JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd check out the Gold V Guns thread that is around here somewhere, it covers the initial issue of what has worth in a collapse.....
I'd rather have a spoon to help me eat some soup than a gold chunk that is a nice rock to throw at someone.

Sterling silver goes up in value with normal silver, at least to it's value at 92% of weight should you melt it down. Don't count on additional value for the silver being a fork or a spoon.

I'd think the most valuable things post collapse will be guns, ammo, then food.

After many years (and all the ammo consumed), swords would be in vogue again.

Sterling silver goes up in value with normal silver, at least to it's value at 92% of weight should you melt it down. Don't count on additional value for the silver being a fork or a spoon.

I wasn't thinking it would be worth more in it's spoon form, but as we were having Thanksgiving dinner, I looked at our flatware and thought, "This might be currency someday"

I'd think the most valuable things post collapse will be guns, ammo, then food.

Yep, what he said, it's the same with the pre-64 silver coins.

...along with blackpowder muzzleloaders.

The primary impediment to early firearms (I mean arquebus-era blackpowder) was knowledge, not high-tech manufacturing facilities. I think even if I was starting from absolute scratch, I could make a blackpowder weapon. If I was a trained blacksmith, it would be much easier (the metallurgy and forging is more difficult than mixing a batch of gunpowder).

The chemistry is so rudimentary that the crude formula for blackpowder (which is just a saltpeter/charcoal/sulphur ratio) is easy to rediscover if you forget the details. You won't get modern blackpowder performance, but it would work.

Making an arquebus, matchlock, etc. is not complicated. All of the improvements to the basic design revolve around keep it ready for use.

Building cannons is conceptually even easier.

Ideally, I was wondering if grabbing a couple handfuls of Sterling flatware would be worthwhile as I was running out of my home that was burning to the ground.

I always try to plan as if my "bug-in" plans get ruined.

Also, I was wondering if it would be a trade-able commodity.

Obviously not as good as silver coins or food, but I don't have to "prep" to possess it.

As I eat dinner, I look at the flatware and wonder...........Usefull, or garbage.........

Depends I would think it would be garbage if we had some sort of global disaster, things would take some time to be stable enought for barter and some sort of monitary system to be restablished. For the first bit I would think food would be worth more.

Second if we are talking a local disaster then cash should still be good.

Either way I see it as a lose lose.... The only way it would pay off is a dollar collapse where there is another "money" you could change it into.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top