JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
+1 on environmental controls. If you're doing any kind of cutting, grinding, etc. in your gun room it will be worth your while to think through dust / particle collection. Inhaling metal shavings is a generally unpleasant experience.

Build one of these in your garage, them just frame in standard walls around it to disguise it. They sell them as a kit in many different sizes.

cage.jpg

Foound a few manufacfurers/sellers:

Having been involved in the construction of a few bank vaults, concrete and lots of steel. The door is the problem , either reinforce an existing door, or build one.

American Security safe doors are about $4500. Bulky at 800+pounds. Needs a strong wall to support.

Long term storage, humidity control is critical, especially in an unheated garage. Temp and RH stability is important, for the leather and wood. Not too dry, can lead to premature aging of the wood and leather, but the metal parts love it.

I've spent 30 years as a mechanical engineer specializing in humidity control, the biggest weapons the pacific northwest are all in "vaults" with my equipment and engineering applied. Inside the subs, outside the subs, various bunkers, as well as preserving other military and commercial assets. Temp and humidity control are critical to long term preservation.

Last Edited:
My neighbors dad built a secure and hidden room in his basement for his extensive collection of single action Colt revolvers and had amassed a small fortune in them.
It got to the point his dad was afraid to leave his house.

figured I would ask around before i went down the rabbit hole that is the internet search. I'm looking to build a smaller room in my garage that would house both reloading and guns. I want the room to comply with safe storage laws since I would like to leave things out of my safe while I'm working on them over the course of my projects. I'm really just looking for any document/ rules i can keep in mind while designing the walls.

current idea is using a commercial steel door with rebar welded to the jams and running horizontally through the studs on all sides making it very difficult to cut through. any ideas to enhance the basic idea? or rules I should be following?

thanks for the ideas in advance and anything to keep the law man happy if he were to get too curious.
I have but one comment on a room in your garage for reloading
IT'S THE PACIFIC NW - HUMIDITY
you will have to have controlled humidity below 50% for accurate powder loading
I have a massive 1200 lbs gun safe in my garage with a small humidifier for firearms, but not near efficient enough for reloading
my potato's chit and my garlic grows in my garage - one would have to have a completely controlled humidifier to reload in in your garage

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top