JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you were building a new ar15 what parts would you go with?
does the stripped lower really matter the name on it or the material its made out of for semiauto?(aluminum vs steel )
is a high end noveske or lmt barrel really worth the money over a colt or armalite or other barrel since most ar15s are set up for 50 to 300 yards?
what about rifle twist?55gr is the normal ammo i would use or do you recomend a heavier grain?
i know a good balance is important...you dont want too light of bolt for example that wont cycle right for the ammo you will be building.
you can use the most expensive parts and if you dont chose the right balance you will have an over priced build that wont shoot right so lets hear your thoughts?

I would use:
Lower: Pick one with a 'flared' magazine well.(really does help for mag changes). Daniel Defense, or the new Noveske's flared lowers are amazing, and made in Oregon. Also, if you are a lefty, there are some amazing ambi lowers out there. AFAIK they are all aluminum.
Barrel: 1/7 or 1/8 twist cold hammer forged. 1/8 barrels from Bravo company get rave reviews & don't break the bank. You can shoot just about all weight ammo from that twist as well.
Gas or Piston? I have both gas & piston uppers, and although the piston upper is heavier, I can shoot the nastiest ammo all spring & summer & not clean the gun. I cannot do that with my gas AR's. Adams arms makes an affordable piston upper/complete rifle.
Use a name brand bolt carrier group IMO.
Also, consider a 'mid length' gas system if you do go w/ a gas gun.
Finally, try out handgaurds on AR's at shops if you can. My first one had a 12" quad rail on it. Looks cool. Hated the feel of it, and I only needed a little bit of rail for a light. Went with Magpul MOE on 1 rifle, and a VTAC extreme on another.

thats a good question i forgot to ask...gas or piston?
i dont hear alot about piston guns on hear and never see sig556 for sale.is it because they suck or are they so good nobody wants to sell them?
i understand the piston is more complex to field strip.do you need tools?do they have any problems?owning both which would you say is better...gas or piston?

thats a good question i forgot to ask...gas or piston?
i dont hear alot about piston guns on hear and never see sig556 for sale.is it because they suck or are they so good nobody wants to sell them?
i understand the piston is more complex to field strip.do you need tools?do they have any problems?owning both which would you say is better...gas or piston?

I've come to the conclusion that owning a piston ar-15 is like owning a saturn convertable. If you want a piston driven rifle due to the reliability it provides then get an AK. If you want an AR because of the availability and modularity then just get a standard, gas operated AR-15.

Seriously, no need to sheel out the cash for an HK416 or Sig 556. Just get an AK and call it good if you are really set on piston a piston driven rifle.

As for AR parts, I always suggest making your own. I made my last AR-15 for just over $500. No problems. I bought the lower then when an upper assembly went on sale I bought it as well. Now I got a full Del-Ton AR-15.

There is a site that is dedicated to this rifle. You should check out the technical section of it.

What to recommend will depend entirely upon your usage. For example, if you are looking for a long-range coyote rifle, we may recommend something entirely different than if you were looking for something solely for home defense.

Once you have the rifle, you can go around and around discussing what optic to run.

So be honest with yourself about what you would like to do and then get back to us.

That all said, I am finding the 16" midlength combo with an ACOG the most versatile configuration for any usage.

YMMV. Get both. And all that...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads