JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whoa!

Hello fellow forums members. Thought I 'd share something that happened to me yesterday. First let me say. I love these forums. The stories, the classifieds. I met some cool people from this place. So yesterday I finally sold my Winchester 1200.(yay) We met up, done the deal, chatted for a second, told me he was just going to use it for a fun gun, and went on our way.

I'm sitting at home when I get a text from the buyer. He calls and tells me that the firearm I just sold him seem to be stolen! WHAT! He also told me he was a local leo and that he was running it to make sure it wasn't. But surprise surpise! He then told me that he found out that it came from nebraska and was stolen in 1985. Well i was born in 84 so I couldn't of done it. He got in touch with origonal owners and told him he recovered their shotgun. I apologized for everything and told me, it wasnt my fault. How was i suppose to know unless i looked up serial numbers. We did nothing wrong. Private sales are private sales. These things happen sometimes.

Heck that sucks. But the origonal owners was quite happy and they were going to give it to their son.

So all in all. Everything worked out kind of. Except for our poor friend "the leo". And another thing I wonder. The story of the gun. Where it has been and how many owners. 27 years is a long time. And the chances of it actually being found was slim. Lesson... who knows? Check numbers? Sure if you can.

If thats not a little crazy. I don't know what is.

sounds like a scammer to me? did you give him his money back ? not an insult to the leo if it was a real deal just the first thing that came to my mind is how do you pull all of that off in one day?

I swear I had no idea. I would've given him some of his money back but I have been really tight on bills and the money was already off towards them. It was about three hours after our transaction. He told me it was stolen and he was going to try to contact the og owners. Then a few hours later told me he did and that they were going to send it back over there. I did agree to be in the statement. So i should be getting a copy of that. I am still shocked and awed. Just thought I might share this experience with you guys. Totally legit transaction. He was a really nice guy too. Sounded like an leo to me.

sounds like a scammer to me? did you give him his money back ? not an insult to the leo if it was a real deal just the first thing that came to my mind is how do you pull all of that off in one day?

It's easy, it could occure in less then 5 minutes, if everyone wanted it too. On the stolen hit (stolen guns are never expunged from the NCIC database) is listed the original owner and contact info. LEO checks the number on the gun, stolen hit comes back with the info. LEO contacts the owners "Did you all have a Winchester 1200 stolen in '84?" They confirm it and from there it's just a matter of shipping it back to them.

The Oregon State Police provides a free service that allows you to run the serial numbers on your guns to see if they are stolen.

The Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers and any private citizen requesting this service. There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 1-800-432-5059.

<broken link removed>

Got the shotty from here. Don't want to name names. Just going to leave the trail ending at me. Yea he did tell me something about an 800 line to check for stolen guns. e probably has gone through a dozen hands before it got to me.

Looks like it's only for FFL's...

From the site....

The Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers and any private citizen requesting this service. There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 1-800-432-5059.

Good thread EVERYONE should read! If a seller is legit they will have NO PROBLEM giving the serial number and you can call before meeting up and coming to the purchase decision.

BTW...agreed GREAT site and community!

i would wonder a little bit that if he had such easy access why he didn't run the serial numbers before he handed over the cash. May be legit, but i would want proof and a talk with my own local leo before i gave any money back.

Got the shotty from here. Don't want to name names. Just going to leave the trail ending at me. Yea he did tell me something about an 800 line to check for stolen guns. e probably has gone through a dozen hands before it got to me.

You should name names! I doesn't mater how many hands it went through before you received the stolen property, that firearm was stolen from someone and they deserve to have their property back.

Question, you sold a stolen shotgun to another person and you don't feel like you should, at the very minimum, return their money? Because you have bills?

Just curios, Lefty.

so you are just taking his word for it or did you investigate yourself as well?

When buyer told you "firearm I just sold him seem to be stolen"

all the sudden he had hunch that firearm was stolen? :s0114: if he was worried, he would have checked it before purchasing it.

I feel scam as well.

Having a LEO in the family... I take gun checks very seriously. I usually spend a couple extra seconds and either text the SN or take a pic of the SN and have family or friend check for me as I am waiting.

LEOs are people. And just a little more careful not to buy before checking.

+1 to checking first! Good job educating the public!

Oh OP what ever you do... Make it up to the buyer... Payments... Trade?.... Its is the least you can do as your not going to jail....

I have heard of people in your exact situation end up in prison over the same day you had.

Glad your able to post this!
That would be very cool of you if you were to contact him and make things right.

Having a LEO in the family... I take gun checks very seriously. I usually spend a couple extra seconds and either text the SN or take a pic of the SN and have family or friend check for me as I am waiting.

LEOs are people. And just a little more careful not to buy before checking.

+1 to checking first! Good job educating the public!

Oh OP what ever you do... Make it up to the buyer... Payments... Trade?.... Its is the least you can do as your not going to jail....

I have heard of people in your exact situation end up in prison over the same day you had.

Glad your able to post this!
That would be very cool of you if you were to contact him and make things right.

Or you could just call your local SD and tell them you are getting ready to buy a firearm and want to make sure it's clean. If the seller has a problem with it, you should just walk away.

Lefty.

I buy and sell from classifieds online and offline, I was wanting to find out the phone number to check a firearm in Oregon? maybe someone can help me with that info? thanks yall. Safe shooting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top