JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have seen 270 130 gr bounce off elk hinde quarter ,oh I forgot about the shot placement , but when the wind is blowing 20 knots/hr from west to east and you are 300 yards away south of your target shooting 150gr, what do aim to have your neck shot? and for those that all they need is a stick, try the stick when the bulls are not in rot.

There are some shots that ethical hunters are going to pass up. If you're not confident that you can make a shot the only ethical choices are to try and get closer or walk away.

And if your 270 loads are bouncing off elk, maybe reloading isn't for you.

It's just like defense guns.It's all shot placement.
If you can't hit a barn with your 340wby mag,it ain't no good to you is it?
But if you can make a head shot at 300 yds with a 270,you take meat home.

A heavier caliber,that you can really shoot, is great.
Otherwise it won't do much good anyway.
Heck,some guys take home monsters by throwing sticks at them.
My bow took down a deer with probably only 250fps.But I cut all the arteries in front of her heart.

Placement is the key

+1

My first centerfire rifle was a 300WM. Before I bought it I had never fired a centerfire rifle (not counting 223). I wanted one rifle for anything in North America, and the 300 seemed like a good choice.

My initial groups with that rifle were 8-10". Spending two days a week at the range, after three months I was finally getting the kind of groups that I wanted, and I practiced shooting at ranges out to 200 yards (that's all the local range had at the time). And I have used that rife to take elk at around 300 yards in low 40's, heavy rain, and heavy wind.

Personally, I limit myself to 300 yards because that's as far as I've practiced, and at that range there isn't going to be a huge difference in drop between the 270, 30-06, or 300WM. Knowing what I know now I would probably go with a 270 or an '06, but I still use the 300 because it's what I'm comfortable with and it's what I'm confident in.

Using a good bullet, the 270 will be just fine for elk. The Finns have been using the 6.5 Swede on moose for years. It works fine as long as placement is good.

You make shot placement sound and look easy, but in the real world %85 of time we dont have the time to do it so to shoot a rocky mt elk beyond 250yd i know we need a much bigger round so if in case if you shoot the poor animal in the hind quarter it knoks him down and you can retrive your trophy

Then the ethical thing to do is PASS on the shot.
Shot placement is easy if you are taking your time to make sure you get the right shot.
If you get in a hurry,you probably aren't going to hit the animal anyway.Or it will wonder till the next guy sees it at knocks it down.

If you are brush hunting and it's a close shot,yeah you get in a hurry sometimes.
But at 250+ range,don't you think you should slow down and take only the good shots,not the hurried ones?

+1

My first centerfire rifle was a 300WM. Before I bought it I had never fired a centerfire rifle (not counting 223). I wanted one rifle for anything in North America, and the 300 seemed like a good choice.

My initial groups with that rifle were 8-10". Spending two days a week at the range, after three months I was finally getting the kind of groups that I wanted, and I practiced shooting at ranges out to 200 yards (that's all the local range had at the time). And I have used that rife to take elk at around 300 yards in low 40's, heavy rain, and heavy wind.

Personally, I limit myself to 300 yards because that's as far as I've practiced, and at that range there isn't going to be a huge difference in drop between the 270, 30-06, or 300WM. Knowing what I know now I would probably go with a 270 or an '06, but I still use the 300 because it's what I'm comfortable with and it's what I'm confident in.

Using a good bullet, the 270 will be just fine for elk. The Finns have been using the 6.5 Swede on moose for years. It works fine as long as placement is good.

Guy I worked with had hunted since he was a kid,his dad being a guide and all.
He went back and forth bow hunting and rifle till he got older and didn't want to walk as far.
He always had the 300wm.He didn't like to chase the deer or elk.The 300 will travel as fast,or faster? than the 270 but should slow it down a lot more.
Really,if you don't mind the recoil,the 300 is probably one of the best.
Seems pretty popular now a days too

Hey Bijan, you have to be careful on this forum. Alot of the 'tards here would track you down, punch your wife in the mouth, screw your puppy and then take a dump in your flowerbeds for disagreeing that the .270 is THE best hunting round in the world, bar none!! Trust me, I've been down this road already, I'm just glad I live way out of the way and don't have a dog!

Hey Bijan, you have to be careful on this forum. Alot of the 'tards here would track you down, punch your wife in the mouth, screw your puppy and then take a dump in your flowerbeds for disagreeing that the .270 is THE best hunting round in the world, bar none!! Trust me, I've been down this road already, I'm just glad I live way out of the way and don't have a dog!

No dog huh? I love my. .270. Got any flower beds?

Do you remember Jack O'Connor--the famous gun writer. He took all sorts of big game with his beloved .270. The .270 will knock down Elk! Choose the correct bullet and the 270 will do it's job if you can do your's.

Yepper, just like many have said already, it's all about shot placement. My Grampa hunted exclusively with a .243 up until the year that he died. He was a big fan of .270 also, but since Gramma had bought him his .243 thats what he used. He took several animals to include Elk and Bear with it. The big magnums are all great and stuff, but if you hit an animal in the *** its just gonna have a bigger hole in its ***. Put it in the bread basket and your gonna have elk steaks every time.

'Tards huh?...
Now who do you s'pose is the bigger "'tard?"
The guy that says he has seen a 130gr .270 bullet "bounce off" the butt of an elk, or the people that say the .270 will kill elk no problem using ethical hunting practices and proper shot placement?

I don't believe anyone here stated the .270 is "the best hunting round in the world." But I and many others have stated that it won't be the limiting factor using proper bullets and shooting practices. The hunter/shooter will.
Example: bijan and his armor plated elk butt. Are you in that camp too?

The OP came in here looking for a gun/caliber that won't re-damage his shoulder since his surgery, and y'all insist on offering up calibers that he has already stated he can't shoot without "tearing the bubblegum" out of his shoulder.
He didn't ask what was the best/optimum caliber for elk.
He asked if he could use a .270,... You apparently think a .270 won't kill elk. I have bad news for you. It will indeed, you just have to avoid shooting them from behind when they are wearing their ballistic resistant diapers. :s0114:

Go back and read the original post, apply your best reading and comprehension skills, and grow up before you come in here and call those of us that are trying to answer honestly a bunch of "tards."

You got the wife and the dog mixed up; anyways most of us stopped doing that a few years ago when the democrats came into power (we all started to suffer from ED & constipation).
But just so you won't feel slighted we'll all pitch in and buy Bijan a Grammar and Spell Check program for his P.C.

I have seen 270 130 gr bounce off elk hinde quarter ,oh I forgot about the shot placement , but when the wind is blowing 20 knots/hr from west to east and you are 300 yards away south of your target shooting 150gr, what do aim to have your neck shot? and for those that all they need is a stick, try the stick when the bulls are not in rot.

When you see a thread title about the apropriateness of a caliber for hunting certain game, and it has 3 pages; you know its gone be a entertaining read.

To the original poster, like any mid sized cartridge, the 270 will work fine for elk. Use a well contructed bullet, and know the range limitations of the cartridge. Good Luck!

OK This thread has been fun,but I have a question.Since the .270 is a necked down 30-06 and you are shooting the same grain bullet, why would a .270 kick more than a 30-06?And oh yeah I dont have a flower bed,but I do have an old dog that needs some loven--come on by.

OK This thread has been fun,but I have a question.Since the .270 is a necked down 30-06 and you are shooting the same grain bullet, why would a .270 kick more than a 30-06?And oh yeah I dont have a flower bed,but I do have an old dog that needs some loven--come on by.

Huh?

The heaviest .270 bullet I can find is 180gr RN - IF you reload.

The heaviest 30-06 bullet I can find is 220gr RN - again, IF you reload.

How are these the same?

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

If you have decided to use the .270 on an ELK; then please give strong consideration to also using the Trophy Bonded Tip bullet and place your shot through the spine near the base of the neck.
Use realistic targets that show the location of the spine and fire-in your set-up with as many rounds as it takes to become deadly one-shot-stop accurate.
Use excellent optics.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads