JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How would you know where these guns were 'putting their ammo' ? Or if they even functioned properly? (and please don't say 'dry firing' because that ain't a benchmark)

I guess shooting for fun and recreation isn't a part of everyone's gun ownership ideals.
J-frame smiths don't have much for sights or are intended to shoot much distance. A couple dry fire trigger pulls show the action works, quality smith revolvers are super reliable. I have other pistols I have ran SD ammo through to check reliability. I have different levels of faith in guns depending on many factors.

For years now, I have shot 1000's of rounds a year competing in monthly pistol and rifle matches. I have no desire to recreation shoot a J-frame used as a back up. From my experience shooting, reloading and modifying guns for competition, I understand what is or isn't reliable and my capabilities as a shooter.

J-frame smiths don't have much for sights or are intended to shoot much distance. A couple dry fire trigger pulls show the action works, quality smith revolvers are super reliable. I have other pistols I have ran SD ammo through to check reliability. I have different levels of faith in guns depending on many factors.
Well, you didn't mention the gun but I understand considering I own a J-Frame Smith (mod 60 no dash) - but I love to shoot mine! - not a lot but a couple cylinderfulls when out shooting in general.

Sadly I am guilty of doing this. I've had my CHL for many years, only carry sometimes, yet depending on the weapon I carry, may not have fired it. I'm lame
After my wife bought me a Kimber Raptor for my birthday, I wore that thing everywhere for about a week. Granted, I never leave the house, but still…
Also, I'm lame because I have 1,000 rounds of 45acp and the pistol remains unfired. :(

I know you shot that gun before you ever put it in your carry holster!!!

BTW, wasn't it you that reminded me to remove the factory grease from the barrel of my new Ruger 22/45?
Nope, wasn't me.

I carried my G48 for a few weeks before I was able to shoot it. It ran 100% reliable of course. I absolutely do NOT recommend that practice though.

Who does that?! And why? There's a pistol for sale in the classifieds, the seller states the pistol was carried but never fired :eek:. I don't carry all that often, but when I do, it's a pistol that's had at least 500 flawless rounds through it, and at least a box of that 500 is whatever I'll be using for carry ammo. Why would you even think about carrying a gun you'd never fired? This just strikes me as really wrong, on so many levels. Sorry about the rant, guys, I normally just let stuff like this slide, but this got under my skin, so thanks for "listening". Later.

Dave
I'm with you on this 100%. Few reasons for it. Recent gun purchase, few hundred rounds at the range, flawless. 300 rounds in a class, flawless. Box of self defense ammo I was planning on using in it, three malfs in two mags. No Go, at least with that ammo.

Here is another consideration. What if you have to use said firearm that remains un-shot by you and tragically one of your rounds misses the threatening felon and hits little Timmy riding is skateboard behind said felon. Prosecutors are civil attorneys are going to be all over you for the negligent (at best) and criminally reckless (likely) behavior you displayed by not even training with your carry gun.

The other area where this manifests itself is with holsters. With my duty holsters I would have at least 500 draws with a new style before carrying it. I do fewer now with carry holster but fewer moving parts.

(Note: "you" as used above does not mean @daved20319 you, but a generic you), because we agree on your premise.
Do you normally put 1000 flawless miles on a brand new car before taking it off the lot?
Apples, meet oranges. Would I take a brand new car on a 5,000 mile road trip? No, sure some have without issue.
After my wife bought me a Kimber Raptor for my birthday, I wore that thing everywhere for about a week. Granted, I never leave the house, but still…
Also, I'm lame because I have 1,000 rounds of 45acp and the pistol remains unfired. :(
Of the three Kimbers in this household, two went back immediately with issues. They would have had a 0% chance of running a mag of SD ammo from the factory. They now run like sewing machines with all ammo but there was a lesson for me in this. (One was a Raptor.)

I'm with you on this 100%. Few reasons for it. Recent gun purchase, few hundred rounds at the range, flawless. 300 rounds in a class, flawless. Box of self defense ammo I was planning on using in it, three malfs in two mags. No Go, at least with that ammo.

Here is another consideration. What if you have to use said firearm that remains un-shot by you and tragically one of your rounds misses the threatening felon and hits little Timmy riding is skateboard behind said felon. Prosecutors are civil attorneys are going to be all over you for the negligent (at best) and criminally reckless (likely) behavior you displayed by not even training with your carry gun.

The other area where this manifests itself is with holsters. With my duty holsters I would have at least 500 draws with a new style before carrying it. I do fewer now with carry holster but fewer moving parts.

(Note: "you" as used above does not mean @daved20319 you, but a generic you), because we agree on your premise.

Apples, meet oranges. Would I take a brand new car on a 5,000 mile road trip? No, sure some have without issue.

Of the three Kimbers in this household, two went back immediately with issues. They would have had a 0% chance of running a mag of SD ammo from the factory. They now run like sewing machines with all ammo but there was a lesson for me in this. (One was a Raptor.)
Yes, I would. A brand new car has absolutely everything under warranty.

Yes, I would. A brand new car has absolutely everything under warranty.
Agree, as my "new" car has already had the rear dif replaced, the transmission replaced, the headlights sometimes go off and the display screen is sketchy. I would not want my bride driving it in the middle of a road trip to and get stranded. That was just my point. Agree, everything (that they have been able to fix) has been covered and got to put miles on the loaner car as well.

Well, sometimes the gun has a "break-in period" recommended by the manufacturer, and I've read many postings on this site about guns being finicky until they got a few hundred rounds through them. So, a finicky gun might not be your friend at the wrong time.

However, let us not forget that ammo was once nearly impossible to find (well, at below stupid prices anyway), so maybe there wasn't the ability to test/train with the gun.:s0092:
That's why you buy a Glock. Hahaha.

Glock, Hk , CZ and most Sigs run out of the box ! The revolvers will work without question I did have a Rossi that was questionable tho .
Sig 1911s do not. I have first hand experience with that. Haha. The scorpion and the c3. Finicky little bastards.

We get this a lot and I'll be honest it's always bugged me. I know most modern production guns should run fine out of the box with both JHP and FMJ loads, but you're still dealing with manufacturing - statistically every manufacturer is going to let a lemon out the door, and I have seen lemons slip through QC from pretty much every manufacturer out there.

Personally I won't carry a firearm unless I've put a few hundred rounds of FMJs and few boxes of JHPs through it, but ultimately people are free to do what they want. I just always hope it never bites them in the rear in the future.

I think it's a lot like schoolwork - some people do the bare minimum to pass (bought a gun, ammo, holster, that's the end of it) some try a little harder (gun, ammo, holster, occasional practice), and some go for the A+ (gun, ammo, holster, classes, IFAK, etc.).

Who does that?! And why?
Maybe this is why?

-492f-a2ba-81c9896b7f1c_zps4f33b2db-e1436754968387.jpg

It seems like most guns sold lately, regardless of age or type, have 50-300 round count.
I have a S&W 1917 .45acp revolver. If I were to sell it and someone asked about round count, I'd say 200 rounds.

Yep, it's had 200 rounds through it. I know this for a fact because that's what I shot through it on its last range trip. So I can guarantee it's fired 200 rounds. Oh, did you mean total? Well gee, it is a century old.. gosh, who knows...

Sorry, I know that doesn't contribute anything useful to the thread; I just like old guns. :D

Just to add something relevant: no, I wouldn't want to carry a gun I hadn't tried out first, with at least a few magazines or cylinders full. I've had too many minor issues with new (or new-to-me) guns over the years. If there's a problem, I want to know about it before I rely on it.

Heck, I even try out my matches before going camping. "Yep, that one works. And that one works. and that one works..." :oops:

How would you know where these guns were 'putting their ammo' ? Or if they even functioned properly? (and please don't say 'dry firing' because that ain't a benchmark)

I guess shooting for fun and recreation isn't a part of everyone's gun ownership ideals.
It helps if you are a reloader, especially if living in Central Oregon - to shoot to your hearts content.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top