JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While this is a tragedy and should have never happened I sincerely hope it was NOT intentional and was nothing more than the result of extreme negligence.

IF so it should NOT lessen the charges and they should face the maximum under the laws of the state, and possibly parents as well.

If however it was intentional that would add a new 'dimension' to this with a LOT of questions.

While this is a tragedy and should have never happened I sincerely hope it was NOT intentional and was nothing more than the result of extreme negligence.

IF so it should NOT lessen the charges and they should face the maximum under the laws of the state, and possibly parents as well.

If however it was intentional that would add a new 'dimension' to this with a LOT of questions.
Define, "Negligence"...
These kids sighted a rifle at a human. And pulled the trigger of same rifle.
Numerous times it seems.

I live in a very old world.
This... this? This is not my planet.

These kids sighted a rifle at a human. And pulled the trigger of same rifle.
My point is the article is vague and does not state specifically they intentionally targeted the man, or if they were just randomly shooting in his direction and maybe did not see him.

Another article says, ' Both boys shot at Danny Andrew Smith with a rifle as he rode his tractor in the field' which suggests it was intentional however the next sentence says, 'investigators charged both boys because 'they both fired the gun in Smith's direction' - which could mean it was random and not intentional.

My point is the article is vague and does not state specifically they intentionally targeted the man, or if they were just randomly shooting in his direction and maybe did not see him.

Another article says, ' Both boys shot at Danny Andrew Smith with a rifle as he rode his tractor in the field' which suggests it was intentional however the next sentence says, 'investigators charged both boys because 'they both fired the gun in Smith's direction' - which could mean it was random and not intentional.
If I ever needed a Defense Attorney, I would hope it would be you.

I am no longer the parent of a minor. But when I was, being a functional adult, I was acutely aware that I was responsible for anything my child did. Has something changed???

Last Edited:
Interesting live report on the news this morning about this.

The boys are NOT being held as the laws of the state are anyone younger than 11 cannot be held.

Prediction was because they are being tried as juveniles it will most likely be handled as 'rehabilitation' as opposed to doing any time.

Parents will most likely not face any criminal charges but will most likely see civil charges against them.

Still unclear as to the details (or they are being withheld) as to whether it was intentional however they are being charged with 'involuntary manslaughter' and the way the reporter was describing a few details it sounds like maybe they were shooting into the air and were some distance away from the man on the tractor.

I agree with 308: training is the essential element.

Every kid should receive training in the safe handling and use of firearms before being turned loose with one. It helps when the training is reinforced by other elders in a structured environment, like youth programs or shooting competitions.

I question the intelligence of unsupervised use of firearms by kids that young in today's society.
I'm certain there are some who are smart and responsible enough to be permitted that activity.
I'm also certain that there are some who aren't.

I agree with the idea that not every kid should have unsupervised access to a gun, even after training, because some kids are just bad.
The question of permission shouldn't be decided by government and applied to everyone.
It should be decided by parents and applied individually.
Unfortunately, our society has a shortage of good parents, which opens the door to government solutions for a problem that should be prevented by intelligent parenting, not blanket govt intervention.

Incidents like this fuel the fire for storage laws.

I agree with the members here who suggest that the parents should be accountable.
I disagree with the members who don't think the parents should be accountable. A fox is a natural predator of defenseless chickens. If the fox naturally gets into your henhouse, the problem is not the fox, it's your crappy henhouse.
I see no parallels between that anecdote and the modern American propensity for denying responsibility for your actions or the actions of your minor age children.
If parents are not responsible for the actions of 9-year old kids, who is?

Last - it will be interesting to learn whether the kids were aiming and firing at the man on the tractor, or shooting over a rise with no knowledge of the man on the tractor's presence downrange. I didn't read the articles.

Last - it will be interesting to learn whether the kids were aiming and firing at the man on the tractor, or shooting over a rise with no knowledge of the man on the tractor's presence downrange.
This is still an 'unknown' ( or not yet being reported) but a live news report about it this morning the reporter 'kind of' inferred they were some distance away and were shooting in the air.

Below is from a more recent report:

"After a consultation with the Solicitor's Office, and based on the evidence obtained in our ongoing investigation, we believe that both juvenile males discharged a firearm in a reckless manner in the direction of Mr. Smith who was bush hogging on some family property," said Oconee County Sheriff Mike Crenshaw.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top