JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Learn not to break concealment. Learn that breaking concealment upsets some folks. Some of them have power.

You caused this, not him, not them.

So if I have my CHL and I OC, it's my fault if someone automatically gets afraid when they see a gun?
Is it okay for me to blame morbidly obese people when I lose my appetite to eat, if I see one cruising down the street in a motorized wheel chair?

Not a very smart salesman... Definitely not someone who's trying to make money....I used to work at a Ford sales company up here in Seattle... If I saw your gun I would have used the fact that you carry as a talking point... And maybe shown you all the clever little nooks the car offered as concealment spots. But hey... some people just don't have the hustle gene.

Learn not to break concealment. Learn that breaking concealment upsets some folks. Some of them have power.

I don't get this a little slip might happen every once in awhile it's not like he was waving it around. If it offended the salesman he should of went to the manager and let him handle it not freak out on a customer.

That's a load of crap. The buyer could have been an FBI agent, a local LEO, or just a legal CHL holder. The expectation that the world is going to conform to your views and coddle your personal sensibilities is childish. Obviously, the management agrees with this dipstick or he wouldn't be on their payroll for long. I don't buy Fords to start with, but I'd certainly never spend a dime at any dealership where I was treated like this.

Isn't Dick's the dealership that advertises that "Dick says yes"? They obviously aim their advertising at people with bad credit, who are desperate for a car at any interest rate or price. I've found that businesses who do this often develop an arrogance and become abusive. I avoid them like the plague.

I don't think anyone is contending open carry isn't legal, just that in a lot of situations it's ill advised. Personally the only time I OC is at the range or out in the woods because I'd rather not have to discuss firearms and the virtues of concealed/open carry with some judgmental mouth breather when I just want to go about my business. I deal with the public all day- on my time I'd rather people leave me alone. I respect anyone's choice to OC if they choose- I just think it invites controversy because for the most part people in Oregon are anti-gun liberal types that don't know the laws, or don't agree with them so they will either blatantly disregard them or make your life a pain in the azz. What if instead of confronting you, the salesperson just called the cops and said there was some dude with a gun on the property- then you have to deal with cops instead of some jack wagon salesman- and in Portland that could totally get you shot...Just my opinion though

I too believe no "boycott" is warranted in this case, except of course with regard to the personal decision of the person wronged. Had the Sales Manager supported his employee's unwarranted and abruptly expressed fear, that would convey a corporate philosophy that would warrant a boycott.

I don't believe the employee should have been fired on the spot either. People make mistakes. A decision to retain this employee would hinge on (during our professional, private employer/employee discussion) his honest acknowledgement of his mistake, recognition of the damage done, and expressions of willingness to make right and never engage in the behavior again. (There's those three elements again!) Any "smarminess", self-righteousness or reluctance toward these elements would require that the Manager engage whatever disciplinary process is in effect at that business to deal with such behavior, to perhaps include termination.

As for concealed carry (even with open carry being legal), every effort should be made to truly achieve it. Once again, people make mistakes. As members of the firearm community, we cannot ignore the existing undeniable fact that guns evoke (sometimes irrational) reactions from those unfamiliar with them. I would never make judgements toward someone who chose to open carry where legal (I've done it; very often in fact in Montana where I was raised, even as a child: I took great pride and swaggered quite confidently into restaurants with my trusty Bearcat on my belt at the age of 12). In todays world (and on this side of the Cascades), the person who chooses (legally) to open carry, or the person who allows (even accidentally) his concealed gun to show, must realize that negative reactions will be numerous, expected, and VERY OFTEN not worth the inconvenience and interruption of one's normal daily activities as a result of the gun seen.

One more thing: I took umbrage at an implication written on this thread that the Salesman was endowed with any level of "authority" regarding this specific issue.

Better than a boycott (scorched-earth fantasy here), would be to accomodate those on the website inquiring about "get-togethers", along with supporting the OP's indignation: Multiple NWFA members arrive in unison at McKenzie Ford engaged in blatant open carry, and insist on dealing with this misguided Salesman ONLY, to do test drives (Someone mentioned the individual desire to do so early in this thread).

Of course my mentioned caution and practical realization of inconvenience and interruption to our daily activities would be expected. Cops and media would probably show up.

"a salesman who had absolutely nothing to do with my deal caught a glimpse of my carry weapon and came over demanding to see my carry permit. I told him if he wasn't law enforcement to take a hike. "

I wonder what the outcome would have been if you had said, "sure I have a CHL", and had shown it to him.?

How about just posting on Dick's website to come take a look at this thread?

I think they'll find it on their own.

Depending on the search terms used, this thread is on the first page of Google results when searching for the dealership.

"a salesman who had absolutely nothing to do with my deal caught a glimpse of my carry weapon and came over demanding to see my carry permit. I told him if he wasn't law enforcement to take a hike. "

I wonder what the outcome would have been if you had said, "sure I have a CHL", and had shown it to him.?

That might have been your choice (and right for you), and you are also right in speculating the outcome might have been different. But the cretin had no business asking ("demanding"). It would have been the Manager's business not to ask to see the permit, but certainly his right to ask the OP to leave the property if he felt that was necessary, and the OP's legal obligation to depart immediately. My reply to the insect (demanding ANYTHING from me) would have been at a level less polite than "take a hike".

Better than a boycott (scorched-earth fantasy here), would be to accomodate those on the website inquiring about "get-togethers", along with supporting the OP's indignation: Multiple NWFA members arrive in unison at McKenzie Ford engaged in blatant open carry, and insist on dealing with this misguided Salesman ONLY, to do test drives (Someone mentioned the individual desire to do so early in this thread).

Of course my mentioned caution and practical realization of inconvenience and interruption to our daily activities would be expected. Cops and media would probably show up.

Fantasy indeed, as it would probably qualify as harassment, and would directly interfere with the salesman's and dealership's ability to make income. IANAL, but it sure sounds like a bad idea. If you're going to engage in fantasy, be creative - wish him explosive diarrhea. In the middle of a test drive. In their most expensive car.

I don't think anyone is contending open carry isn't legal, just that in a lot of situations it's ill advised. Personally the only time I OC is at the range or out in the woods because I'd rather not have to discuss firearms and the virtues of concealed/open carry with some judgmental mouth breather when I just want to go about my business. I deal with the public all day- on my time I'd rather people leave me alone. I respect anyone's choice to OC if they choose- I just think it invites controversy because for the most part people in Oregon are anti-gun liberal types that don't know the laws, or don't agree with them so they will either blatantly disregard them or make your life a pain in the azz. What if instead of confronting you, the salesperson just called the cops and said there was some dude with a gun on the property- then you have to deal with cops instead of some jack wagon salesman- and in Portland that could totally get you shot...Just my opinion though

Yep, happened at a costco not long ago.

First off, how did you get made? Or were you just unconcerned about whether your concealed firearm was showing? I mean, O/C or CC, but pick one.

The manager made the guy come back and apologize. So what more do you want?

If *I* had been the manager I would not have fired the guy in front of you. He may well get fired over such a thing (likely) but I don't do my personnel management in front of customers.

So again, what was it you wanted? One employee is an a$$hat, the management makes the guy apologize to the customer for his bad behavior. I'm failing to see a reason to boycott anyone. If the MANAGER had been the one to lay into you, I would see your point. But one salesman? Seriously? Relax already rude people are everywhere and life is too short to stay mad about it days later.

First off, how did you get made? Or were you just unconcerned about whether your concealed firearm was showing? I mean, O/C or CC, but pick one.

The manager made the guy come back and apologize. So what more do you want?

If *I* had been the manager I would not have fired the guy in front of you. He may well get fired over such a thing (likely) but I don't do my personnel management in front of customers.

So again, what was it you wanted? One employee is an a$$hat, the management makes the guy apologize to the customer for his bad behavior. I'm failing to see a reason to boycott anyone. If the MANAGER had been the one to lay into you, I would see your point. But one salesman? Seriously? Relax already rude people are everywhere and life is too short to stay mad about it days later.

Customer Service does not equal political or religous opinions! I had the same thing happen to me there and i complained about the salesman, to ford and to Mckenzie, they have not said a word to me but the weekly call of "when can we make that deal happen". The employee is an direct reflection of the business. Same reason I go to some resturants and some I don't. I love the food at Outback, but I hate the service, so i don't go, i like the food at Claim Jumpers, and I go all the time cause i love the service. If your going to sell me a 65k truck, you better be at your best, cause there are 10 other ford dealers around

Dude, that indiscrete dipsh*t salesman is already living in his own personal hell, so don't worry about him. It's been a couple years and he's bounced through a half dozen more dealerships since then.

But secrets are for trusted confidants you know well, and no one else.

So acknowledging that idiots can always be counted upon to react idiotically in idiotic situations, I would simply wonder why/how that idiot was allowed to find out you were sporting a concealed weapon.

People spot my carry gun all the time. I don't give a rip if I let my shirt rise a bit. Its a tool.

The guys that blame the gun owner for accidentally flashing are the same guys that buy into the "Sporting purpose" bs.

Gun owners that condemn other gun owners aree going to end up losing it for all of us.

I get the concealed means concealed idea, but you aren't murdering babies if your shirt rides up for a second.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads