JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not know how much info the buyer has furnished you with?

Has he "proven" himself to be a leo?

I would think if the guy is a LEO he would inform you with all information: His full name, Who he works for and Department.

If he will not furnish the info I would call your local law inforcement and tell them what is going on. If the guy is pullling a scam he is most likely a felon.

just say'n!

There 'should' be a receipt from the department for the shotgun being surrendered to it. Actual ownership may not be the original owner, what if it was insured and the insurance company payed out? It would belong to the ins. company.
I think the last buyer would have a bullet proof small claims suit against the last seller...pardon the pun.

There was a police report written. I'm waiting for the copy. The buyer understood the situation. We talked extensivly about the situation. He said no hard feelings. I'll make it back up to him somehow. Someday soon. He also assured me I wouldn't get into any trouble or anything. It was an honest mistake on both our parts. I knew i was going to get a little flamed for this. But I still would like people to know what happened and be careful on future purchases.

So, has anyone here actually used the Oregon sn check? If so, what was the procedure? Amount of time involved? Information gathered by Oregon?

I may start using it if it's convenient.

I just called the OSP FICS telephone line noted above to check out a pistol that I had recently bought through NorthwestFirearms. One of the main reasons that I had done a FTF was to be "off-book" rather than going through a FFL. However, the lady on the line asked my name, address, telephone number so does anyone know if I just gave away my advantage of no FFL/Form 4473 process? If so, then there is no benefit to a FTF if I later do a FICS check.

You can call 1-800-432-5059 and they will want to know where you are so if the firearm is stolen they know where to send the POLICE. One problem I see with that.... someone could call from a paid phone and if the gun is stolen they can just take off.

I just called the OSP FICS telephone line noted above to check out a pistol that I had recently bought through NorthwestFirearms. One of the main reasons that I had done a FTF was to be "off-book" rather than going through a FFL. However, the lady on the line asked my name, address, telephone number so does anyone know if I just gave away my advantage of no FFL/Form 4473 process? If so, then there is no benefit to a FTF if I later do a FICS check.

I would not think so, all they know is you looked up if this firearm "X" was stolen or not. They do not know if you are now the new owner or not.

One problem I see with that.... someone could call from a paid phone and if the gun is stolen they can just take off.

That would be awesome because then you could add eluding to the possession of a stolen firearm charges. As long as you're harboring stolen goods you might as well run from the cops at the same time. Just sayin'. If you're calling and the answer isn't the one you wanted you better be willing to surrender it. Otherwise maybe you just shouldn't call at all.

Hmmm.... One could always request sn prior to the viewing of said item. call it in... if stolen then you neither know the location of said firearm or the owner. If not stolen, make arrangements for the purchase.

Something stinks on this!! So called "LEO" is understanding? OK, but if you sold a stolen weapon knowingly or not wouldnt you be contacted by the authorities in the area gun was sold? The fact that the guy claims no harm no foul stinks!! I would think they would like to know where you got the gun also. Let us know when and if you get a police report. I would bet you never see one.

A couple yrs ago, I had an occasion to check a serial number with the OR State Police. Very polite lady took name, addy, etc and before I gave her the number, she informed me if it came back stolen she would have to "dispatch" police immediately. I said okay and gave her the number, held my breath, till she said it was not on the list. I even checked another I wondered about. Kind of TENSE, but that's how it works.

I would not think so, all they know is you looked up if this firearm "X" was stolen or not. They do not know if you are now the new owner or not.

No but you're now in their records and they'll come looking for you in the future if that gun ever does get stolen or they want to seize guns in general.

It's tough to check numbers, unless you have a friend who's a cop. I do, so every gun I purchase, I have him run the #'s for me first, but hey, glad you didn't get into trouble for something you had no clue about. They say posession is 9/10's of the law. I imagine intent is often a large contributor to who gets charged for what.

In Washington State, I don't believe they'll release that info to just anyone, my brother in law tried to check out a legal subgun he bought, and they refused to tell him it's status..... I had a friend run the #'s when I picked it up from him, at a 1/4 of what he originally paid, but jeez, you'd think that kind of info should be your right to know, if your're doing your best to abide the law....

I buy and sell from classifieds online and offline, I was wanting to find out the phone number to check a firearm in Oregon? maybe someone can help me with that info? thanks yall. Safe shooting.

call your local dispatch non emergency line, i know ours by heart as i call them everytime i buy a gun and there super cool about checking right then with ya and letting u know. they would rather get stolen guns off the street so there gonna check right then.

I would have given the guy his money back.

Agreed, but he also should have checked before money exchanges hands.

Something stinks on this!! So called "LEO" is understanding? OK, but if you sold a stolen weapon knowingly or not wouldnt you be contacted by the authorities in the area gun was sold? The fact that the guy claims no harm no foul stinks!! I would think they would like to know where you got the gun also. Let us know when and if you get a police report. I would bet you never see one.

Not necessarily...a friend of mine recently bought an SLR (.223 AK variant). Police tracked the gun who contacted the friend who ended up having it. A patrol officer ended up confiscating the rifle (as it was stolen) and returned it to the true owner of the gun that reported it stolen. No police report or anything to my friend...it's kinda like getting counterfeit money from the ATM machine. If you knowingly pass it off to the next guy you've committed a crime...if you turn it over you're out the money.

So, you're kinda screwed either way.

I just called to check out couple of guns and the process was real easy. I couldn't get the website to work because I don't have an ffl number. My dad was pissed that I didn't check because he didn't want to see me mixed up with any police or whatever. I have a stupid question for you guys, so we all know that the number to call to check for stolen guns is only for stolen guns. My question is, what happens if you purchase a gun that was involved in a crime scene? ie. robbery, murder or anything like that? Some times I get so damn excited to purchase a gun without asking the history of it. I mean there's a lot of shady folks everywhere and just curious what happens? I asked the sd about this and they just said that they are only able to check a gun if its stolen or not but not anything else. I am just paranoid of purchasing a gun that had committed some kind of crime. I dont want to be put into jail because I had it in my possession. Any comments would be great and please dont flame me. I am still very new to guns. Thanks everyone

We cannot know how the "leo" processed his inquiry, but if he did it on his own, for a personal purchase, then there may be an ethics issue and/or LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System) violation. To be in compliance with his obligations and ethics as a law enforcement officer, he CANNOT use LEDS for personal interest. He could certainly ask a fellow cop to do the check, submitting himself to that fellow cop just as a regular citizen would.

(Yes, we all know cops access LEDS and NCIC-the national database-on a regular basis for personal interests, "fishing", and other inquiries that do not strictly adhere to the legal parameters involved with such acceess.) But, when discovered and documented (which is not very difficult), such violations are taken very seriously, often to a result of the end of a career.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top