JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Catalonia Shows the Danger of Disarming Civilians | Laura Williams

Spain has enacted, it would seem, the kind of "common sense restrictions" American gun-control advocates crave.

Polling stations in Catalonia were attacked by heavily armed agents of the state with riot gear and pointed rifles. Spanish National Police fired rubber bullets and unleashed tear gas canisters on voters, broke down polling center doors, disrupted the vote, and destroyed enough ballots to throw results into serious doubt.

Exceedingly few of those would-be patriots were armed.

In Spain, firearm ownership is not a protected individual right. Civilian firearms licenses are restricted to "cases of extreme necessity" if the government finds "genuine reason."

Catalonia: Spanish court blocks independence move - CNN

upload_2017-10-5_16-20-4.jpeg
bSbUmMrYz_jkSWAYn-pdP97tJXbOnyOOeG_TFglVJ68kWo7IoVOAsHT-zJmtvai1n8fVfa6NXKtpvFgiNHIUXgpr9mVKY1HD.png
upload_2017-10-5_16-20-5.png

Catalonia
Autonomous community of Spain
The Catalonia region, in northeastern Spain, is known for the lively beach resorts of Costa Brava as well as the Pyrenees Mountains. Barcelona, the regional capital, has a historic Gothic Quarter, La Rambla pedestrian mall, museums and several beaches. Antoni Gaudí's distinctive modern art and architecture can be seen at the Sagrada Família Basilica and in the colorful outdoor mosaics of Park Güell.

Area: 12,397 mi²
Capital: Barcelona
Population: 7.523 million (2016) <broken link removed>

I came to this thread to ask where Catalonia is. Thanks, Ric!

(hehe) When people would ask the origin of my unusual family name, I used to say "Catalonia", as my father was in the habit of doing. After many blank stares from my fellow Americans, I just now say "Spanish". ;)

Regarding the independence movement there, it is really getting intense. Some of the footage is pretty dramatic. I read one of the big banks in the region, Sabadell, is moving its registration to a neighboring region because if Catalonia bails, their legal status in Spain and the EU would be up in the air. I've also read that it is said the Spanish government will issue a decree tomorrow that will allow it to be easier for companies to register elsewhere.

With respect to firearm ownership in Spain, it has been a while since I really looked at it. Like most western European countries, their laws are quite restrictive. IIRC, you need a license, issued by Guardia Civil, for either handguns or long guns and there is a long process to obtain said. Concealed carry licenses are only issued in very rare cases after a "need" is demonstrated. And there are restrictions on magazine capacity, storage requirements, police inspections, bans on military-caliber firearms, etc.

Catalan separatists free pending sedition probe
Catalonia's police chief and two prominent separatist leaders avoided being remanded in custody at a court hearing Friday over sedition accusations linked to the region's independence bid.

Catalonia 'civil war' warning as independence declaration fears grow
The EU's budget commissioner has warned of the risk of "civil war" in Catalonia, as fears grew over a looming independence declaration and major banks prepared to relocate their headquarters.

If there ever WAS a time to get involved in another country's affairs for US this is tge type of thing to step into and provide some assistance with. An out of control government that will not abide the will of the people, taking prisoners and using violence against a largely unarmed populace that is trying to peacefully forge their own nation - it harkens back to the creation of our own nation. I am not saying we need to send in the Marines - but we may want to park a carrier group nearby, maybe try negotiating a peaceful secession, or supplying aid to the Catalans to prevent atrocities by the Spanish government. It would be a more justified action than continuing our presence in middle eastern crapholes that have seen little positive change in the last decade and a half. Spain's government would not want to risk conflict with the US or the crapstorm leading to it.

Instapundit » Blog Archive » CATALONIA: Spain moves to suspend autonomy. Article 155 of the constitution, which cemented democ…

CATALONIA: Spain moves to suspend autonomy.

Article 155 of the constitution, which cemented democratic rule three years after the death of dictator General Francisco Franco in 1975, allows Madrid to impose direct rule in a crisis but it has never been invoked.

BBC Madrid correspondent Tom Burridge says that for Madrid this is about upholding the rule of law in Catalonia, protecting the Spanish constitution and disciplining what it sees as an unruly, disobedient devolved government.

However, the central government wants to minimise the risk of large-scale demonstrations, our correspondent says. Civil servants and government lawyers have thought long and hard about what measures to adopt and when and how they should be implemented.

If Madrid's recent actions are anything to go by, implementation of Article 155 seems likely to be heavy-handed and maybe even self-defeating.

Spain Sets Stage to Take Control of Catalonia in Independence Fight

BARCELONA, Spain — The standoff over Catalonia intensified significantly on Thursday as the Spanish government said it would take emergency measures to halt a secessionist drive in the economically vital and politically restive northeastern region.

The announcement came almost immediately after the Catalan leader, Carles Puigdemont, facing a second deadline to clarify Catalonia's intentions since it held an Oct. 1 referendum on independence, warned that regional lawmakers were prepared to break from Spain.

The government in Madrid, in turn, announced that it would convene an emergency cabinet meeting on Saturday "to defend the general interest of Spaniards, among them the citizens of Catalonia."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top