JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the continued responses. I will say that the majority of our employees hunt, fish or camp on a regular basis. We also try and cultivate and encourage employees to hunt, fish and camp more once they start working here. Not everyone here is an expert in all things, we do sell a wide variety of gear. For example, we have an employee who is a part time range master. We have a pro staff game caller. Nearly everyone in the hunting department hunts big game, waterfowl, or upland or all three. Or they simply might have a love of firearms or reloading. We try and find employees who have a passion for the outdoors that they can share with the customers. We then try and place them in a department that puts them near the product that they are passionate about. They are not likely to all be experts, but they love the outdoors and spend time out there.

Matt Selders

Alright, I posted earlier in the 7 pages that I had positive experience there.... however after this past week I'm inclined to change my mind about shopping there ever again.

Cliff notes:
Purchased a Vortex Viper - thought i was going to use it. Ended up not using it and had lost the receipt - it was also slightly over 30 days. Sent my gf in and had her return it, supplied the card it was charged on. The clerk told her that she couldn't look up the information and that she could only give store credit. After arguing with her, she finally took the store credit and left.

I have yet to call the manager, but I am not expecting anything good. I've actually put it off because I know I'm going to want to actually go into the store.

Will keep everyone posted.

act as if you have a problem holding your bodily fluids and just walk around the store and go in your pants after a day of that im sure you will be the first one they give theyre attention to every time you walk in

Alright, I posted earlier in the 7 pages that I had positive experience there.... however after this past week I'm inclined to change my mind about shopping there ever again.

Cliff notes:
Purchased a Vortex Viper - thought i was going to use it. Ended up not using it and had lost the receipt - it was also slightly over 30 days. Sent my gf in and had her return it, supplied the card it was charged on. The clerk told her that she couldn't look up the information and that she could only give store credit. After arguing with her, she finally took the store credit and left.

I have yet to call the manager, but I am not expecting anything good. I've actually put it off because I know I'm going to want to actually go into the store.

not even wal mart will give you a cash refund without the receipt. is their return policy not posted anywhere?

from walmarts website for in store returns

Q: Do you accept RETURNS without a receipt?

A: Walmart, for several years, has accepted returns without a receipt, even though many of our competitors require receipts for all returns. Walmart gives customers the option of a cash refund (if the purchase was under $25), a shopping card for the amount of the purchase (if it was over $25) or an even exchange for the product. Also, as applicable, we follow any manufacturer's warranties.

what it boils down to is if their return policy is posted and says no cash refunds with out the receipt, you shouldn't have lost the receipt. I tend to keep the receipt with the boxes when I buy things nowadays

Cliff notes:

I dont see where it was their problem that you bought something and then changed your mind on it after several weeks. They are hardly a rental office. Now if it was defective product, I could see an issue. Changing your mind? Not really the store's fault.

I dont see where it was their problem that you bought something and then changed your mind on it after several weeks. They are hardly a rental office. Now if it was defective product, I could see an issue. Changing your mind? Not really the store's fault.

I hardly rented the item. I didn't mount it, so if they did value their customer they would do it as it wouldn't be a loss to them. Thanks for the input, Bill.

Panda,

It is our company policy to offer in store credit for returns without receipt. We do have procedures in place if there are/were extenuating circumstances, and we handle each on a case by case basis. I am sure we can help in your situation. If you would like, please contact me so I can take of this for you. I will be in today (01/02/12) until 8 pm. I am off for the next two days after but will still be able to offer assitance via email.

Regards,

Matt Selders
Store Manager, WSS Vancouver WA

so what's the problem than? you got store credit. they didn't refuse the return so I don't see how that equals a bad experience.

When someone is confrontational with you when you're trying to get what you want, that does equal a bad experience in my honest opinion. I'm not a high roller by any means, but I do purchase items probably at least bi-monthly from WSS and expect to at least be humored. From what I understand it was a swift no and a bit of an attitude. Had I gone in, it probably would have been a different case, but it wasn't so I was irritated.

Panda,you are just wrong on many levels here.'most' retail people don't 'give attitude' until they get it 1st from a customer.Also,a credit with no receipt is better than it was in the 'old days' when I was a kid..no tickee,no laundy'. I"ve NEVER had a problem with the 4th plain store,and I shop there quite often.
My wife is a walmart associate,and they DO NOT give cash on older -purchase refunds.
If i might make a suggestion,and I speak as someone who'se workd 'the other side of the counter' for 30 years..don't go in to a store with a holier-than-thou attitude.NObody likes it,and you'lll get farther with out it.
'

Kind of late entry into this thread, but some points:

I've been shopping at the 82nd Ave store since it opened as a Sportsman's. Wholesale Sports has honestly - it seems - tried to improve things since SW went under. As much as I try to buy from local, smaller shops - sometimes I just can't find what I need there, but it's on the shelf at WS. They're really expanded the fly shop inside the 82nd Ave store, and stepped up and added some nicer fly rods than they used to stock, and have a lot more tying materials in stock - usually at competitive or better prices than some of the local fly shops. I spend a lot of money at River City - but sometimes Don doesn't have what I need and I've found it at WS.

I have purchased probably half a dozen firearms from that store also - and can't say I've ever had a bad experience when purchasing. I've run into the occasional associate who wasn't really "up" on his safe gun handling skills (have had muzzles pointed at me, witnessed a lot of poor trigger discipline) in the past - but lately it seems they've got a decent crew working the counter. My most recent purchase was just last week - when a member here bought my FN, I promptly zipped across town and bought the last Glock 19 on the shelf (I would've bought a G17, had they had one. But all they had for 9's was a G26, a 19, a 17L, and a 35 - and I didn't want to pay the extra $100 for half an inch or an inch more barrel/slide.)

They also have a LOT of ammo in stock - at the best prices I've seen around town. It was only about $20 for a 25 round box of Hornady TAP ammo - $5 less than I've seen at Fisherman's Marine or the local gun shops.

The one thing I really would like to see is WS entering the used gun/trade market. 80% of the guns I've bought are used. It also would seem to me that there might be more profitability in used guns vs new, or at least the same profit margin. Example: The Gun Broker will typically offer you $260-270 trade value on a used Glock, then resell that gun for $400. They're making $130-140 off that gun when it sells. My figures my be off, but I have been lead to believe that dealer price for a basic Glock is about $400 and they sell them for $499-449 depending on model, and prices go up for guns with night sights or in the large frame guns (.45's and 10mm). If they're buying the gun for $400 and selling it for $500 - that's only $100 profit - which is less than they get on the used gun. Would seem to me that it would be profitable to deal in used guns.

Panda, first let me say that I believe you were due your money back. BUT: Here's how I would have handled it from the get-go:

1) Significant purchase DICTATES I would keep the receipt. You state you have previously not done this in addition to this instance. For me, it is a habit that has served me well.

2) Significant purchase DICTATES I would make my hard decision on quality equipment (as this is) PRIOR to the purchase. I cannot envision "changing my mind" on quality optics purchased with a not small amount of my hard-earned money.

3) Knowing that I failed in both the above, I would fully anticipate some bumps on the road should I choose to try for a refund. Therefore, such a situation DICTATES that I PERSONALLY be the one to present my problem(s) to the store. Nothing is more irritating than dealing with a "wife" or "girlfriend" of a person desiring service. This manifests itself in the worst scenario (not your scenario, but similar) when the contact is by phone, and the employee can hear the "husband" in the background coaching the "wife" what to say over the phone. Invariably the "proxy" cannot answer all questions, and cannot present the case as well as the actual customer themself. I may not be the only one here speculating you may have had at least minor difficult conversations with your girlfriend about how she handled YOUR problem. I would not have put her (or the store clerk) in a situation to resolve MY problem. I also don't have my girlfriend (or wife) call in to work when I am ill (have witnessed this from other workers). I consider it MY sole responsibility.

4) Knowing that I failed in both the above, such a situation DICTATES I would do my OWN research with my credit card company to obtain a record of the sale, and arrive with such documentation in hand. I have done this ONCE that I can recall, not "many, many times", and certainly not while asking the store to research my purchase on my credit card.

5) Knowing that I failed in both the above, such a situation DICTATES that I be polite, patient, and with full acknowledgement to the clerk of my failures (compared with written store policy), and submit my intentions for refund as a REQUEST, continuing my politenenss and patience while I ask to speak to the store Manager if the clerk declines my REQUEST, reminding both of my previous and intended future purchases at that store.

Again, if the scope was NEVER put into rings, all original packaging present, and a semi-recent purchase (even over 30 days), with credit-card records indicating a purchase from that store in hand, PERSONALLY delivered, I am on your side believing you are due a refund or whatever it takes to retain you as a good customer. It seems Matt Selders is willing to forgo some of this. Good on him. In your situation (and with my and others' suggestions), I would chalk this up as lessons learned regarding my OWN obligations as a customer. It is in this spirit and with my belief that you are a good man who learns from experience that you might take my presentation of how I would handle all this to heart.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top