JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Barney Fife comes to mind. Bullets make it heavy.
1641489670994.jpeg

Many semi autos still require a break-in period or special tricks before they become reliable, if internet gun info is to be believed. For example, I've seen people say that you should load FNX45tac magazines fully and leave them loaded for a week before use, as you might get problems with brand new unused mags. But you can break in the mags before use by simply leaving loaded a week, they claim. Likewise I saw someone recommending that a particular semiautomatic should be left a week with the gun with slide racked to break in spring, supposedly to prevent the first sessions of use giving multiple jams or other problems. And a semi auto can still refuse to work flawlessly with some ammo brands but not all. The function of the semi auto also assumes that you have a firm grip. People who "limp-wrist" their guns may find certain makes and models fail to function for them even if they function flawlessly for others and have good reputations. New shooters may need to change their grip in order to get reliability from their new semiauto.

When I was a kiddie, my dad said always run 500 rounds of any ammo you are planning to use for SD through a semiauto before you depend on it. But flawless semi autos were rarer in those days, and ammo was less expensive. These days I'd be reluctant to shoot a full 500 rounds of SD ammo at $1/round through a semi auto before carrying. At $500 - $1000 for the pistol and $500 for the ammo, that takes a pistol out of my price range. I think I'll settle for using info from this website and sticking to guns known for reliability plus putting 100 rounds of SD ammo plus 100 rounds of practice ammo through the gun before depending on it.

I really cannot imagine carrying a gun for SD or hunting or anything else without having at least one serious shooting session with it. That's required not only for me to have confidence that the gun will function but also to adjust sights and/or establish point of aim with the ammo I intend to carry.

The same applies to revolvers, even though I buy only SW, Ruger or Colt. Especially since I buy revolvers used, and there's a danger that a prior owner has done a spring replacement or trigger job that causes the gun to be unreliable (such as lighter replacement springs causing failure to fire because of light primer strikes or polished action causing gun to fire from cocked position without trigger pull). Before buying a used revolver I always inspect the screw heads for signs the revolver was dismantled by someone using the wrong kind of screwdrivers. I figure if they used the wrong kind of screwdrivers they might have done other stupid things too. However even new revolvers are capable of flaws. I had a Colt Anaconda .44mag break its firing pin on the third round I fired. And a Charter Arms Bulldog .44sp fell into pieces on the third round. And a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22 fired only when it felt like it. (Light primer strikes.)

That will become more common as libs that purchased on a knee jerk start have Buyer's Remorse.
Had that exact scenario this summer. Somebody with a fresh account listed a Glock here. I had a hard time convincing him that it was a Gen 3 as he got burned at a show by a hustler who told him it was a Gen 4. He and his wife were flaming libs. He then burned me in the transaction on the ammo he included in the listing. Then his wife demanded that I provide some sort of record or a bill of sale (not my sale) to her with my ODL and SOC. Then he turned to the FFL and demanded he turn over my personal info. He carried the gun and never ran a round through it.

Last Edited:
A car can look to be in great shape and maybe it is but that does not mean the brakes work. To me not testing your carry piece with live ammunition is ignorant in my opinion. You don't honestly know what you have till you cycle the firearm with live ammunition.

Agree, as my "new" car has already had the rear dif replaced, the transmission replaced, the headlights sometimes go off and the display screen is sketchy. I would not want my bride driving it in the middle of a road trip to and get stranded. That was just my point. Agree, everything (that they have been able to fix) has been covered and got to put miles on the loaner car as well.
It was probably built on a Friday or a Monday… :eek::eek::eek:

All the liberal twat first time buyers got guns in the pandemic buying frenzy, have been fire selling their sheep hits the fan investment (SHTFI) over the past 5 months or so. It sure made for some good acquisitions but dealing with the stupids sure took the fun factor out of the equation.

Apparently I need to go shoot my G26 carry gun to appease you judgey folks :s0030:
Yes, please. :) However, I'll throw no missiles at ya. :s0005:
At least one good shooting session including putting a couple boxes of your carry ammo through it.

That's all I did with the G23 I had. After all, it was a Glock. Unfortunately it turned out I can't shoot light guns well. But still plenty good enough to carry for SD when I lived in Corvallis and wouldn't be firing the gun except in actual SD against big targets at very short distances. For home defense, woods carry, hiking, hunting, plinking, or recreation I used my revolvers. Had no desire to shoot or practice with a gun I wasn't all that accurate with. But when I was walking my dogs around Corvallis at night, the lightweight Glock was a dream to carry. It was a gun I only shot in one good session but carried daily for a few years. When I moved to current location near McDonald Forest and I had a duck flock and needed to routinely take out small would-be duck-dinner-grabbing predators I needed both more accuracy than I had with my G23 and night capabilities. And we have cougars and bears in my neighborhood. So just a walk in my neighborhood is sorta woods carry. So I switched to a 686 snubby and put Crimson Trace grips on it for my EDC. The G23 itself would have been accurate enough, but I wasn't accurate enough with it. I have a slight tremble in arms and hands; heavier guns cancel and stabilize the tremble. Light guns dont. My 686 weighs 36 oz unloaded.

Carrying a gun without ever shooting it, is the equivalent of carrying a micro/subcompact "mouse" gun that you can't hit the target with. If you are proficient with a small gun then that's awesome. But I can't count how many times I've heard "I don't shoot it good but it's better then nothing…."

Carrying a gun without ever shooting it, is the equivalent of carrying a micro/subcompact "mouse" gun that you can't hit the target with. If you are proficient with a small gun then that's awesome. But I can't count how many times I've heard "I don't shoot it good but it's better then nothing…."
I've had a G26 before, just haven't gotten around to shooting this one, mostly because my buddy is going to buy my DW ECO so it's been retired from my carry.

I've had a G26 before, just haven't gotten around to shooting this one, mostly because my buddy is going to buy my DW ECO so it's been retired from my carry.
I didn't mean to direct that at you. It's just MY opinion in general. It's a Glock. We all know it will go bang. That's why it's the only gun I trust my life on as far as a daily carry goes.

I've been needing to get around to it, just haven't yet :s0092:
The G48 I'm currently carrying was taken out to the range before carrying. I ran a total of 50 rounds through with no malfunctions (it's a Glock so…) and called it good. It obviously has more rounds then that now but I was confident after the 50. 3 mags of ball ammo, 2 mags of defensive ammo and I was content.

Last Edited:
Before I started carrying on the daily I reasoned that if I ever had a malfunction I would need to be able to clear it without looking.

I spent the next months repeatedly handling the gun until I could field strip and reassemble it while watching TV.

IMHO, we (as a group) devote an inordinate amount of time learning how to Mozambique a tweaker and not enough time becoming one with our guns.

Before I started carrying on the daily I reasoned that if I ever had a malfunction I would need to be able to clear it without looking.

I spent the next months repeatedly handling the gun until I could field strip and reassemble it while watching TV.

IMHO, we (as a group) devote an inordinate amount of time learning how to Mozambique a tweaker and not enough time becoming one with our guns.
Exactly. Many moons ago I bought a gun I was hoping to use as my EDC. It was tiny and easy to conceal. But within the first month of handling it I realized I couldn't rack the slide, or really even shoot it comfortably, because of arthritis in my hands. It went in the safe and only came out for target practice after that.

There's no way I would have put it in a holster and gone out of the house without knowing I could confidently do everything I needed to do with it.

Yahtzee!!!

I know it's early, but this is in the running for self defense post of the month. Great post!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top