JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
call your local dispatch non emergency line, i know ours by heart as i call them everytime i buy a gun and there super cool about checking right then with ya and letting u know. they would rather get stolen guns off the street so there gonna check right then.
Exactly what I do. I've only not done it once on a rifle I bought from a NWF forum member because the original sales receipt was in the box. If a seller doesn't want to give up the SN, just walk away.

Inviting the man into your life is a bad move.

Seems silly to me to give name and location just to check a sn. I won't willingly register my guns ever again and giving name and address is a step toward that.

What website is this you speak of?

I just called to check out couple of guns and the process was real easy. I couldn't get the website to work because I don't have an ffl number. My dad was pissed that I didn't check because he didn't want to see me mixed up with any police or whatever. I have a stupid question for you guys, so we all know that the number to call to check for stolen guns is only for stolen guns. My question is, what happens if you purchase a gun that was involved in a crime scene? ie. robbery, murder or anything like that? Some times I get so damn excited to purchase a gun without asking the history of it. I mean there's a lot of shady folks everywhere and just curious what happens? I asked the sd about this and they just said that they are only able to check a gun if its stolen or not but not anything else. I am just paranoid of purchasing a gun that had committed some kind of crime. I dont want to be put into jail because I had it in my possession. Any comments would be great and please dont flame me. I am still very new to guns. Thanks everyone

A couple yrs ago, I had an occasion to check a serial number with the OR State Police. Very polite lady took name, addy, etc and before I gave her the number, she informed me if it came back stolen she would have to "dispatch" police immediately. I said okay and gave her the number, held my breath, till she said it was not on the list. I even checked another I wondered about. Kind of TENSE, but that's how it works.

That part always makes me nervious. So I buy the gun... I'ts mine, and I"m out the money. If I don't buy it, and Owner does not allow it to be ran.. I'm S.O.L.....

A scammer/theif could be on either end of a sale. There is no need to go giving out serial numbers to people who respond to an ad. If I am selling a gun you can call in to check when we meet up for you to inspect the gun. You can even use my cell phone. Otherwise I'm not going to give out lists of serial numbers or any other personal information to 'potential' buyers. What if you decide you don't want it? I don't want ten people calling in the same serial number in a matter of days. I don't trust that not to cause some kind of flag. I have called some in myself to check but not always. Even when I do it really doesn't do a buyer any good. They would still have to trust my word. Call it in when you have the gun in your hands and can read off the make/model/serial to the call taker.

If you are too worried just buy new... from a licensed dealer. They need to make a living too. :)

*****Update*****
So I got a copy of the report last month. Yep everything seemed to check out. Still a little scary to see my name on a report. Lol... came with a copy of the original police report. Still blows my mind how it ended up here. If an really wants me to post them up, I can. Just like this comment enough and I will.

I just called to see how it works, they want to know Name, address, phone number, and SN. Once they found out I lived in WA they wouldn't check the SN for me...told me to call my local PD. Not overly impressed as I only want to be a good citizen and make sure I'm not buying stolen goods, not get in some database with my Name, Location, and SN.

i would have given the guy his money back. i would say sorry you took a loss on the deal but you stated you were not going to give the guy his money back because you were short on funds. what comes around goes around.

im surprised your not going to give up the seller, post his name, address, cp/dl number, and a copy of the signed bill of sale. people wonder why i tell them to GFY when they want all my info a ftf shotty sale. see my thread on full doc ftf transactions in the gen firearms diss.

shame on who ever suggested the op should out who he got the firearm from on this board, and no it wasnt me.

I am still asking the question: if I call the FICS number to do a serial number check, does anyone know what they do with the information when I give my name, address, telephone number, model and serial number? Do they retain that information in their data base? Have I given up the advantage of a private purchase and avoiding the Form 4473?

When you call for this service, do they ask for YOUR name, YOUR address, and YOUR phone number? Or do they just want A name, AN Address, and A Phone number? Seriously, why couldn't you just use the service with an address that matches the payphone you are calling from, and a name of somebody else?

Back when I lived in PDX, I called in a check via payphone to the Oregon State Police They wanted my name and physical address where the gun was located. I told them I'm a concerned citizen or I wouldn't be calling. If they wanted all my personal info then I guess I'd forget about it. They actually ran it but I'm sure things could've gone the other way depending on who happened to answer the phone that day.

Unless the firearm in question was "involved" in a crime, and had also been in police custody (as evidence from the crime scene, and later stolen from police custody, or sold at a police auction, there would really be no way to know its history.

My question is, what happens if you purchase a gun that was involved in a crime scene? ie. robbery, murder or anything like that? Some times I get so damn excited to purchase a gun without asking the history of it. I mean there's a lot of shady folks everywhere and just curious what happens? I asked the sd about this and they just said that they are only able to check a gun if its stolen or not but not anything else. I am just paranoid of purchasing a gun that had committed some kind of crime. I dont want to be put into jail because I had it in my possession. Any comments would be great and please dont flame me. I am still very new to guns. Thanks everyone

Fortunately, guns don't commit crimes; people do. If you bought a gun used in a murder and that gun later came into the possession of law enforcement you'd have some explaining to do. There is about zero chance of knowing if a gun you bought was involved in some other type of crime via a serial number check or ATF trace. The odds of buying a firearm used in a violent crime are probably fairly low. People who do dispose of such firearms do so in a way that makes certain nobody ever sees the gun again, or pass it off to someone in their social circle. So probably not a social circle people on this forum run with.

So does anyone know what the number is for WA? Is there a National number you can call? My friend is convinced they wont tell you whether its stolen or not. He says you have to bring them into the police station to find out. I dont see why they wouldnt just tell you its stolen that way you dont buy a stolen firearm. Walking into a police station with a firearm would be crazy to me let alone if its possible stolen. It could be considered possesion of stolen property and they dont play with that, a friend of mine had that happen and ended up paying over 5000 in legel expenses and he had no clue it was stolen til police were at his door. Crazy stuff

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top