JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Craigslist (portland) has an armored truck for sale at $9500 and thought it would make a for good protection in a bug out scenario.
Then again it may be a bullet magnet! :s0043:

armored truck.jpg

Actually it would be a terrible bug out vehicle since its so heavy can't travel off a hard road and most likely has a single track rear end. A loaded Armored turck like this can weigh up to 50,000lbs Thats the Weight of a fully loaded 3 axle dump truck. Now granted with you the family and your goodies its not going to get any where near that weight. So lets just say its only 30,000lbs. I used to deliever landscape materials in a Truck that weighed 30K loaded with two axles and the thing would get stuck on a level grass lawn for lack of traction.

It also stands out too much for my taste. If you have an armored car, people will think there's something valuable inside.

Don't you need a special license to drive these on the streets? Sure nobody will care about a license if SHTF, but who wants to spend $10k on a rig you can't even practice driving?

That would be perfect for the city boy. Add a ram on the front and get you outta town. Then have a secondary bug out vehicle in the woods.

You need one of those to get out of the anarchy of the sheeple in the cities

There were a lot of bullet proof cars made in the late 80s and early 90s. Those don't really command any premium price nowadays. Maybe one of those would be a better choice. I believe once you are out on the road you are pretty much screwed anyway, especially if trying to use any interstate.

<broken link removed>

the armored truck would be fine, just put a cheap fake company logo on the side. floral or something so it looks like you have nothing useful. covering the gun ports with flaps would be a good idea too. the bullet proof cars would likely be a better choice, aside from the lack of extra cargo space and gun ports.

Don't you need a special license to drive these on the streets? Sure nobody will care about a license if SHTF, but who wants to spend $10k on a rig you can't even practice driving?

if the rig is licensed for under a GVW of 26,000lbs anyone with a Class C drivers license can drive it. If its over that a Class B commercial is required

I read an article once about people taking the Flak out of old vests and putting them in the panels and such. Plus I've seen kits you can buy for the glass. A film that you put on the glass and makes it more resilient. Most likely you won't be having many big rounds or machine guns shooting at you. So the need for heavy armor is kind of useless. As soon as a bullet hits or comes whizzing by you're prolly going to step on it anyways. Do something you can do yourself and keep it a low profile.

In most SHTF scenarios the US has seen so far, a nice older Class A or C RV to get your family away from the danger zone is much more practical, especially if you are towing another vehicle behind. It will have electricity, heat, food, water and enough fuel capacity to go 600-800 miles between fillups. If you shop around, you could get a solid unit for the same general price as this armored vehicle. Imagine trying to have your family live out of either this rig, a 4-dr sedan, an SUV or a military thin skinned vehicle for a week and you'll see what I mean.

Keith

In most SHTF scenarios the US has seen so far, a nice older Class A or C RV to get your family away from the danger zone is much more practical, especially if you are towing another vehicle behind. It will have electricity, heat, food, water and enough fuel capacity to go 600-800 miles between fillups. If you shop around, you could get a solid unit for the same general price as this armored vehicle. Imagine trying to have your family live out of either this rig, a 4-dr sedan, an SUV or a military thin skinned vehicle for a week and you'll see what I mean.

Keith

The question of where you are gonna park still beckons. You need land or good friends to bug out to

When I bought my extended cab long bed pickup in 2009 I had the spray in bedliner done up and over the bed rails, I carry a couple of level III vest in the floor of the back seat.

What i am wanting to do since I have very low miles on it is to sell it this summer, by an older in excellent shape, you know the one with real bumpers that are reinforced like they in the late 80's, have the bedliner spray done, at the same time,take all of the interior panels off (doors, trim molding etc and have the liner sprayed onto them as well and put a few layers of kevlar sheeting in before I put the panels and trim back on. At the same time put a brush guard on and a tight mesh screen headache rack behind the rear glass. Once all that is done I would be figuring how to make the windows more secure.

Yeah I do think it may come to this one day, if not I am sure I could sell it one and get my money back, someone is always willing to pay for one built like this.

See Sarah do a good job of covering the backside of the door with vests. Not so great at staying behind them. Still one of my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads