bad asses that are superior at everything and can do 1" groups at 1k in a hurricane, we gotta be. It's the Internet! Good advice actually.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top