JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's basically the SBC350 in aircraft engines.. the Lycoming O series, right?
Specifically, the IO-360, the most common and widely used of them all! There are currently over 270 different "Versions" or STC's for just this engine series alone, it seems they change a bolt, and it's a new version with it's own production number ( kinda like SIG or Glock), try getting specific parts, or ordering a prop by engine number! I gave up (And the IO-390 is worse), and order what I want based entirely on need and dyno numbers, thankfully, the Prop manufactures have wised up some, to the point I can tell them what power numbers I am making and what I want it to do, and they give me my options and recommendations, which is the #1 reason I swear by Hartzell Propellers, arguably the best there is, though the MT guys will pitch a fit, almost as bad as the Hamilton guys will! LOL

Good idea, but I'd rather modify a Super Stallion for single-pilot and EMP hardening, then set that up as a flying Winnebago. More cargo space, room for a vehicle in the rear...

Better yet, harden and solo-ize a C-123 Provider or a Kawasaki C-2, then set that up as a liveaboard.
Gotta go with a Surplus of this!
1628905015467.png

Ya'll got yer place out in the woods.
Food and ammo stashed.
EMP hardened vehicles.

On the day it happens, you get there then die from COVID despite having 11 vaccinations against it.

Specifically, the IO-360, the most common and widely used of them all! There are currently over 270 different "Versions" or STC's for just this engine series alone, it seems they change a bolt, and it's a new version with it's own production number ( kinda like SIG or Glock), try getting specific parts, or ordering a prop by engine number! I gave up (And the IO-390 is worse), and order what I want based entirely on need and dyno numbers, thankfully, the Prop manufactures have wised up some, to the point I can tell them what power numbers I am making and what I want it to do, and they give me my options and recommendations, which is the #1 reason I swear by Hartzell Propellers, arguably the best there is, though the MT guys will pitch a fit, almost as bad as the Hamilton guys will! LOL
My old buddy Ponts flies up in Alaska, I've heard him mention Hartzell a few times. If I recall, he is also a fan.

Hartzell are a family owned and ran business who have always been aggressive toward innovation and value, as well as taking the time and effort to personally get involved with your project and getting you what you want and need! They also have an outstanding warranty, and exchange system where you can try out different blade combinations to find what you like better, and their Customer service and service dept is first class all the way!

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but as a customer/fan with a lot invested in my 2 aircraft, they go way beyond for me each and every time, even when I purchase used from an outside source!

Well, I have a fully mechanical diesel I can run on any fuel oil so that's cool. Already EMP proof by default. People put too much thought into these things when the answer is right in front of us

Hartzell are a family owned and ran business who have always been aggressive toward innovation and value, as well as taking the time and effort to personally get involved with your project and getting you what you want and need! They also have an outstanding warranty, and exchange system where you can try out different blade combinations to find what you like better, and their Customer service and service dept is first class all the way!

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but as a customer/fan with a lot invested in my 2 aircraft, they go way beyond for me each and every time, even when I purchase used from an outside source!
Offtopic: Amigo, what's your take on the proposal to raise the limits on LSA or add a new "driver's license medical" LPA class? IIRC the idea is if LSA is a Fiero or a Miata then LPA is more like a small-family sedan.

I had a Beech Vtail Bonanza, a true 4 place with gear, 185 using only 10 GPH. I have a powered parachute, way slower but fits on a snomobile & goes as high as you want, also 3 drones for survailance. DJI has a mini 2 , 1 gram under the license & registation & goes 36mph, flies 31 min per battery & willtransmit pics about 6 miles. Very quit & small.

Offtopic: Amigo, what's your take on the proposal to raise the limits on LSA or add a new "driver's license medical" LPA class? IIRC the idea is if LSA is a Fiero or a Miata then LPA is more like a small-family sedan.
Well, as I already fall under the new LSA rules, I see it as a benefit, and frankly, it was quite over due as it is! Not that I even come close to the maximum weight permissible but it's nice knowing I have the extra capacity to take MTOW above the old limits! As far as LPA it's also long over due, but it's beyond the scope of need for me, but welcome by many who would benefit! Here's the rub, and why so many of us pushed for the changes, there are several aircraft that push the limits under the old LSA rules, hugely popular aircraft like the American Champion Scouts or Aviat Husky, both right on the limits of permissable weight, however, the Max MTOW limit screwed us, so we were left with a few choices, ether rebuild under the Experimental rules, and loose as much fat as we could, Or, get the limits raised! Thankfully, we got both now!
As it is, I also fall under the Part 31/34 rules for Experimentals, so ether rating would fit should I wish to register as such, handy if I were to ever go back to a 180, or forward into a Sherpa!
As it is now, my Back Country Super Cub falls in between the two ratings, but it dosnt really matter as an Experimental!

Last Edited:
If LPA can ever be made affordable... well, let's just say that I don't think an LSA could handle me, my field-office cases, my weekender, my gal and all HER crap, so the higher limit is the only way we could ever get off the ground even if the money were there. The ideal I'm thinking of would be something like a four-seat, trailerable version of an Ikon A5, preferably something where the "trailering" rig is small and light enough that once on-strip you could dismount it, chuck in the cargo hold and re-mount on the ground at destination.

Surly Long Haul Trucker. I have a bunch of bags and racks on mine, great bike. 3 water bottle holders, spare spokes, patch kit, lights, etc. Steel frame. I did the Seattle to Portland ride on this thing a few years ago. 206 miles in 1.5 days. In a "no cars on road scenario" I feel pretty confident that I could travel almost anywhere. I have a family, so this obviously wouldn't be the best choice, but going silent, solo, and no fuel needs has major perks sometimes.

BK6354-01.jpg

Hartzell is a bunch of rip-off artist & IMHO SCUM. Bought the Bonanza '47 1st year as they were made for off airpost landings as in '47 not many paved runways 20 ser# from the one Buddy Holly died in. Gear was Chrome Moly. came with a new Hartzell prop installed & a 2nd new in the box. I didn't know they had a 5 year AD so had to send the hubs to Hartzell at the 5 year mark & both failed. Come on a NIB hub failed & I had to cough up the dough because they can't buid a prop or they're ripping people off' Had a later model Experimental Taylor cradt float plane with a )329B2B that was a super Cub & Husky killer. Taylorcraft wer Austers in England in WW2 & they flew 3 over so a guy in TX was going to replicate the flite & had Altree Dodge make a pair of 40 gal tanks whick I put in, amfib floats. quite the plane.

Surly Long Haul Trucker. I have a bunch of bags and racks on mine, great bike. 3 water bottle holders, spare spokes, patch kit, lights, etc. Steel frame. I did the Seattle to Portland ride on this thing a few years ago. 206 miles in 1.5 days. In a "no cars on road scenario" I feel pretty confident that I could travel almost anywhere. I have a family, so this obviously wouldn't be the best choice, but going silent, solo, and no fuel needs has major perks sometimes.

View attachment 1011420
Every BOV needs at least one as a contingency. Ideally one for every individual.

After living in a van in the 80s touring the CA coast and farther south, I am convinced that any bugout vehicle that can be made to look like a commercial vehicle is a big plus. The authorities and all the Karens are much less likely to cause grief. There is a guy on YT that converts box vans to Vanlife, then puts a fake 800 number on the side with "National Radiation Testing" or something like that on the side. Not a worry for me because my 'bugout' vehicle IS a company van.

After living in a van in the 80s touring the CA coast and farther south, I am convinced that any bugout vehicle that can be made to look like a commercial vehicle is a big plus. The authorities and all the Karens are much less likely to cause grief. There is a guy on YT that converts box vans to Vanlife, then puts a fake 800 number on the side with "National Radiation Testing" or something like that on the side. Not a worry for me because my 'bugout' vehicle IS a company van.
I remember seeing the predecessors to these hotshot crew trucks being used for farms and also for rural utility work..... 55c5078a4c95f0977c6f876c13996e00.jpg thumbnail_8.jpg

That's why I went with a Dump Truck, with the bonus being a double walled rock box might provide much needed protection, though I haven't tested it yet!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top