JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
A real shame Schwbdl...I would have sweetened the deal by giving you the truck below my cost and by finding the sweetest financing I could wrangle, just for exercising your Constitutional right to bare arms!

That is not what I got out of his post at all.

I will NOT give my money to someone who treats me poorly. That is what it is about. But then again I am sure there are people that like being treated poorly and willing to pay for it......................... Why should I make someones life better who makes mine worse?

Just a mere observation and practical/tactical lesson for all of us. I've got no horse in this race and am not 'siding with anyone, blaming anyone, or getting involved in any way other than just pointing out for those of us who are committed to a lifestyle of avoidance: Avoidance means doing everything one can to avoid compromise of our security resources/capability and certainly confrontations. It just seems obvious all of this would have been prevented/avoided had the carry weapon (I'm assuming this means concealed handgun) was not compromised. Concealed means concealed. My observation has nothing to do with who is right, who was wrong, and who has rights. My observations and comments are only pertaining to tactics.

This is not the first time when the compromise of a concealed handgun has ratcheted up a normal situation into something much worse.

Oh brother.

This is BS.If he was in a secure environment,ie; lots of employes and not much of a chance of getting mugged or robbed,there wasn't any need to be completely concealed.
Wh3en was the last time you heard of a major car lot being robbed?
AND since Oregon IS an OC state,he doesn't need to be completely concealed every minute he carries.

I do believe the OC is a tactical disadvantage over CC,but I don't sweat it much if it shows a little.
This would have not happened if the salesman was mature enough to mind his own business. Believe me,car sale is not a place for ideals.You can't have them and make a living.
And the statement about felons..LOL... I worked with more guys that were felons than were not at the lot I sold at.

Couple more things,coyote guy,being arrogant means he does have an ego

It is easy to fire sales people at a dealership,especially if they have interrupted in the income of the dealership

NOBODY is hiring monkeys and making TONS of sales with the economy like it is,this time of year or not.

You would be a fool to not walk out of any store that some employee came out of no where and harassed you for any reason.Least of all a salesman...at a car dealership
Then for it to be for this reason? None of his business at all

There are way too many places to do business to not walk for little reasons,let alone bigger things like this.

Again you did the right thing.And I would hope more of us start doing this so we can have some respect from these type places

BTW,little tip here.
Walking at a dealership is the best way to get a great deal.Doesn't need to be any reason at all.Just say you and the wife are getting some air and drive off.
They want to take control,and if you leave,they just lost all control of the sale
By the time you get back,the salesman won't have any a$$ left and he will work hard to get the deal done.

No I said he was. Wasnt pointing any fingers at anyone else. Simmer down.

And a warm and hearty hello to you too. ;) You may have misread the intended tone of my reply. It's common to use the term "used car salesman" to insult a car salesman. When you do this you're insulting all car salesman, be it deliberate or inadvertent. Did I misunderstand your intent? BTW, to save us some ink, I'm not in sales and don't work at a dealership.

Strain yourself making that broad jump? Unbelievable!

Might have stretched a tendon. ;)

That was kind of the point - to show how he was reaching a bit with his insult. Just having a little fun. I saw no indication of the guy's level of education or which lot he worked. For that matter, most new car dealerships, if I understand correctly, have their staff cover both used and new cars, so while the guy is probably technically a used car salesman... Well you probably get where I'm going.

He has his opinion you have yours. He has his rights (tell you to leave:s0008:) you have yours (spend your money somewhere else:s0025:). Here is my opinion if you are CC the only person that should know that you are packing is you :s0159: and your first mistake was thinking of buying a ford FORD :s0002:

The issue is not with the carry piece being seen. Mine is seen all the time. The "should not be seen..." comments are typical of the cc crowd trying to turn the tables and lay blame on the carrier. The issue is with an employee placing his personal beliefs into a situation that was not his business. Had he done that where I work he would have been fired immediately and perhaps in front of the customer.

The issue is not with the carry piece being seen. Mine is seen all the time. The "should not be seen..." comments are typical of the cc crowd trying to turn the tables and lay blame on the carrier. The issue is with an employee placing his personal beliefs into a situation that was not his business. Had he done that where I work he would have been fired immediately and perhaps in front of the customer.

Exactly. Were I in the position of the fellow who lost the sale, I'd have had a rather pointed conversation with management with regard to keeping one's personal feelings away from my wallet.

Not enough reason to boycott and you really got mad over nothing.

So some peon thought he was a big boy and stuck his nose into something he shouldn't have. IMO the sales manager did right by making him apologize. Even as pathetic the apology was, it still put the guy in his place and left a big dent in his ego.

he did that to make a sale..

car salesman are scum

no where is my dislike your post button.

tho shall not infringe, especially in some douchbag sales setting where they are trying to make money

Exactly,everyone wants to spin everything to have others see it their way.
Let's get it right.Y'all have an open carry state.He could have OCed there. They may have told him he couldn't OC there and then the same thing would have happened.

It is not the OP's fault this happened.He did nothing wrong.It should have been a non issue,having the gun seen.
It was the fault of someone who thought his ideals were more important than his job.Had this been in a hippy shop of some kind,or obviously a left winger's hide out,then yes,he shouldn't have let it be seen.

Glockguy did nothing wrong at all.But y'all will find fault and spin it otherwise

every place that employs a number of people has a percentage of d1cks working for them, sometimes you have the misfortune to encounter them, sometimes they walk right past and inflict themselves on the guy behind you.
Life is too short to waste energy and passion on them.
If this is exactly as described, the dealership made it clear that his opinion was not their position and you got an apology. I would have accepted it with good grace and bought the car.

They have the most uneducated sales people (when it comes to their product) of any dealership there. When the Challenger came out two sales people were saying 'this has the brand new Hemi 6.1 liter - incredible 400 hp engine!!'. First, it is rated 425. Then I said, 'yes, that is great but it isn't new.' It was put in the 300 Hemi back in 2006 going forward. They argued with me for ten minutes over that issue. Dips.

In this economy, if you walk in wearing a Mankini and red devil horns, but have your checkbook with you, they should STFU and kiss your butt. To make an issue with a possible customer/sale over a carry gun is ludicrous on the worst level. If I was the sales manager I'd skip the apology demand and fire the guy right on the spot.

I say you did the right thing because now the management will know that they lost a sale due to that azzclown and that is more important an issue to them than anything. Most likely the salesperson WILL mouth off again to someone else and lose his job.

Good for you for sticking up for yourself and telling them to shove their sale.

That is not what I got out of his post at all.

I will NOT give my money to someone who treats me poorly. That is what it is about. But then again I am sure there are people that like being treated poorly and willing to pay for it......................... Why should I make someones life better who makes mine worse?

I believe you may have misunderstood my post. If I owned that dealership, I would have fired the offensive sales person on the spot and made the buyer, in this case; Schwbdl, the sweeetest car deal of his life! Even if it cost me money to do it!

Dune

Businesses and employees of businesses act in unfavorable ways to their customers because people DON'T walk. Admittedly, when the product or service is NOWHERE ELSE available, I have been compelled to "suck it up" and submit to the treatment in order to obtain what I need.

Fortunately, new cars are not one of these products. A ten-minute drive in either direction will deliver the customer to another Ford dealer, and if you are honest about the deal that was almost struck at the "bad guy's place", the new dealer will honor it or better it.

As to the "apology", an apology that is not sincere is worse than none at all. It mocks the person wronged. It is easy to discern a genuine one from a fabricated/commanded one (as did the OP). A sincere apology carries three elements: 1) Specific acknowledgement of one's wrongdoing, 2) An estimate or statement of the damage that was done, 3) A true and practical plan to make right and avoid same behavior in the future.

Managerial skills 101: Had I been that Sales Manager, I would have directed that salesman to get in his car and drive to the nearest gun shop and purchase a box of shells for the OP's gun. No different than bringing a customer a cup of coffee. Regardless of the "smarminess" or "reluctance" of the verbal apology, the OP would know the monetary value of the shells, and having the salesman hand them to him personally would be worth staying and doing some business.

Upon completion of the sale, I would have a very brief discussion with the salesman regarding his very doubtful continued employment.

Not taking either side here, but it's amazing how black and white people can make issues when they don't have a vested interest. I assume none of us work for the dealership, so it's easy to simply say fire the salesman. On the other side, we don't really care where the OP buys his car (no offense meant OP), so its easy to say boycott the dealership.

It's all a gray area. Having worked in HR before, its not as easy as you all would like to make it seem to fire a person. Employees are well protected these days, even those who aren't unionized. The sales manager seems to have reprimanded him and asked him to apologize to the customer (even if it was a lame-*** conditional apology). I expect he probably could have sweetened the deal a bit, but he apparently chose not to. That would seem to have been a mistake.

The OP let his carry piece show. In an ideal world, it wouldn't matter. In an ideal world, it shouldn't matter. But it's not an ideal world, and sometimes it does matter. If I were brought up in an anti-gun household and was uncomfortable around guns, then seeing someone with a hidden gun on their person would make me uncomfortable in a place where I have a reasonable right and expectation to feel safe. Most of us who carry or shoot see a CCW that prints and make notes so we don't make the same mistake. Personally, I am of the opinion that the only person who should know you are carrying is you. But that's just my opinion. So this too would seem is a gray area. Some people don't seem to care if they show. They think that if other people feel uncomfortable, that's their problem.

There is not a really good clear cut answer to boycott or not to boycott. All I can say is that I count myself lucky to live in Central/Eastern Oregon where most of the dealership people are gun owners and shooters.

Not taking either side here, but it's amazing how black and white people can make issues when they don't have a vested interest. I assume none of us work for the dealership, so it's easy to simply say fire the salesman. On the other side, we don't really care where the OP buys his car (no offense meant OP), so its easy to say boycott the dealership.

It's all a gray area. Having worked in HR before, its not as easy as you all would like to make it seem to fire a person. Employees are well protected these days, even those who aren't unionized. The sales manager seems to have reprimanded him and asked him to apologize to the customer (even if it was a lame-*** conditional apology). I expect he probably could have sweetened the deal a bit, but he apparently chose not to. That would seem to have been a mistake.

The OP let his carry piece show. In an ideal world, it wouldn't matter. In an ideal world, it shouldn't matter. But it's not an ideal world, and sometimes it does matter. If I were brought up in an anti-gun household and was uncomfortable around guns, then seeing someone with a hidden gun on their person would make me uncomfortable in a place where I have a reasonable right and expectation to feel safe. Most of us who carry or shoot see a CCW that prints and make notes so we don't make the same mistake. Personally, I am of the opinion that the only person who should know you are carrying is you. But that's just my opinion. So this too would seem is a gray area. Some people don't seem to care if they show. They think that if other people feel uncomfortable, that's their problem.

There is not a really good clear cut answer to boycott or not to boycott. All I can say is that I count myself lucky to live in Central/Eastern Oregon where most of the dealership people are gun owners and shooters.

Almost pushed the like button on this.

I also don't like the "Boycott" idea for a single issue. If it becomes widespread and publicly confirmed then so be it.

I don't know of any company that would not be justified for firing an employee for being rude to a customer. Union or not. Especially in light of the attempted appeasement.

As far as the "gun showing" Not an issue in any way. Open carry is legal. If the offended salesperson was alarmed he should have gone to management to make a decision or confront and let it be a corporate decision. It is not his position to inject his personal views. I don't like foriegn made shoes. I don't go up to customers and tell them that. Especially someone elses customers.

You live in central Oregon! Yes, you lucky guy! I love it there! Ok, I hit the like button!

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top