JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

The interesting thing about the property, beyond the fact that is a bunker, is that there are multiple bunkers.

Depending on the condition and number of the bunkers, a person might be able to have more than one residence (as backup and/or for other family/freinds) with some for storage - e.g., root cellar, etc.

It seems somewhat secure against fire/wind/etc. - properly setup (filtered air, water/well, seals around doors, etc.) would be resistant against NBC warfare too.

I'm sure it'd be a good fit for some, but not me.

I need windows.

You can have windows at the open end of the bunker and have solar tubes thru the roof.

A person could also put a solarium/green house on the front. That is probably what I would do - what I intend to do with my next house. A solarium, or something like it, would also increase the living space, and if a person were claustrophobic (I am to a degree, but not if I have enough space and there is a large enough exit) then they could spend most of their time living out of the enclosed bunker. The bunker itself could serve as storage/bathroom/etc.

I.E., it would seem to me that there is room to build onto the front of the bunker:

12569072-3x2-xlarge.jpg

In most of the USA, zoning requires a certain number of windows/doors in each bedroom for fire safety - a secondary means of escape in case of fire.

"Sitting in a bunker, here behind my wall ...." (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Actually that is pretty neat-o. I've seen something similar in the States with an abandoned missile silo.

Looks like a Quonset hut, covered with concrete and dirt.

Back in 1960, my dad and some other missionaries got several for free from a military base in Japan. I helped reassemble them, on top of creosote-soaked timber posts. All the adults were WWII veterans and I remember being impressed they put them up in near silence. Later in life I understood.

Back in 1960, my dad and some other missionaries got several for free from a military base in Japan. I helped reassemble them, on top of creosote-soaked timber posts. All the adults were WWII veterans and I remember being impressed they put them up in near silence. Later in life I understood.
People that have been in combat are special.

Probably. Not a large hut though as it is only about 10' wide. Properly done, one could encase a hut in concrete - the metal would just serve as a form for the concrete.

If a person did this from scratch, or even if they had an abandoned bunker, they would want to at least insulate the interior, and preferably the exterior - if possible.

I would love to live in something like that.

Hate these flimsy homes we live in now adays.

And just think, you could dig out a hole in the back and turn it into a shooting range. No worrying about the bullets flying towards a neighbor's house.

I would love to live in something like that.

Hate these flimsy homes we live in now adays.

And just think, you could dig out a hole in the back and turn it into a shooting range. No worrying about the bullets flying towards a neighbor's house.

The shooting range could also serve as an emergency escape exit and an "earth tube". The earth tube could also serve as extra air filtration and a place to house plants that serve as CO2 scrubbers (you would need to supply them with daylight spectrum lighting).

Ft. Columbia (at the mouth of the Columbia River) is the goto place for Washington's governor and staff in the event of a nuclear exchange. I have toured the underground facilities as a guest of my grandfather who happened to be a soldier there from 1903 to 1906. He was with the 33rd Coast Artillery. A local historical group invited him to come and take a look at the restored facilities as their guest of honor. He passed in 1969.

Ft. Columbia (at the mouth of the Columbia River) is the goto place for Washington's governor and staff in the event of a nuclear exchange. I have toured the underground facilities as a guest of my grandfather who happened to be a soldier there from 1903 to 1906. He was with the 33rd Coast Artillery. A local historical group invited him to come and take a look at the restored facilities as their guest of honor. He passed in 1969.
Maybe Ted Wheeler can rent a room...

No extreme weather or much chance of a nuclear strike in my area, so never really saw the need for a bunker.

Of course, Yellowstone going is a concern. But I often consider going quickly to be a blessing rather than surviving and watching my friends and family suffer horribly.

No extreme weather or much chance of a nuclear strike in my area, so never really saw the need for a bunker.

Of course, Yellowstone going is a concern. But I often consider going quickly to be a blessing rather than surviving and watching my friends and family suffer horribly.
If Yellowstone popped, you might find yourself in Portland!

Foreign nukes are sometimes notoriously inaccurate. Plus, I am given to understand the the Ruskies have not bothered to change the targeting on at least some of their nukes, and that they point at targets that have long since been deactivated.

So pretty much, if you are anywhere in the PNW (including from Seattle to eastern Montana) or Alaska, or some areas where nukes or military bases used to be in the USA at any time during the cold war, you could find nukes dropping on your head, or at least around you, should we find ourselves in a MADD situation.

You know what they say; close enough for horseshoes, grenades, artillery and thermonuclear devices.

Then, if you are to the east of a hit, there is the fallout.

Fallout_Map_3-23-1963-Saturday-Evening-Post.jpg

Foreign nukes are sometimes notoriously inaccurate. Plus, I am given to understand the the Ruskies have not bothered to change the targeting on at least some of their nukes, and that they point at targets that have long since been deactivated.

So pretty much, if you are anywhere in the PNW (including from Seattle to eastern Montana) or Alaska, or some areas where nukes or military bases used to be in the USA at any time during the cold war, you could find nukes dropping on your head, or at least around you, should we find ourselves in a MADD situation.

You know what they say; close enough for horseshoes, grenades, artillery and thermonuclear devices.

Then, if you are to the east of a hit, there is the fallout.

View attachment 745166

Surprised there's no predicted military targets in Oregon. I'd figure Kingsley field in Klamath would have been, simply due to the fighter wing??

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top