JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of guys want to complain about gun storage laws. If you're so stupid and irresponsible that you allow one of your firearms to be accessed by a 9 year old and someone gets hurts and killed, you deserve the spend some times behind bars, more so than the kid that pulled the trigger. A kid that young clearly doesn't understand the full scope and consequences of his actions. A grown man should understand the potential consequences of his actions

From the article: "At this time, it is still undetermined which shot ultimately struck and killed Mr. Smith."

Sounds to me like there were multiple shots fired at the poor guy, or at least in his general direction. What the hell is wrong with kids these days? Or, more broadly, just people in general? When I was that age, I used to tramp around the wilds surrounding the ranch with either a .22 bolt action rifle or a .410 bolt action shotgun. I was always careful about which way I shot because my dad drilled the safety rules into my head.

Lots of guys want to complain about gun storage laws.
We should complain about gun storage laws. The way "Gun Storage Laws" are written by the ignoramuses in Salem are ridiculous. Should be real simple. If your kid gets your gun and hurts someone with it, and the kid didn't have to break into a secure storage area, compartment or break locks to obtain the gun, the adult gun owner is responsible. How many pages was 544...Yeah, 12 pages!

Lots of guys want to complain about gun storage laws. If you're so stupid and irresponsible that you allow one of your firearms to be accessed by a 9 year old and someone gets hurts and killed, you deserve the spend some times behind bars, more so than the kid that pulled the trigger. A kid that young clearly doesn't understand the full scope and consequences of his actions. A grown man should understand the potential consequences of his actions
That's great if your are an ignorant parent with equally ignorant children. My bothers and I have had guns since we were 8 or 9, kept them leaned up in the corners or our rooms, walked through the neighborhood on our way to our favorite hunting areas....at 8 or 9 years old, in California, and no one ever batted an eye, and we never shot anyone.

But nowadays ignorance and emotion are in vogue apparently.

Good grief.... when my friends and I were 8/9 we had BBgun wars in the backyard, but got in trouble if we shot any songbirds. YES, we knew what death was.... to say otherwise would be ridiculous.

The .22 rifle was only used with parental supervision. This was in S Calif suburbs of E LA County. But my wife grew up in NE OR and they all took their .22s to school and hunted squirrels on the way home... they knew what death was firsthand from hunting.

Teach your children well. I took mine out and blew up watermelons at a distance that they would get some on them.... told them this is what a gun will do to anything/anybody you point it at. We had unlocked guns and our kids never touched them. (Edit: Maybe because we shot together a lot and they could get to shoot with me anytime they wanted.) But somehow today's kids are different. Or maybe it's the parents. Or maybe it's the permissive environment. Or maybe it's the world we live in. But for gosh sakes teach your children well!!!

Last Edited:
sounds like piss poor parenting. those boys should know right from wrong and respect firearms. im taking my boys (7,4) shooting today to celebrate independence day.

Pretty sure a 9 year old with a .22 has killed many things already... and knows their rifle is lethal.
"Involuntary Manslaughter" is nothing but a excuse (And an appeasement) for guilty parenting. These kids aimed, and fired a rifle at a human - multiple times in attempts to hit him. Trying to convince me that they didn't fully appreciate the severity of their crime, attempting and then actually Murdering the man - is an insult to my intelligence. I grew up in a nasty city jungle. Kids with no fear or qualms are the scariest things alive.
I suggest a rope and a very public execution.
These 2 may not care - but the example that would be set would serve the public and potential copy-cats well.
Any kid who can fire a weapon at me, much less set off an IED in a war zone - is no longer a, kid. They are enemy combatants.
I've seen first hand what a gang of 12 year old animals can do. It's not pretty.
NFG. :cool:

lof.jpeg ak.jpeg

I was nine when I got my first rifle, 22lr winchester 67. Neighbor young friend and I took our 22s out as often as we could afford ammo. We didn't shoot people. Walked for miles carrying our rifles out of town and nobody ever said a word in Corvallis Oregon.

It ain't the gun, it's the kids, it's the culture. Back then we didn't have the net and TV turning us into morons that want to kill. So yes you are right, lock the guns up so kids can't get them. :s0093:

lock the guns up so kids can't get them.

IF I had kids around today, I would lock my guns away. But I don't need or want GOVT telling me that I HAVE to do so, I can manage on my own as a RESPONSIBLE ADULT. Anybody that can't doesn't need GOVT to give them a fine, they need to be held accountable when/IF bad shlit happens.

Teaching firearm safety as well as :

Just what bullets and shot , does when it hits something...be it a target or flesh...

Basic ballistics and what happens if you miss and why a back stop is important...

Along with teaching respect for others..
Respect for life and understanding the power of life and death that you now have when handling a firearm , should be taught.

How this is taught , depends on who is learning...What methods and teaching styles that will be effective for one person or place...will be different for another.
Kinda like safe storage laws....what works and is safe in one home , may not be for another household.

All in all a sad story in the OP that could have prevent...If....
If , a small word with huge consequences at times.
Andy

We should complain about gun storage laws. The way "Gun Storage Laws" are written by the ignoramuses in Salem are ridiculous. Should be real simple. If your kid gets your gun and hurts someone with it, and the kid didn't have to break into a secure storage area, compartment or break locks to obtain the gun, the adult gun owner is responsible. How many pages was 544...Yeah, 12 pages!
I wonder if one of the kids OWNED the gun in question. My dad was given his own .22 when he was eight and had full access to it. Not enough information available IMO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top