JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My god people. You don't have to "spine shoot" an elk with a. 270...... and I'm not even going to address"how long would it take to die with a little. 270". Seriously? Ignorance is blissfor the. 338 winmag salesman.

I killed a nice cow with a .270 win when I was 13 yrs old. Shot her in the lungs and she dropped after thirty feet, and that was with just a Remington 130gr corlokt. A .270 in this day and age with a good bullet is enough gun for elk, with proper shot placement. That being said if i was the OP I would have bought a .308. The recoil is damn near the same and you have a short action and the option of a bigger bullet. BTW I now rifle hunt elk with a 7mm rem mag, but my wife has success with her .270 win.

No problem, I have shot six rockys with 270 130 grain and only had to shoot one twice. it was running and I hit her in her front shoulder as her leg was all the way back shattered the leg, blew it into many differnt parts and she was in very bad shape. she would have died in time my guess would have need less then ten minutes. i didnt have the balls to watch her suffer that long. So I shot her in the head and ended the suffering. have fun, and good luck.

A 308 to the head would end all this...but as long as people are only good enough to hit a target the size of a front door, and then watch the animal suffer and die a half hour...the whole conversation is really moot...you might as well just shoot it with anything, as just shooting something is what most really want to do...

I can say this with some certainty of all the hunters dropping in to sight in rifles, they never shoot, asking me to get them on at 25 yards...

So to heck with ethical, what's the right caliber or not....it's moot...

A 308 to the head would end all this...but as long as people are only good enough to hit a target the size of a front door, and then watch the animal suffer and die a half hour...the whole conversation is really moot...you might as well just shoot it with anything, as just shooting something is what most really want to do...

I can say this with some certainty of all the hunters dropping in to sight in rifles, they never shoot, asking me to get them on at 25 yards...

Well golly, that's just swell. Any more nuggets of wisdom?

Jeepers Mister, you sure are a ray of sunshine.:s0155:

I didn't make this world.....you wanna shoot animals for 'sport'...let's not sugar coat what 'ethical' is or isn't.

Did ever occur to you that many people feed thier families with the game they take through out the year. Or is it too hard to hear us from way up there on your tower. I'm guessing you live off tofu and such, and find it fullfilling, but some of us don't. And prefer to live in world where they have the option to go out in nature and harvest pure organic meat that hasn't been pumped full of hormones and toxins.

Did ever occur to you that many people feed thier families with the game they take through out the year. Or is it too hard to hear us from way up there on your tower. I'm guessing you live off tofu and such, and find it fullfilling, but some of us don't. And prefer to live in world where they have the option to go out in nature and harvest pure organic meat that hasn't been pumped full of hormones and toxins.

As a tofu eatin' non-hunting type I gotta say I agree with you here.

John do you just have a moral objection to hunting?
If so that's ok just out with it.
And don't expect to change any minds here.
Maybe start a thread about the morality of hunting. Good luck with that.

If one hunter came up to me and said..

I hunt because it's fun to take down animals, I don't mind how much it suffers, what ever it takes to bring it down...I like the meat, I like being outside...it's legal, and I can get away with screwing over an animal...

At least he's being honest..

A friend who is an avid hunter and owner of an archery website stated...'its stupid to talk of killing animals with a bow in any ethical terms...your puncturing an animal with 4 razor blades attached to a stick"

So yeah I had a steak the other night, and I realized some pour animal got screwed over for it....it doesn't sit well with me...but at least I can live with the concept that it's sustenance, that's the way it's been for some time....I just don't do it for fun and games....

I hunt because it's fun to take down animals, I don't mind how much it suffers, what ever it takes to bring it down...I like the meat, I like being outside...it's legal, and I can get away with screwing over an animal...

A friend who is an avid hunter and owner of an archery website stated...'its stupid to talk of killing animals with a bow in any ethical terms...your puncturing an animal with 4 razor blades attached to a stick"

So yeah I had a steak the other night, and I realized some pour animal got screwed over for it....it doesn't sit well with me...but at least I can live with the concept that it's sustenance, that's the way it's been for some time....I just don't do it for fun and games....

Got your bong working again, eh?

No, you don't do it at all. You like many other in this world relay on the bloody hands of others to do your dirty work. And then judge people who are willing to go out and actually do the act of killing for substance. Maybe if you went out and experienced the act of harvesting an animal. Feeling the heat of the blood as you pull the entrails out, smelling the sent of the animal, taking in all these things that make the primal act of hunting concrete and real, and not just some Happy Meal delivered to your car window with a cute little pink bow. Maybe then you'd actually have some respect for animals, and not just live off the beast that has been beaten so far into submission by man, it is already dead inside. So before you judge, think what to yourself what is worse, an animal that has been taken as part of the food chain, or the flesh of another unit butchered in the "Factory"?

You want a medal for heroism for shooting a deer at 75 yards?
No not at all. Far from it.

But I do expect a nice piece of liver or heart that night. And a winter filled with lots of yummy backstrap steaks, lean, delicious burger and a cool chunk of buckskin for everything from knee patches for Levis and a work apron, to moccasins.
My dogs have always expected tasty chew toys made from various other bony parts too.

If you're really polite you might get to see the coat/hat racks made out of antlers and hooves too.

That is just some of what "I want" from my deer, regardless of the range I shoot it at.
I hope you enjoyed your hormone free, naturally lean, healthy steak, but trust me, that's just the "tip of the iceberg" when discussing the advantages of harvesting a game animal.
Oh wait, you do mean you ate a steak from a game animal right? Or did you eat some of that hormoned/vaccinated/artificially fattened beef that mills around the feed lot for 90 days before it's slaughtered unceremoniously on a bloody, cold, concrete floor by an illegal alien in a food factory?

No not at all. Far from it.

But I do expect a nice piece of liver or heart that night. And a winter filled with lots of yummy backstrap steaks, lean, delicious burger and a cool chunk of buckskin for everything from knee patches for Levis and a work apron, to moccasins.
My dogs have always expected tasty chew toys made from various other bony parts too.

If you're really polite you might get to see the coat/hat racks made out of antlers and hooves too.

That is just some of what "I want" from my deer, regardless of the range I shoot it at.
I hope you enjoyed your hormone free, naturally lean, healthy steak, but trust me, that's just the "tip of the iceberg" when discussing the advantages of harvesting a game animal.
Oh wait, you do mean you ate a steak from a game animal right? Or did you eat some of that hormoned/vaccinated/artificially fattened beef that mills around the feed lot for 90 days before it's slaughtered unceremoniously on a bloody, cold, concrete floor by an illegal alien in a food factory?

I get it....so when a guy that makes 50k a year, tells me he's going to hunt, driving his SUV 8 hours, spending $80 on high caliber ammo to sight in, to bring home $40 worth of meat to 'feed his family'...I am supposed to buy that?

Or when a guy says, I want hormone free, naturally lean deer meat, that hasn't been inspected, might be diseased, processed in the field, maybe with Ecoli...I am supposed to believe that this guy, who hasn't been to the gym in 30 years, he's 30lbs overweight, eats Fritos and Cheetohs for breakfast......is shooting deer for the 'health benefits....

Again, if you want to shoot a deer, fine...just come clean as to why your doing it....

I think we all have had enough of lies, cover ups, justifications and excuses...

$40 dollars worth of meat? What kind of animals do you hunt? Last time I checked, meat prices were through the roof, and getting even 40 lbs of usable meat from a game animal is worth about 3 dollars a pound! At least. You can't put any type of price on the innards either. "Game" animals (read: deer and elk) have, for the most part, the tastiest innards of any animal in the food chain. Makes your cow steak pale in comparison.

I think we all have had enough of lies, cover ups, justifications and excuses...
I agree. I think all you animal rights activists, vegan HSUS and PETA types should come clean and stop hanging out in gun and hunting forums taking pot-shots at members.
You obviously know so little about the sport you have to make things up, like the drivel you posted above.

In my case, and in the case of everyone I have personally hunted with, you are wrong on ALL counts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top