JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The TIME TO SHOOT is when Not Shooting brings a worse outcome than Shooting.

If you are debating whether it is time to shoot, it is probably NOT time to shoot.

If you are worried about not shooting when it is time to shoot, get some training in Decision Making under Stress. I don't know if it is ok to plug the company, but there is a great place on the other side of the street when you turn at the light to go to Tri-County.

There's also a big difference from state to state as well when self defense is against an animal.

While the rules are similar to pulling your gun and/or shooting a person who maybe or is a threat. The rules change somewhat when it comes to animals. This also varies from state to state and even within states local jurisdictions.

example.... here in Texas I own two properties. One inside the big metroplex of Dallas Fort Worth. The other out in the middle of Texas where my closest neighbor is 5 miles away.

If I have a rabbit eating my garden and cause destruction of my garden in Dallas, I would not be allowed to shoot and kill it. At my other property I could. self defense of my garden. Perfectly legal. The part that makes it illegal in Dallas, is discharge of weapon when not used for self defense to prevent loss of life etc... same rules as shooting a person. It's a safety thing.

In Utah, at my cabin there, I can't shoot a bear for simply being on my property. I could if he was about to attack me or my family. I also can't shoot and kill the bear without first showing documentation of major physical damage to my property or livestock. Simply tearing down a fence or tearing off a door won't suffice either.

So in summary... keep in mind that Self Defense against animals has a different set of rules, and depends on location. Sometimes The rules for shooting an animal will be no different then shooting a human. Especially endangered species.

Also dangerous animals that have escaped captivity (at least in Texas) can be shot immediately anywhere at anytime. such as a Tiger or Lion which has escaped a local zoo and you see it in your backyard. You can shoot it, no questions asked. Just don't miss.

My personal commitment for this year has been a 1 for 1 for 1 mentality. For each hour of live fire training, I'm spending at least an hour studying / preparing on the legal side and another hour dry fire / non-shooting training.
In regards to your responsible commitment, I toss out the name Claude Werner, Tactical Professor, a wise old coot who focuses on thinking over shooting, yet is well versed and constantly wins revolver competitions.
JIC you haven't heard of him
Get on his email list

I don't see it as "Can I?"

I see it as "Do I have any other viable choice?"
Age and physical disabilities make both fight and flight unlikely to save me.
Unfortunately, that also makes me look like prey to sub-human predators.
If I have some other workable choice, I will choose that over shooting.
Allowing Orcs to do me harm is NOT a workable choice.

My Lord has rules about killing folks.
Shall not murder, has saved a lot of dogs that should have been shot down.
It is your God given right to kill those that try and kill you.
Self defense is the only reason, unless heaven does not matter.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top