JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who does that?! And why? There's a pistol for sale in the classifieds, the seller states the pistol was carried but never fired :eek:. I don't carry all that often, but when I do, it's a pistol that's had at least 500 flawless rounds through it, and at least a box of that 500 is whatever I'll be using for carry ammo. Why would you even think about carrying a gun you'd never fired? This just strikes me as really wrong, on so many levels. Sorry about the rant, guys, I normally just let stuff like this slide, but this got under my skin, so thanks for "listening". Later.

Dave

I mean personally my carry has been fired as I train with my carry weapon but some people simply have carry weapons and "duty" weapons. I have both but train with both. It's a free country so people do what they do.

I have a couple pistols used for defense I never shot or hardly shot. One I packed hunting for several years before taking a shot out it. It probably still has less than 10 rounds through it. Some platforms are so reliable you are wasting ammo to put more than a box through for testing.

What the pistol was packed for makes a difference. May have only been packed for other reasons besides self defense. In my example, hunting the pistol is a back up. The odds I am attacked by a bear or human, my rifle fails and the pistol fails is less than winning the lottery. If I have that bad of luck, let the bear eat me. Many people pack a pistol for a little more peace of mind and either don't know to test it or don't care if it has been proven.

Shooting hundreds of rounds with a carry pistol using the (typically hollow point) ammunition you plan to use in case of self-defense is a highly recommended best practice. As is formal training for new owners.

Most modern firearms are very reliable and 500 rounds of good hollow points means $500 or more and unless you live far outside of cities, probably multiple trips to an indoor firing range, adding more to the cost.

A $500 handgun quickly becomes a $1,000+ investment that some cannot afford. I understand the extreme risk of being in a self-defense shooting situation with unproven gear, but also understand why some cannot. I have some firearms that have many rounds through them, others are as yet, unfired.

If I should choose to sell an as new, unfired gun, it's a potential advantage to the buyer, not a problem.

Last Edited:
Because it's their right and people are stupid.

06758CE2-5EAA-4892-823A-66A593A6E533.jpeg

Well, sometimes the gun has a "break-in period" recommended by the manufacturer, and I've read many postings on this site about guns being finicky until they got a few hundred rounds through them. So, a finicky gun might not be your friend at the wrong time.

However, let us not forget that ammo was once nearly impossible to find (well, at below stupid prices anyway), so maybe there wasn't the ability to test/train with the gun.:s0092:

Unless I am mistaken, the "500 rounds" are not teaching the gun a damn thing.

What we are really talking about is training.
Agreed. Breaking in a new gun is a good idea but some of this notion is partly a carry forward from the old days when hollow point ammo was new, uncommon but better for carry-defense; older semi-autos could be prone to fail-to-feed HPs without a throat-&-polish job. Revolvers never had that issue but not many carry revolvers for self-defense this century. Most modern semi-autos are better designed to feed HPs.

I have a couple pistols used for defense I never shot
One I packed hunting for several years before taking a shot out it.
How would you know where these guns were 'putting their ammo' ? Or if they even functioned properly? (and please don't say 'dry firing' because that ain't a benchmark)

I guess shooting for fun and recreation isn't a part of everyone's gun ownership ideals.

Sadly I am guilty of doing this. I've had my CHL for many years, only carry sometimes, yet depending on the weapon I carry, may not have fired it. I'm lame

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top