JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well first I do no buy a car with out at least a short test drive, then playing with all the buttons to see if I can reach them and adjusting the seat to see if my legs will fit and still be able to reach the steering wheel.

I do not buy a gun with out checking it over for fit finish, slide smoothness and that the mag drops free.

I have turned around and sold or traded off guns because of how they shot as sight picture was not what I wanted or I felt it would take to much time to learn the manual of arms as the controls, even though at first glance seem to be what I wanted did not work as smooth as I thought they would.

Even though a gun is made by a reputable company does not mean bad stuff does not make it through the cracks and you just bought the one in a million that will not feed those hollow points your packing because you never tested it.

With a car you at least have 4 wheels, a hard protective shell, seat belts and air bags and in most new cars other safety measures to help protect you in a bad situation but with a gun you have your soft body, your gun and a bad guy that wants to kill you so it would be nice to know your gun actually works.

Just my opinion

I can see several reasons for a carry piece having never been fired,, the biggest is someone bought it, but there was zero ammo available for it anywhere at any price. Someone may have decided that carry wasn't for them, or that the idea/responsibility was beyond them. None of these things is wrong, and if someone bought a gun and then decided it wasn't their thing, and is now doing the right thing and selling it honestly and declaring it was carried and un fired, that's a good thing!

As for me, EVERY new to me pistol or revolver gets tested out before it ever rides the leather, I want to make sure it shoots and functions as expected, and that the ammo I wish to load for carry duty will actually function in said piece and will produce acceptable accuracy, and if I need to adjust sights, I will do so before I ever think of carrying that piece! I think its highly irresponsible to carry a pistol without having ever actually fired it with the carry ammo of choice, there are way to many bad things that can happen and you re setting your self up for some very serious legal ramifications for not doing your due diligence!
What if the pistol doesn't cycle your carry load, what if it shoots them high and to the left, what if it doesn't have enough barrel length to get defensive ammo to perform as intended, or that the velocities are so far below minimums that it cant function at all, how will you ever know any of that until you actually fire it? And remember, YOU are responsible for every single bullet you fire, and if you are going to take the chance and put your faith in Gaston's finest, you might be in for a very unpleasant surprise! Placing your faith in something like a Glock and carrying the same ammo as everyone else doesn't give you a pass, all the above still applies!

I can see several reasons for a carry piece having never been fired,, the biggest is someone bought it, but there was zero ammo available for it anywhere at any price. Someone may have decided that carry wasn't for them, or that the idea/responsibility was beyond them. None of these things is wrong, and if someone bought a gun and then decided it wasn't their thing, and is now doing the right thing and selling it honestly and declaring it was carried and un fired, that's a good thing!

As for me, EVERY new to me pistol or revolver gets tested out before it ever rides the leather, I want to make sure it shoots and functions as expected, and that the ammo I wish to load for carry duty will actually function in said piece and will produce acceptable accuracy, and if I need to adjust sights, I will do so before I ever think of carrying that piece! I think its highly irresponsible to carry a pistol without having ever actually fired it with the carry ammo of choice, there are way to many bad things that can happen and you re setting your self up for some very serious legal ramifications for not doing your due diligence!
What if the pistol doesn't cycle your carry load, what if it shoots them high and to the left, what if it doesn't have enough barrel length to get defensive ammo to perform as intended, or that the velocities are so far below minimums that it cant function at all, how will you ever know any of that until you actually fire it? And remember, YOU are responsible for every single bullet you fire, and if you are going to take the chance and put your faith in Gaston's finest, you might be in for a very unpleasant surprise! Placing your faith in something like a Glock and carrying the same ammo as everyone else doesn't give you a pass, all the above still applies!
Good post.

I have owned a dozen Glocks and have never had a problem with any of them, I still shoot them prior to carry, not out of concern with reliability/function or to break in but to see how the individual gun shoots especially since I always replace the stock sights with real ones.

"Carried but never fired" could mean someone bought a gun, tested some holsters and clothing with it in the comfort of their own home over the space of a few weeks, and then ended up wanting to try something else instead. Maybe they already had a vetted carry gun or multiple, or they were a busy enough person for loss of interest in the gun to happen before their next shooting trip. Not the end of the world.

That will become more common as libs that purchased on a knee jerk start have Buyer's Remorse.
606oww.jpg

I have owned a dozen Glocks and have never had a problem with any of them, I still shoot them prior to carry, not out of concern with reliability/function or to break in but to see how the individual gun shoots especially since I always replace the stock sights with real ones.
Definitely boringly reliable ugly AF but reliable !

I've seen a video on youtube about 1st gun buyers, buying Glocks and realizing the guns don't have a safety and then trading them or listing them up for sale in new condition or never fired.

There was a classified that ran through recently marked as "New. Less than 200 rounds through it."

What the seller might actually mean is:

This gun is awesome and has never been fired in a defensive shooting.

There was a classified that ran through recently marked as "New. Less than 200 rounds through it."

What the seller might actually mean is:

This gun is awesome and has never been fired in a defensive shooting.
Or: "Never been fired. Extremely accurate." What's that supposed to mean? Never missed a target? I guess that's true.

Who does that?! And why? There's a pistol for sale in the classifieds, the seller states the pistol was carried but never fired :eek:. I don't carry all that often, but when I do, it's a pistol that's had at least 500 flawless rounds through it, and at least a box of that 500 is whatever I'll be using for carry ammo. Why would you even think about carrying a gun you'd never fired? This just strikes me as really wrong, on so many levels. Sorry about the rant, guys, I normally just let stuff like this slide, but this got under my skin, so thanks for "listening". Later.

Dave
I worked with a deputy at the Sherriff's department that had a Colt Mustang, one day I saw it and asked how it shot? His answer surprised me.
He said" I don't know I have never fired it!"
My next question was how do you know it will work when you need it? He said "It's a Colt."
I found out later he had never cleaned it either! I don't think I could do that. DR

I've seen a video on youtube about 1st gun buyers, buying Glocks and realizing the guns don't have a safety and then trading them or listing them up for sale in new condition or never fired.
Pulled the trigger back for three weeks and it never did go click.

Few years back, I had a friend (no, seriously, an actual friend) who picked up an INOX Beretta Tomcat, dry-fired it a bit while watching television, loaded it up with some Win. Silvertips in .32 ACP, carried it for over six months (he said every day). Sold it to me for a song, like half of what they were going for new, and it looked mint. Took it to the range. The firing pin was broken (happened during his dry-firing with no snap-caps).

Easy fix, I still made out on the deal big-time, but did wonder what would've happened if my friend, carrying his Italian mouse-gun, would've had to pull it for self-defense?

Even a Glock or a SIG, I'll run at least 200 of the quality JHPs I use for carry through it before I'll wear it out in public.

P.S. No, I would NEVER pack a .32 as my primary carry gun (maybe back-up to my back-up). The Tomcat is just a cool little pistol.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top