JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is about storage of powders from what I understand.

I think this is another one of those things blown out of proportion. Remember when ITAR was supposed to eliminate any internet discussion of firearms and some people were saying it would be the end of NWFA?

I also have to believe that folks are reading too much into what the ATF is saying.

If you read the letter, it discusses the storage and transportation of "wetted nitrocellulose" which is of course is a key component used in the manufacture of smokeless powders. Nitrocellulose is wetted with either water or alcohol to render it safe for transportation. What the ATF seems to be saying is that even though the nitrocellulose has been rendered safe for transportation, it is still nitrocellulose and still a high explosive.

However, as I understand the industry, the vast majority of our smokeless powders are imported in their finished form and are not manufactured here, which would seem to make the whole transportation of nitrocellulose in the U.S. moot. Thoughts? ????

E

Just another fear monger skeem...

It's an election year - people panic buy right about now anyway.

If you collected it slowly over the last 4 year then you'll have enough to outlast this next bubble whether it be a small or big one will depend I guess.

(A great example is the airport non-shooting this or last week that delayed 300 planes and had passengers standing on the Tarmac. NOW the Government is taking a 180 degree turn and telling everyone NOT to be so paranoid about airport security:confused:.)

So what's a good stockpile of ammo to have, barring a WROL/SHTF scenario? 5000 rounds? 10000 rounds? I feel pretty good having close to 2000 rounds and the means to deliver them- all I need is the rest of the "rifle squad" to arrive.

Geno

I also have to believe that folks are reading too much into what the ATF is saying.

If you read the letter, it discusses the storage and transportation of "wetted nitrocellulose" which is of course is a key component used in the manufacture of smokeless powders. Nitrocellulose is wetted with either water or alcohol to render it safe for transportation. What the ATF seems to be saying is that even though the nitrocellulose has been rendered safe for transportation, it is still nitrocellulose and still a high explosive.

However, as I understand the industry, the vast majority of our smokeless powders are imported in their finished form and are not manufactured here, which would seem to make the whole transportation of nitrocellulose in the U.S. moot. Thoughts? ????

E

Most of the powder we consume in the US comes from 4 sources, St Marks in FL, New River Energetics in VA, Expro (General Dynamics) in Quebec, and ADI in NSW. Two of these major sources are domestic. Most of the powder used here is made here. The exceptions generally are Hodgdon's Hybrid powders and some of the flake pistol powders which are made by ADI, and most IMR type powders that are made by Expro. Most domestic production is in double base powders, both ball and flake.

Generally, I don't think any piece of this regulation affects anything in terms of smokeless powder. In bulk it's treated as an explosive, and it isn't until it gets to the retail packaging that it becomes a flammable solid. Even then, when transported in bulk, it's still class 1.3.

does not matter if this is misinterpreted or not

regardless of the election outcome this attack on the second wont stop.....we all ammo'd up already ......now buy reloading supplies ...
you will save ammo money, have a new hobby and ultimately the money spent on ammo is like money in the bank

Update
ScreenHunter_07%2BAug.%2B31%2B16.47.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top