JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can some tell me if ANY CA LE agencies have a requirement for less than a 46" waist ? and add all the 'tacticool' junk they strap on make some of them look like they are about to fall forward.

Nice house. So why did CAL DOJ come in with so many cops?Just to check a serial number and leave? Why was the homeowner being so obstinate, aside from being surprised? Inquiring minds want to know.

Why was the homeowner being so obstinate
I didn't interpret his position as being 'obstinate' at all.

He was being moderately respectful, and somewhat cautious but hardly 'obstinate'.

Heck from all the 'I won't comply' responses I read online I'd like to see a vid of how some of THOSE people would deal with a similar situation.

I didn't interpret his position as being 'obstinate' at all.

He was being moderately respectful, and somewhat cautious but hardly 'obstinate'.

Heck from all the 'I won't comply' responses I read online I'd like to see a vid of how some of THOSE people would deal with a similar situation.
He wasn't giving the cops a hard time and the cops didn't seem to be all that thrilled to be there either, and they seemed to be polite. All I'm saying is that it looked like he was expecting them and all he had to do was show him the lower and they would have left since all they did was look at it and leave anyway. All we have is a video without the whole story.

Nice house. So why did CAL DOJ come in with so many cops?Just to check a serial number and leave? Why was the homeowner being so obstinate, aside from being surprised? Inquiring minds want to know.
Obstinate? No. Any decent lawyer will tell you to say NOTHING to the police in this kind of a situation. Nothing you can say can possibly help you and EVERYTHING you say can be used to hurt you.

All we have is a video without the whole story.
What we have is a vid of a serious waste of resources and manpower for what was a nonviolent response to a search for an incomplete firearm.

This could have been handled much more 'professionally' by the departement with maybe a call to the homeowner, an explanation of what was needed and a follow up by maybe a 'representative' of the department who was possibly more skilled in 'public relations' than a bunch of fat bellied 'groseros' whose presence in a NON-VIOLENT response only serves to make the matter worse.

I had a situation several years ago with a local 'representative' of my county Sheriff's Department and requested a meeting with my county Sheriff over it or I would be taking it to State level and possibly higher.

Fortunately it was resolved locally but I was not impressed with the Sheriff's lack of intellect and personability - and I told him so at the time.

Last Edited:
From our friends over at Calguns. They're saying the same thing, no context. I wasn't taking any sides based on what was provided, a video dumped in our lap. Talk amongst yourselves, enjoy your own conclusions. This thread is heading towards the crapper fast.

He wasn't giving the cops a hard time and the cops didn't seem to be all that thrilled to be there either, and they seemed to be polite. All I'm saying is that it looked like he was expecting them and all he had to do was show him the lower and they would have left since all they did was look at it and leave anyway. All we have is a video without the whole story.
100%. Did his attorney tell him to say nothing? What triggered the DOJ to send for the check?

What triggered the DOJ to send for the check?
From the thread on CalGuns about it:

Presumably the probable cause came in a photo that the owner submitted to DOJ as part of the required registration process. They saw something they didn't like or didn't understand or perhaps there was a legit issue that was rendered moot when the upper was separated from the lower. We don't have a lot to go on right now unfortunately...

In California there is a Byzantine process to legally build an 80% into a firearm. Almost impossible for pistols, but doable for rifle receivers. Before finishing it the person must apply for a serial number and then complete it within a deadline, again submitting photos of the finished receiver with the serial number visible. Then the whole host of assembly restrictions apply once the receiver is finished. God only knows why people don't simply buy a finished one in that state.

New residents are also required to register all guns when they move to California. He could have had an AR pistol lower he brought into California and registered. The California DoJ is especially focused on those and there are other videos of California DoJ raids seizing those. There are very few paths to obtain a semi auto AR pistol there; and if so it must be maglocked with a ten round magazine. There isn't clear legal guidance there on some of the nuances, and I wouldn't doubt the DoJ is hoping to find someone with one in a specific configuration for a test case. Of course I don't know what exactly that guy tried to register.

In California there is a Byzantine process to legally build an 80% into a firearm. Almost impossible for pistols, but doable for rifle receivers. Before finishing it the person must apply for a serial number and then complete it within a deadline, again submitting photos of the finished receiver with the serial number visible. Then the whole host of assembly restrictions apply once the receiver is finished. God only knows why people don't simply buy a finished one in that state.

New residents are also required to register all guns when they move to California. He could have had an AR pistol lower he brought into California and registered. The California DoJ is especially focused on those and there are other videos of California DoJ raids seizing those. There are very few paths to obtain a semi auto AR pistol there; and if so it must be maglocked with a ten round magazine. There isn't clear legal guidance there on some of the nuances, and I wouldn't doubt the DoJ is hoping to find someone with one in a specific configuration for a test case. Of course I don't know what exactly that guy tried to register.
CA is a very sad non constitutional state. They should secede from the country, the other states will accept the patriots. Thank you for the info!!!

CA is a very sad non constitutional state. They should secede from the country, the other states will accept the patriots. Thank you for the info!!!
As a CA native I have to agree with you. It is sad. I grew up in the CA that Steinbeck wrote about. The last places like that in CA ceased to exist 30 or 40 years ago. They made "progress". Now the same thing is happening to my Oregon native wife. Everything she has known and loved about Oregon while growing up here is disappearing. Family ranches that have been in her family since 1870 are being sold off because of age, operating expenses, and environmental regulations. Time to move to Alaska. Montana and Idaho are already too far down that road.

Just to provide an example, in the old gold rush town of Columbia when I was a kid we could stop there for supplies while deer hunting. At 14 years old I could walk down the street open carrying my revolver. The little old ladies who ran the candy store there handed out free hand made samples and didn't bat an eye at hunting clothes, a knife or a pistol on your belt, or an unshaven face. The blacksmith shop was a going concern, and you could watch them make stuff. A nearby gold mine was in full operation. Some of the residents hunted bear on horseback with hounds.

Now Columbia is a state park. The little old ladies are long dead. There are no actual residents now. It's a state park selling Chinese crap out of 4 dozen gift shops. The blacksmith shop is fenced off and visitors can view the forge, anvil, and tools like in a museum. The gold mine is now a tourist attraction and you can pay to pan for colored gravel. Hunting anything by any means is barbaric and frowned upon.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top