Carry one in the chamber

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by oknow, Apr 18, 2017.

1. PotterCountyPa

PotterCountyPa
    Edmonds WA

I carry with a round in the chamber, but I am VERY picky about which handguns I will use. For instance, I will not carry almost all striker fired handguns since most of them have the "safety trigger" which does nothing to make the gun safer, and worse yet, gives you a false sense of security. IMHO, all GLOCKS are unsafe to carry with a round in the chamber, their triggers are light and they do not even have a safety. The best gun to carry with a round in the chamber is a hammered DA/SA with a long first shot trigger throw and a safety that will NOT easily be disengaged. The Ruger P series is excellent, and if they were lighter and single stack, they would be my choice for everyday carry. Currently, the only handgun which meets all my requirements for everyday carry with a round in the chamber is my little FIRST GENERATION Ruger LCP. It has a very long, stiff, trigger throw, and no useless "trigger safety" like the LCP Second Generation, which I would not own. I want a small, single stack 9MM with a hammered DA/SA and a GOOD safety, but I have not been able to find one. If anyone knows of such gun, please let me know.

2. hongkong2

hongkong2
    Seattle

I always use a stall instead of the urinals, sit with pants down just to the knees and my gun goes inside the pants right in front of me. You'll never leave your gun in a restroom this way...

MrMillspecer likes this.
  3. sigmadog

sigmadog
    Spokane area
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Does anyone ever tell you that your gun smells funny? ;)

MrMillspecer and albin25 like this.
  4. hongkong2

hongkong2
    Seattle

My holster is lined with dryer sheets :D

5. Pops1911

Pops1911
    Kent

Sad to say but it seems we have devolved into tawdry bathroom humor with this thread. That's EXACTLY why I love this forum!

Xaevian, orygun and sigmadog like this.
  6. hongkong2

hongkong2
    Seattle

Good humor always has a element of truth in it!

Pops1911 likes this.
  7. Oldtrader3

Oldtrader3
    Western Washington

Condition One are me!

oknow and orygun like this.
  8. ShootFirst

ShootFirst
    Southern Oregon

I don't carry my pistol even loaded as they are all gone due to that tragic boat accident that seem chronic among gun owners.

Seriously most wont chamber because they do not trust the firearm, and I say well then do not chamber if you are not comfortable. But you need to either get training to be comfortable or maybe consider just buying mace because the firearm may be useless when you need it.
    Compliance in a situation does not mean you live through it, be aware watch and if you can see their face it may be the last thing you see. I realize the video doesn't say that but its not even a last option if you think complying will save you in many cases it won't that false sense will get you killed so be at the ready because by the time you respond the criminal has already decided they are ending you if you do not follow thru before they do.

oknow likes this.
  9. CoastRange57

CoastRange57
    Western Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A lot of police officers and private citizens in the country will disagree with you.

hker71, Lilhigbee and oknow like this.
  10. hongkong2

hongkong2
    Seattle

Well this one may fit your criteria CZ-USA 91754 CZ 2075 RAMI BD 10+1/14+1 9mm 3

Xaevian likes this.
  11. wired

wired
    Yakima

The "useless trigger safety" is a mechanical block that won't release unless you release it by pulling the trigger. I truly fail to see why you wouldnt consider that a "safety"?

12. Mountainman38

Mountainman38
    Spokane

Probably because you don't have to consciously turn it off in order to fire.

13. mjbskwim

mjbskwim
    Salmon,Idaho
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

This is some of the silliest logic I have read. Maybe you should go to pepper spray?o_O

14. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

The only safety I want to truly rely on is keeping my finger off the trigger until I am ready to shoot and always watching where I point my muzzle.

Any gun ( in good working condition ) that is fully loaded , hammer at full cock , no safety or safety off and ready to fire , is still safe , if you keep your finger off the trigger and watch where your muzzle is pointing.

I feel that every firearm user should be "conditioned" to keep the finger off the trigger and constantly watching where their muzzle is pointing at all times , until it is second nature.

Conditions change and vary , so must you if you carry... One way of safe carry in a set of conditions may not be safe in a different set of conditions.
    So I get that "my way" or my thoughts may not work for you or even for me in every instance.
    But I still think that with those two points of safety hammed in you to do at all times will make you safer.
    Andy

sigmadog, Slobray, oknow and 2 others like this.
  15. CoastRange57

CoastRange57
    Western Oregon

You will find that in military or LEO trained people, or those who have taken the time to get that type of training privately.

Being around people who do not have that habit makes me nervous, keeping an eye on them, say something to them or leave that scene.

oknow and AndyinEverson like this.
  16. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Yep... My Dad and Grandad ( Both Army veterans ) taught me that way ... And it was re-enforced during my time in Service.
    Andy

CoastRange57 and oknow like this.
  17. wired

wired
    Yakima

But you do. You consciously have to pull the trigger. The trigger does not pull itself. The trigger safety is a completely separate device from the trigger itself. Try pulling the trigger from the side. Its not going to fire the gun unless that safety in the center of the trigger moves to release the trigger.

CoastRange57, mkwerx and oknow like this.
  18. CLT65

CLT65
    Yamhill County

Absolutely. My son is 11 and has been learning to shoot. We were out just a few days ago, learning to shoot a .22 pistol. Those two things were the topic of the day, before even pulling the trigger. I don't know how many times I said "Finger off the trigger!"

He's a sharp kid and does very well. I have no doubt that in short order it will be absolutely second nature for him keep his finger off the trigger until he's ready to pull it, and always watch his muzzle direction.

AndyinEverson likes this.
  19. billdeserthills

billdeserthills
    Cave Creek, Arizony

20. Flopsweat

Flopsweat
    Slightly right of center

From the article:
    Well put. I would not carry with an empty chamber.
    Now, there are military organizations who train carry this way.

So I would say that if you're very talented and you train for it, you may be able to draw almost as effectively. Almost.