JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All in good humor. All about percentages/statistics. The chance of me ever being in a running automobile/truck gun battle are about as insignificant as me being the victim of an active shooter. Not even really worth taking too seriously on any level. Of course, the media makes such things that are a .000001% chance in your lifetime something you should dwell on and fear.

Speed is life.
That armored car is a slow pig. Wouldn't take much to stop it really.Any vehicle really is only as good as its tires. Cheap spike strips stop virtually any standard tired vehicle. Any light truck with the ability to get moving would be better as long as you are ahead of the situation. If the 's' has already hit the fan then there won't be many land bound vehicles that will get you out of the city limits. IMHO.

only if it's for commercial use

Washington Law from the DMV site

"Types of vehicles that require a CDL

You must have a commercial driver license (CDL) to drive any of the following vehicles:
•All single vehicles with a manufacturer's weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.
•All trailers with a manufacturer's weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, and a combined vehicles' gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.
•All vehicles designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver). This includes private and church buses.
•All school buses, regardless of size.
•All vehicles used to transport any material that requires hazardous material placarding or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73.

Occasional drivers

Occasional drivers, such as mechanics or truck salespeople who test drive the vehicles described above on a public roadway, also need a CDL and any required endorsements."

From Oregon DMV

"Class C

​ May drive any single vehicle with a GVW and GVWR less than 26,001
pounds that is designed to carry less than 16 persons (including the driver).
May tow another vehicle with a loaded GVW and GVWR less than 10,000
pounds, provided the total combined GVW and GVWR does not exceed
26,000 pounds. May operate a moped. Firefighters operating emergency
fire vehicles are also included in this class, as are operators of recreational
vehicles being used for personal use.​
Class C Commercial
​ With the proper endorsement, may drive ​any single vehicle with a GVW and
GVWR that is not more than 26,000 pounds that is designed to carry more
than 16 persons (including the driver) or is designed to carry hazardous
materials.
"

I have held a Class C license a Class B License and make my living with my Class A license. I have driven dozens of commercial vehicles from Modifed Vans made into school buses to 96' long Hay Semi's I currently make my living driving a 105,500GVW Dump truck and PUP trailer combo for a paving company.

AND you need a Class B license (which is a Commercial License) to drive a vehicle over 26000LBs GVW.

YMMV

Washington Law from the DMV site

"Types of vehicles that require a CDL

You must have a commercial driver license (CDL) to drive any of the following vehicles:
•All single vehicles with a manufacturer's weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.
•All trailers with a manufacturer's weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, and a combined vehicles' gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.
•All vehicles designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver). This includes private and church buses.
•All school buses, regardless of size.
•All vehicles used to transport any material that requires hazardous material placarding or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73.

Occasional drivers

Occasional drivers, such as mechanics or truck salespeople who test drive the vehicles described above on a public roadway, also need a CDL and any required endorsements."

From Oregon DMV

"Class C

​ May drive any single vehicle with a GVW and GVWR less than 26,001
pounds that is designed to carry less than 16 persons (including the driver).
May tow another vehicle with a loaded GVW and GVWR less than 10,000
pounds, provided the total combined GVW and GVWR does not exceed
26,000 pounds. May operate a moped. Firefighters operating emergency
fire vehicles are also included in this class, as are operators of recreational
vehicles being used for personal use.​
Class C Commercial
​ With the proper endorsement, may drive ​any single vehicle with a GVW and
GVWR that is not more than 26,000 pounds that is designed to carry more
than 16 persons (including the driver) or is designed to carry hazardous
materials.
"

I have held a Class C license a Class B License and make my living with my Class A license. I have driven dozens of commercial vehicles from Modifed Vans made into school buses to 96' long Hay Semi's I currently make my living driving a 105,500GVW Dump truck and PUP trailer combo for a paving company.

AND you need a Class B license (which is a Commercial License) to drive a vehicle over 26000LBs GVW.

YMMV

I stand corrected kinda/maybe
http://www.chacha.com/question/how-much-does-an-armoured-truck-weigh

the armored truck would be fine, just put a cheap fake company logo on the side. floral or something so it looks like you have nothing useful. covering the gun ports with flaps would be a good idea too. the bullet proof cars would likely be a better choice, aside from the lack of extra cargo space and gun ports.

Ice Cream Truck!

The question of where you are gonna park still beckons. You need land or good friends to bug out to

Depends on the SHTF situation. In the event of a major earthquake in the Portland area that knocks out water and electricity, and if your not in an area that suffered a large amount of property damage, then it might be best to 'bug in' until the immediate hysteria wanes. A motorhome could be parked in the driveway and provide electricity to the house for a few hours each day to heat water, keep the refrigerator cool, etc. You could sustain this for several weeks without needing more fuel. Presumably there will be alot of abandoned cars that could have gas syphoned off as well. This would better than relocating to a refugee center, at least. Opsec would be important here of course, don't run electric lights at night, etc.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads