JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can I shoot him now?" -The Internet

"Are you in reasonable fear of immediate, otherwise unavoidable, death or grievous bodily harm to yourself or another innocent person?"
That's the answer to the question in the title whether he has pepper spray or a gun or bare hands.
If there's one of him or five of him.
If you're in the middle of the street in a state with a duty to retreat or in your bedroom in a state with a castle doctrine law.
If you're in a plane or on a train or on a boat while afloat.
Unless you can articulate that answer in the affirmative, you should not shoot him, Sam I Am.

- Tam

This has been the question of 2020 @RicInOR with all the new gun owners. As I've ranted in many other threads here in the past six months, all too many gun owners and daily gun carriers are woefully unprepared to answer this question...in a split second. Even when we do prepare as much as humanly possible, it is still likely going to be the most difficult decision any of us have to make in our entire life. Yet many take a class in length for their permit where their coffee is not even cold by the end of the "training" and are good to go. So they think.

I'm for mandating nothing and big on personal responsibility in this area. I hope the events of 2020 have been a wake up call for some of us to think a deeper understanding of use of force laws and actions would be a good idea. My personal commitment for this year has been a 1 for 1 for 1 mentality. For each hour of live fire training, I'm spending at least an hour studying / preparing on the legal side and another hour dry fire / non-shooting training.

See what you made me do again!!!

/Rant off

Last Edited:
I don't want to shoot anybody.
This is the correct answer!:s0155:
When I was a young age, the Grand Sobo taught me the difference between "want" and "need".
I believe this is one of those occasions where one must be well-versed in the nuanced difference of these two words...

When I was a young age, the Grand Sobo taught me the difference between "want" and "need".
I believe this is one of those occasions where one must be well-versed in the nuanced difference of these two words...
Grand Sobo was very wise indeed!:D

My shooting buddies and I have gone from shooting steel from a table in the desert to running live fire tactical drills in full battle gear. Half of the guys are combat vets with tours in Iraq and Afhganistan, so they are kind enough to share their skills and training with us. The armor, plate carrier, and gear are heavy, but I'm gradually getting used to it- how our troops wear this gear to fight is impressive.

Of course we all talk about the civil unrest, the knuckleheads like antfifa, NFAC and BLMs brandishing firearms but clearly knowing little/nothing armed combat. There may be many of them, but it's clear they are dumbasses and any patriot groups going up against them will smoke them easily. It's also clear to me that there will be NO BIG BOOG- the police and NG will take these armed leftists out quickly, and those that survive will run histerically for their lives and hide. Of course many of us stand ready in case law enforcement and NG are overwhelmed, but I just don't see that happening.

It would not suprise me if I will be one of the millions, sitting in front of the TV with my AR and plate carrier on eating popcorn. JMO. :D

Geno

A lot of people I think are not prepared for the intense and immediate decisions that come during a self defense encounter, regardless of wether or not the trigger gets pulled. It is an emotionally draining experience not to be taken lightly.

the state of readiness, situational awareness, and demeanor one must have while carrying to defend oneself I feel is often overlooked by newer people to concealed carrying.

we must never allow ourselves to become complacent or to be baited into situations, especially in today's climate of unrest in major city's.

In regards to folks who wish to do you harm...but have little to no training...

I have seen more than few well trained , well equipped US soldiers get wounded or die , from being shot , by those who were less well equipped or trained.

Never underestimate your opponent or whatever passes for luck , when one has to shoot.
Andy

*Edit to add :
In fact ....given that your opponent may be untrained , could give him a "edge" as in him doing something unpredictable....unlike the case in which you are up against someone who you know has experience and training...as you could , if familiar with their training , predict their next move.

Notice the words : "if" "could" , "may" , "predict" and "unpredictable"...
This is where the word "luck" comes into play....so again , never underestimate your enemy.

Last Edited:
You can, but the question is *should* you.
Most cases it is no. Sometimes even if you need to draw because your life is in danger the answer is not to shoot.
Like if they back off once they see you are ready to defend yourself and you are serious about it.(had it happen once a few years ago and think about it fairly often, the Lord protected me that night)

In regards to folks who wish to do you harm...but have little to no training...

I have seen more than few well trained , well equipped US soldiers get wounded or die , from being shot , by those who were less well equipped or trained.

Never underestimate your opponent or whatever passes for luck , when one has to shoot.
Andy

*Edit to add :
In fact ....given that your opponent may be untrained , could give him a "edge" as in him doing something unpredictable....unlike the case in which you are up against someone who you know has experience and training...as you could , if familiar with their training , predict their next move.

Notice the words : "if" "could" , "may" , "predict" and "unpredictable"...
This is where the word "luck" comes into play....so again , never underestimate your enemy.
I believe our country was founded by a group of citizens, militias, etc. fighting the greatest military force at the time. Do not underestimate the power of "fighting for a cause" whatever it may be. Not many things more dangerous than fighting someone who has nothing to lose.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top