JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get it....so when a guy that makes 50k a year, tells me he's going to hunt, driving his SUV 8 hours, spending $80 on high caliber ammo to sight in, to bring home $40 worth of meat to 'feed his family'...I am supposed to buy that?

Or when a guy says, I want hormone free, naturally lean deer meat, that hasn't been inspected, might be diseased, processed in the field, maybe with Ecoli...I am supposed to believe that this guy, who hasn't been to the gym in 30 years, he's 30lbs overweight, eats Fritos and Cheetohs for breakfast......is shooting deer for the 'health benefits....

Again, if you want to shoot a deer, fine...just come clean as to why your doing it....

I think we all have had enough of lies, cover ups, justifications and excuses...

John Davis you are in the hunting forum section, please leave any anti hunting rhetoric elsewhere this is not the place to protest hunting. The beauty of being an American is we need no justification or excuse to exercise our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I have hunted elk with my .270 for about 20 years now. I have been very lucky to have got one pretty much every year except the last two. I don't remember ever having one get more than 20-30 yards from where they were shot and they were all dead when I got to them.

.270 is more than enough if you are a decent shot.

I'm sorry...here let me come into line..

I hunt because the deer and elk are over running the school yards and need to be culled.
I eat deer/elk exclusively because store bought meat is horrible.
I hunt because my family is starving to death and I need to feed them..
I shoot deer/elk with 22 caliber rounds because it's 'enough'

Happy?

I am not anti-hunting...I am anti self delusion.

Surprised not one forum member understands this concept....

I hunt because the deer and elk are over running the school yards and need to be culled.

Happy?

No I'm not happy because this is not a "justification for hunting" thread other than that you're trying to make it one, so the delusion seems to be what you think this thread is about.

This thread is about hunting with a .270. Adults don't need yours or anyone else approval to do what they wish to do. I think you are stuck in a place that only you seem to be concerned about.

How about an impromptu to poll, if you care to justify your reasons for hunting to John Davis please state them so his concerns are relevant.

No I'm not happy because this is not a "justification for hunting" thread other than that you're trying to make it one, so the delusion seems to be what you think this thread is about.

This thread is about hunting with a .270. Adults don't need yours or anyone else approval to do what they wish to do. I think you are stuck in a place that only you seem to be concerned about.

How about an impromptu to poll, if you care to justify your reasons for hunting to John Davis please state them so his concerns are relevant.

:s0114:Haha!:s0112:

Could not have said it better myself Trlsmn.:s0155:

If you have a problem with hunting there "John Davis" then start a thread in the hunting forum where you can debate the issue. What you are doing is called "TROLLING" and you will be eaten alive on this site for it. Everyone now understands and respects your point of view on hunting, now back off and quit trying to derail the thread.

BTW: In my opinion the .270 is an excellent round for elk. I don't personally use one for elk myself, but I have friends and family that do and they have killed many elk with them. Here is a site that sheds a little light on the subject, take it for what it's worth I guess:

Many hunters and guides consider the .270 too light to be used as an Elk caliber. Maybe, maybe not, but the crudentials of the .270 in the field cannot be denied. The .270 with it's oversized case holds enough powder to push a 150-grain bullet in the 3,000 fps range, and the retained energy at 400 yards is nearly 1,200 ft/lbs, which will certainly ruin any Elks day with a well placed shot.
But because the heaviest bullet offered is the 150-grain, many hunters prefer a caliber that offers a heavier bullet and more retained energy.
You will have to consider the type of terrain you will be hunting in also and the U.S. Forest Service would be a good place to start for this infomation, or the Game and Fish department for the state you will be hunting in.
Consider the fact that in certain situations the Elk will not always be standing broadside, and the bullet will have to go through a great deal of mass and bone to hit the vitals. But there is no doubt about it , the .270 has proved itself to be an adequite caliber for Elk hunting.

The .270 Winchester As An Elk Rifle

The caliber will do the job, and for someone who is disabled it is a very good option for lighter recoil. I would also suggest throwing a limb saver recoil pad on it, and it'll kill deer and elk as efficiently as you can shoot it.

Shot placement especially with standard bullets. With premium bullets you can penetrate a shoulder bone or go deep on a quartering shot if you need to. The good bullets of today will take the worry out of those iffy shots. If you can wait for broadside it is always a kill behind the shoulder...

may not hunt if you cant figure out what kind of gun will kill and elk.... maybe try a long bow, I hunt with a .270 , they're the flattest shooting rifle.

I know a guy that shoots and kills elk with a 357 magnum rifle.A .270 is plenty of gun for elk and moose sized game.I wouldn't be afraid to go after big bears with a .270 using premium bullets and well placed shots.

A .270 is plenty of gun for elk and moose sized game.I wouldn't be afraid to go after big bears with a .270 using premium bullets and well placed shots.

+1 .270 Federal Premium Vital-Shok 140-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

The 7.57 Mauser is no slouch either and I love my 6.5x55 Swede. both of these are easy on recoil and muzzle blast. The 6.5x55 has most likely killed more moose than any other round out there.

just say'n - ain't gonna argue on it.

yes shot placement is every thing , i shot a cow this fall , a rocky-elk sage brush country and do like them , but elk have a way of being hit well and not showing any signs of being hit , me and the wife hunt together and have been lucky over the yrs, 20 yrs of elk hunting has givin us ten elk, bulls-cows smallest cal was 6mm rem, but they just dont have enough penetration so had her use a 270. like me , works .. rosy elk west side are 30% biger then east side anyone whom has shot one knows this . ...

I love my 6.5x55 Swede. both of these are easy on recoil and muzzle blast. The 6.5x55 has most likely killed more moose than any other round out there.
That's a well liked cartridge in the Lapland.
The 243 Win. is a popular cartridge for hunting Polar bear, as for the OP's question the 270 Win. is adequate for elk.

Originally Posted by John Davis
I get it....so when a guy that makes 50k a year, tells me he's going to hunt, driving his SUV 8 hours, spending $80 on high caliber ammo to sight in, to bring home $40 worth of meat to 'feed his family'...I am supposed to buy that?

Or when a guy says, I want hormone free, naturally lean deer meat, that hasn't been inspected, might be diseased, processed in the field, maybe with Ecoli...I am supposed to believe that this guy, who hasn't been to the gym in 30 years, he's 30lbs overweight, eats Fritos and Cheetohs for breakfast......is shooting deer for the 'health benefits....

Again, if you want to shoot a deer, fine...just come clean as to why your doing it....

I think we all have had enough of lies, cover ups, justifications and excuses...

Mr. Davis,, last year our family of five harvested four coastal elk, that's close to one ton of meat,, and we eat it all. Trust me on this, I have far more respect for those animals than I do for you. If you feel that you need to eat tofu or cottage cheese and salad,, so be it. But when you bring this type of rhetoric to the table, with disspariging remarks at those that don't depend upon the teat of others to provide their food,, you show your true self. The question I would pose to you is this,, Why would a person such as yourself, that obviously Cherish's the ability to use the first amendment of my United States of America to make such statements,, make any attempt (no matter how thinly veiled) to ridicule and condemn someone that is exercising their God given right to the pursuit of happiness?

Happy?

hmmm your trying to be funny huh .:s0129:

In his book Big Game Animals of North America Jack O'Conner, whom I think all would agree was kinda some sort of expert... said the .270 was the best all round rifle for thin skinned game. (Thin skinned meaning no Rhinos or Elephants, Cape Buffalo etc.) I have lived and hunted in Oregon all my life..and swatted mosquitoes in Alaska as well. With a 150gr partitioned bullet I have never failed to drop an elk. As with any game shot, placement and knowing when and when not to shoot is the key. And to John Davis: Bite me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top