JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IF I had kids around today, I would lock my guns away. But I don't need or want GOVT telling me that I HAVE to do so, I can manage on my own as a RESPONSIBLE ADULT. Anybody that can't doesn't need GOVT to give them a fine, they need to be held accountable when/IF bad shlit happens.
I don't have any kids around but I do go outside a lot. Being old like the guy on the tractor I would like to get home without a bullet in the back fired by somebody's kids. :s0093:

I wonder if one of the kids OWNED the gun in question. My dad was given his own .22 when he was eight and had full access to it. Not enough information available IMO.
It was common in my day to be given a 22lr and parents loved the kids bringing home food they shot. I could have brought home more game with a better 22.:D

That's a parenting/cultural problem, not a gun storage problem.
Just a point of view but sometimes kids just shouldn't have a gun, just like some teenagers shouldn't have a car. People get hurt. Yes if the kid is responsible and smart enough then a gun is fine but some kids don't have it upstairs to handle a gun safely. Even a good parent can have a dumb kid.

Lots of guys want to complain about gun storage laws. If you're so stupid and irresponsible that you allow one of your firearms to be accessed by a 9 year old and someone gets hurts and killed, you deserve the spend some times behind bars, more so than the kid that pulled the trigger. A kid that young clearly doesn't understand the full scope and consequences of his actions. A grown man should understand the potential consequences of his actions
I never owned a gun until my 40s. Neighbors and friends tell me when they were kids they would romp around the woods with their 22s until dinner time.

I know people all of a sudden became stupid. But if the parents of the boys were the kids romping thru the woods, were people always stupid? I wouldn't have allowed it but I am very late to the firearms party. I didn't grow up in a rural community. We'll say it's stupid but how many have done it and never hurt anyone?

Just my opinion but what first changed Oregon was too many people moved in. We went from a timber and agriculture state to a service economy. Folks used to hunt and fish being part of the outdoors so guns were a natural part of the culture.

Now days folks are hobbyist or defenders of the 2nd when it comes to guns. Too much population means more guns will be used for evil but more good people arm themselves seeing that evil.

I don't know the full story on the two kids that killed that old man, it seems to be culture driven given the times we live in. Or they are just bad kids. o_O

Just a point of view but sometimes kids just shouldn't have a gun, just like some teenagers shouldn't have a car. People get hurt. Yes if the kid is responsible and smart enough then a gun is fine but some kids don't have it upstairs to handle a gun safely. Even a good parent can have a dumb kid.
I don't see why even a dumb kid can't have a .22 that stays locked up and is used only with parental supervision. As a SO/RO for IDPA pistol matches, I know I can keep my grandkids safe when we go out to shoot, and yeah, they do some dumb stuff, but I'm right there to stop/redirect.

I don't see why even a dumb kid can't have a .22 that stays locked up and is used only with parental supervision. As a SO/RO for IDPA pistol matches, I know I can keep my grandkids safe when we go out to shoot, and yeah, they do some dumb stuff, but I'm right there to stop/redirect.
Kids grow a great deal when given responsibility and a gun is a good tool for that growth. Our junior club at the range is really helping kids become adults. There are a lot of good kids that could use the time in the gun culture to grow and learn good values. I appreciate men like you that help kids, it was men like you that helped my kid in the junior club.

It's what we old guys are here for in my opinion.

Huh?

I'm a literal kinda guy, I suspect a joke or a pun, or whatever that is.... but a law is a law.... holding people responsible uses EXISTING law, rather than creating useless/toothless so called 'safe storage" laws.
In Oregon atleast, until sb554, there was no existing law punishing negligent storage. I don't like SB554 becuase it punishes victims, but a new law would need to be made.

Kids grow a great deal when given responsibility and a gun is a good tool for that growth. Our junior club at the range is really helping kids become adults. There are a lot of good kids that could use the time in the gun culture to grow and learn good values. I appreciate men like you that help kids, it was men like you that helped my kid in the junior club.

It's what we old guys are here for in my opinion.
I learned to appreciate old guys when I lived in Huntington Beach, Calif, and would visit the pier late at night. The old guys would be glad to chat, knew a lot of stuff, and taught me how to fish off the pier. Later, after I had moved to PNW, old guys taught me how to catch salmon/steelhead. Old guys rock!!!

Now I are one.... time to pay it back. I enjoy helping younguns learn stuff.

In Oregon atleast, until sb554, there was no existing law punishing negligent storage.
Not per se, but per my earlier post there has always been criminal negligence as well as civil law. Do I really need to cite cases where parents were held responsible.... but I'm not sure we are holding anybody responsible for anything anymore... unless it is failure to wear a mask.

Now I are one.... time to pay it back. I enjoy helping younguns learn stuff.
That's been my line! "Always worked for little old ladies/men.........now I are one."
Where I grew up I was friends with all the older folks on our street..

This is one of my grandkids and has been shooting safely since he was 8-yrs old because I spent time with him and showed him how. I'd put his abilities up against most adults. His cousins now 17 and 15 were taught the same and shoot just as well.

04E444A8-A78D-4368-A5E1-2933FFC94A87.jpeg

My FIL told me stories of growing up around Stayton Oregon. Him and his friend went to the store and bought 3 shotgun shells for a Nickle and hunted for Pheasants for dinner. Life was good for kids back then.

Lots of guys want to complain about gun storage laws. If you're so stupid and irresponsible that you allow one of your firearms to be accessed by a 9 year old and someone gets hurts and killed, you deserve the spend some times behind bars, more so than the kid that pulled the trigger. A kid that young clearly doesn't understand the full scope and consequences of his actions. A grown man should understand the potential consequences of his actions
At 8 I outsmarted many grown men.
Not proud of it. Nobody can say there's nothing they've ever done as a child is above regret. Regret comes later in life - understanding consequences for actions in real time is what defines a person. When I did bad things, I knew they were bad things... A parent, or a weapons custodian should not be held to the same standard of liability. That's like blaming a bad chicken coop builder for the sins of a Fox.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top