JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In this day and age, it's all about pictures. I don't sell rusty guns because I don't buy them in the first place. When I've sold on Gunbroker, I've described the amount of remaining finish by percentage, which has been an accepted method for quite some time. That, with pictures, should give buyers a much better sense of the goods offered than subjective grading.
Here seems a problem. Photos may be older, of the firearm in question when it was last all shiney and clean, oiled maybe.. then socked away in a gun sock in somewhere humid, then sold and shipped as is with surface rust... what then? "Item not as described"?

Here seems a problem. Photos may be older, of the firearm in question when it was last all shiney and clean, oiled maybe.. then socked away in a gun sock in somewhere humid, then sold and shipped as is with surface rust... what then? "Item not as described"?
Anything is possible. I think using photos as the basis for describing a listing is a lot more accurate than verbal grading. Doctored photos are a type of fraud that can't be denied like wiggly NRA grades might be explained away. The idea of using "dated" pictures, that is, inaccurate due to degraded condition over time, that is probably not a very common practice. It takes time and careless use to incur significant change in condition. I just don't think that is something that is much practiced in online guns sales. And as you observe, subject to "not as described," surely.

Pictures!!! Otherwise, what on earth are we arguing?
The rust was mainly internal, and the pictures provided by the seller did not show any of it.

I think we can all agree that the seller should have included pictures of the rust, regardless of the condition grade used. But I think there's still value in using the right words, and the discussion is about which words correctly describe the condition.

I almost never sell a gun, but any time I sell anything, I try my very best to disclose any imperfections. Lots of good photos are a must.

Having something arrived with undisclosed rust would be a problem.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews