JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got into an argument on the internet today because I'm pedantic, and I thought I'd drag my local experts into too.

The Background

We're using the "NRA Modern Gun Condition Standards" as defined here: http://www.nramuseum.org/gun-info-research/evaluating-firearms-condition.aspx

Specifically these definitions:

GOOD: In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.
FAIR: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.

The Scenario

A modern firearm is sold with the description of "Good" condition. It arrives with a significant amount of rust on it. The rust does not impair functionality, but is deep enough to leave pitting if it were removed.

The Question

Does the firearm meet the standard of "Good" condition?

The Positions

Group A believes "Good" is the correct description because that standard does not specifically preclude rust. It is not significant enough to interfere with normal functionality, so the "No corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning" language covers its presence.

Group B believes that "Good" is not correct, because the "Fair" condition category specifically says "no rust" and it wouldn't make sense for an item to qualify for a given grade without meeting the requirements of the lower grades first. The "no rust" requirement is implied for every grade higher than the one it is specified in, and does not need to be repeated in every one.

Which group are you in and why?

Last Edited:
Group B

The way I was taught each group is built on the previous one, so if rust is precluded in one group it is precluded in all subsequent groups which matches the argument you presented

The Scenario

A modern firearm is sold with the description of "Good" condition. It arrives with a significant amount of rust on it. The rust does not impair functionality, but is deep enough to leave pitting if it were removed.
It sounds to me the gun doesn't even meet the fair condition cited if it has visible rust.
My take on the rating cited is neither allow for rust and "good" addresses function while "fair" addresses safety only, in regards to pitting or corrosion ....its just an odd confusing way of describing how much cosmetic corrosion the gun has...

Group B is correct.

If "no rust" disqualifies the gun in question from meeting "Fair" condition, then it also disqualifies the gun from meeting "Good" condition.

New In Box

Excellent (may be opened box but otherwise new)

Good -usually "shooter grade"

Fair -no rust; but worn parts may need replacing

Poor- significant rust, parts need replacing, corrosion and pits may interfere with gun functionality, but may still be shootable (see Mosin Nagants, some recently imported SKS from Albania?)

Unsafe- worst of the worst. Wall hangers, yard art, theater props, museum relics if taken from the seas ( :rolleyes: )
Rust everywhere, parts lost/missing, significant metallurgic damage, bent/crushed parts, so on.

I got into an argument on the internet today ...The rust does not impair functionality, but is deep enough to leave pitting if it were removed.

Per the categories, it is good. Fair indicates that rust can affect function, while it is cosmetic in "good." "Fair" is a worn, heavily used gun - may need parts in addition to refinishing. If unhappy, (and if possible) the buyer should send it back or sell it.

Rust, especially rust that will leave behind pitting does not meet fair, therefore it cannot meet good and is likely poor in reality. Group A is just trying to justify being crappy people

Getting into an argument over the condition of seller's firearm is a "good" way to waste time....and lose out on a firearm.

Does the condition meet your standards for the asking price....?
If it does...buy it...if not , make a polite counter offer..
Andy

Last Edited:
Getting into an argument over the condition of seller's firearm is a "good" way to waste time....and lose out on a firearm.

Does the condition meet your standards for the asking price....?
If it does...buy it...if not , make a polite counter offer..
Andy
I imagine that this purchase may have been completed already.
If so , I understand OP's ire.

1646923700600.png

Firmly in the B camp... the firearm is in "poor" or warse condition according to the guidelines supplied.

If I bought this firearm online and the pics did not show that amount of rust, I would be very peeved when I rx'd it. Esp since the price asked is usually based on the stated condition. Duh.

Last Edited:
Firmly in the B camp... the firearms is in "poor" or warse condition according to the guidelines supplied.

If I bought this firearm online and the pics did not show that amount of rust, I would be very peeved when I rx'd it. Esp since the price asked is usually based on the stated condition. Duh.
Does "warse" condition indicate it's a beat up former Warsaw Pact gun?

;):D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR