JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not saying that it's RIGHT.

But as I can recall.......speaking of the US Military MPs when they use to carry the M1911......well, they were suppose to rack the slide in order to get that first round into the chamber. Maybe the rules were relaxed for some special units. But, that is what I was told.

Same for the Israeli military. They teach their people to draw and rack the slide. Holding the slide with their off hand. Then, releasing the slide, while pushing their shooting hand forward. All while keeping the handgun pointing towards the intended target. Mind you that it's sort of "gangsta" looking.

Then, there are some police forces, here in the USA, that require their officers to have the manual safety ON, while their pistols are still in the holster. And, they ain't carrying a M1911.

Whatever. I don't run their organizations.

And I guess, that the lowest common denominator rules for what they have deemed to be the appropriate way to carry. FORGETABOUT trying to teach and train......someone might F@^*up. And, the liability is just too high to take that risk. Cough, cough.....

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
What a terrible outcome. One that deserves note. It woulda been better to feign something to get even closer and go handsies with the schlub (instead of doing what was done).. guaranteed both wouldna died.
anyway

Hollywood sells the idea when actors cycle a round in the chamber of semiautomatic or lever action the situation is getting serious. Have overhead and been told by naïve people bad guys will leave upon hearing that noise? Television entertainment and movies are an awful place to get firearms training. Real world thugs and criminals might have excellent hearing but the last thing they should hear when confronted with a aimed preloaded weapon is the dirt being shoveled on their caskets.

Speaking of the Hollywood movies.....

A lot of the behaviors that we have seen, has to do with what the old timers had to deal with. For example.....

The Colt Single Action Army revolvers didn't really have a safety. So, only 5 rounds were carried. The hammer rested on an empty chamber. Keeping a SAA fully loaded (6 rounds) with the hammer at half cock was dangerous if the revolver should fall. You know.....it might go off. But, at least with the SAA.......because it's SA.......pulling the hammer back turned the cylinder and made the revolver "ready to go."

Perhaps, someone didn't grasp, that a semi auto pistol works differently?

So then, the lever action rifles. Most, had only a half cock, as a safety. Again, what would happen if it fell accidentally out of that scabbard? So, you would keep no rounds in the chamber, only in the magazine.

M1911s....Ok, Ok, ok.....Military folks have the answers (are the experts) as to how everything should go. Rrrrrrright.

Wrong.jpg

That brings us back to the empty chamber and the video from the OP. Humm.......empty chamber carry........Israeli style of presenting a handgun. Yup....GANGSTA. Instant street cred.

Perhaps, the guy from the video should have gone to a SD class? Well anyway, maybe not with an ex-Israeli military person.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Magazine loaded and chamber loaded , safety on
Magazine loaded and chamber empty
Magazine loaded , chamber loaded , safety off
Magazine empty , chamber empty , ammo not even bought yet

Cylinder fully loaded
Hammer down on empty chamber of cylinder

Who cares?
You should carry your gun as you see fit ... as long as you can safely carry and handle it.*
It is your gun and your choice.
This shouldn't be a big deal...
Andy
*All of which requires you to practice and to keep practicing until it is muscle memory.

For those that think they don't need one in the chamber, You have a expensive rock.

I wouldn't pull a gun with one pointed at me that close. That's just stupid even if you have a round chambered.

Knife would have been much better imo or go hands on if you have the skills like CD said.

Hindsight is 20/20, but from what I've heard of this particular incident, there were two bad guys with guns drawn. That seems like a hopeless situation, even with Condition 1.

Personally, I don't always carry. When I do, sometimes it's Condition 3. Sometimes Condition 1.

Life is full of risks, and I try to judge them each time I go out as best I can. I might end up being wrong someday; that's the chance I take.

The argument of empty chamber is an old one and very outdated! Besides the SA revolver there was always the fear with first gen 1911's that unless carried locked and cocked, a 1911 could go off as the hammer would be down and the firing pin extended onto the primer of a chambered round. This was never really an issue with the 1911, especially when kept in condition 1! Remember, there was a time when the 1911 was but one of a very few autos that you and i could purchase! With modern designs (including the 1911 70 and 80 series) this is no longer a concern, and a person is putting them self at additional risk FOR Carrying as apposed to not, because you have to present the weapon and then rack the slide before firing,not to mention dis engage any safety employed additionally! Train, Train, and then Train some more! Learn it, Live it, Know It, if you are going to trust your life to it!

And then I daresay, back in the day, a fella would put six in (gigity) if he knew he was in for it.. very dangerous otherwise.
Saddle stirrups clonking the hammer upon saddling, whatever.
But yea, when you cock one a them (the only way to fire it).. it go bang with an "empty" under the hammer.

Sometimes carrying commits you to fight. Say you're in the bathroom with pants unzipped. Someone walks in and bashes you in the back of the head. If you draw as a response, and it's got one chambered, you have a chance. If not, have you just supplied bad guy with a weapon? Though most likely you will now be shot with your own weapon, even if it's not you now, it'll be some other poor soul later, with weapon you supplied. Think about that.

Even when I carry a Glock, my thumb releases the [non-existent] safety on a presentation from the holster; dry firing, at the range, doesn't matter. I have handguns with and without manual safeties. I've noticed my thumb sweeping the [non-existent] safety on revolvers, which assures me that the muscle memory from practice is there regardless of the particular firearm being used at the moment. Everyone has to decide for themselves how they will carry, but for me it is always loaded with one in the chamber or under the hammer.

Sometimes carrying commits you to fight. Say you're in the bathroom with pants unzipped. Someone walks in and bashes you in the back of the head. If you draw as a response, and it's got one chambered, you have a chance. If not, have you just supplied bad guy with a weapon? Though most likely you will now be shot with your own weapon, even if it's not you now, it'll be some other poor soul later, with weapon you supplied. Think about that.
wtf

Even when I carry a Glock, my thumb releases the [non-existent] safety on a presentation from the holster; dry firing, at the range, doesn't matter. I have handguns with and without manual safeties. I've noticed my thumb sweeping the [non-existent] safety on revolvers, which assures me that the muscle memory from practice is there regardless of the particular firearm being used at the moment. Everyone has to decide for themselves how they will carry, but for me it is always loaded with one in the chamber or under the hammer.
That doesn't even make sense.

Hollywood sells the idea when actors cycle a round in the chamber of semiautomatic or lever action the situation is getting serious. Have overhead and been told by naïve people bad guys will leave upon hearing that noise? Television entertainment and movies are an awful place to get firearms training. Real world thugs and criminals might have excellent hearing but the last thing they should hear when confronted with a aimed preloaded weapon is the dirt being shoveled on their caskets.

When I hear a Glock being cocked, is when I know they're really serious!

Haven't figured out how to do that with mine yet.:(

Absolutely, I get so irritated when I hear things like that. Similarly people who think they can just show their gun and the bad guys will run away.

I tend think by the time anyone finds out I'm carrying a gun, they will have already been shot.
If someone seeing that I have a gun makes them run away, that's a far better solution than me having to shoot someone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top