JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I ran across this site called Earth Roamer, check out the XV-HD based on a Ford 650, it looks like it would work just fine.

<broken link removed>

Now if I just had several hundred thousand laying around not doing anything I'd be set....

FB

Having had just a 1 ton dually with a cummins,I'll tell you these won't go very far in our states. Just a little softness to the soil and my truck would sink.
Now take the weight of those things and some soft soil and you have a long time camping spot!
Plus feeding it
plus wheel base
plus width
plus height

Not sure what they would actually be good for unless a guy has a phallic problem.

I used to have a '97 ford F250 with a service body and pop up camper on the back. It has all the space and 95% of the capability of the earth roamer. You see them from time to time used for about $25K.

Not a bad deal. It can support you at home or allow you to hit the road if necessary.

So I ran across this site called Earth Roamer, check out the XV-HD based on a Ford 650, it looks like it would work just fine.

<broken link removed>

Now if I just had several hundred thousand laying around not doing anything I'd be set....

FB

1948 Willys Jeep. They are tiny they can pull a railroad car or plow a field. They can be fixed with duct tape and bailing wire the closest thing to an electronic in them is the coil and condenser. Granted range is limited 13-14 mpg at 45mph but a Warn OD will get that up to 17mpg at 55mph. at a curb weight of 2200-2300 lbs they can go anywhere. Will run on 80 octane fuel.

Here is your truck.....

<broken link removed>

witkowski-020313-41wc-2.jpg

witkowski-020313-41wc-2.jpg

I like to build one on a Tatra chassis

Tatras are very cool. There is a guy down by Medford who has one. They are a little hard to get parts for though.

If you want the tandem front axles, you could get a HEMTT or a MK48 for less money.

oshkosh-hemtt.jpg

Or how about an M1070? They are starting to come available now, and have a nice roomy cab.

hetm10701498thhet01of26.jpg

oshkosh-hemtt.jpg

hetm10701498thhet01of26.jpg

I like all of those military style rigs, I've seen one of the Unimog's cruising around Wash county but didn't know what it was, the Tatra also looks cool.

My wife does not prep but understands my obsession to at least try and be prepared, we are down sizing so we can travel the country, my choice is a 4 x 4 dually diesel with an 11' camper pulling my rolling enclosed workshop/supply trailer.

I don't have a phallic problem but what I do have is a clostrophobic wife so I want the biggest camper I can find, if possible I'd like the truck to have a service body with lock boxes all around for gear and a camper covered with solar panels.

Me: Yes honey, we're going on a road trip and it should be a nice vacation.

Wife: How come we have to bring enough supplies for a year?

Me: Because that's how we roll.

If you really have to hit the road it doesn't matter if you have a toyota truck or a miltary rig because everything will be a target, I figure if you're half way out to the boonies you might as well be portable and comfortable and if your camper, RV or whatever is packed and ready to go all of the time it might make a big difference.

Yes you will be a target, in a post SHTF situation, welcome to the "anything that moves is a target" club but those who have a head start may do a little better.

Like the guy said "I don't have to out run the bear, just you."

FB

How about something like this?
<broken link removed>

I was at Sandy Hill RV park when there was a Unimog camper made out of a fire truck there. Mercedes diesel in it of course.

But I tell you what,that truck in the add isn't a bad deal. Heck the engine and tranny are near worth the $8k and then just the scrap value of the rest.
But you could cut down the frame and drop one of the axles and have a pretty decent rig. Then go find a class "c" MH,take the camper off and put it on the truck frame.
Then you have the rest of the $200K to buy a bug out spot. A large bug out spot.

Any of the last 4 trucks would be great.It would take some deep mud to stop one of those I would guess.

i dont see why you would spend more than $15k on a vehicle like that. sure buying something pre-made will save a bit of time and effort but i would be much cheaper and more suited to your needs if you put it together yourself. you could get some custom work done at a local welding shop for reletively cheap if you dont have the equipment or skills to do it yourself too.

i used to put together police cruisers and paddy wagons for a company in Florida for a short while. the time and materials to put those things together is very minimal and reliable. using some Al and foam inserts will make it light and strong. good to know also, simply replacing the bed of most trucks and adding a back piece will not necessarily mean you have to do any work to the rear suspension to make it a smooth ride; just dont make it too light.

The inevitable has happened.

There are only so many possible permutations of a metal box on four wheels designed to go fast over any terrain, and from the Jeep Wrangler to the Range Rover, all of them have been explored in some degree with varying levels of ability and luxury. It was only a matter of time before a group of mad engineers gathered together and said "Screw it, let's go six-wheel-drive."

Those engineers work for Mercedes-Benz, and this creation, the G63 AMG 6x6, isn't a concept, but a luxury SUV that the German automaker will build for a handful of wealthy customers.

Six-wheel-drive trucks have been in military and commercial use for decades; Mercedes made a few for use before World War II, and its commercial division has supplied a 6x6 version of the old Gelandewagen to Austrian forces since 2011.

But that truck features a bare metal cabin and power from a 185-hp diesel. The AMG engineers swapped the drivetrain from the G63 AMG, featuring a 5.5-liter, twin-turbo V-8 good for 536 hp, mated to a seven-speed transmission, good enough to hustle the 8,300-lb. juggernaut to 60 mph in about six seconds. Inside, there's room for four passengers to ride in a tableau of luxury, from the quilted white leather seats and carbon-fiber accented dash to the bamboo-lined cargo area.

As for the six wheels, they're not just for show. AMG splits the torque 30/40/30 among the axles from front to rear for maximum traction, with locking differentials for all 37-inch wheels; the 6x6 can ford water more than three feet deep and its 52-degree approach angle means it will climb most anything short of a sheer cliff face. For desert travels, the tires can be inflated and deflated from a panel in the cabin.

more and video at link,
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...173918528.html

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews