JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just called the local Police Dept non-emergency # here in Oregon to check if a Remington bolt-action single-shot .22 I purchased private-party was clear of the stolen firearms list. The dispatcher was actually kind of rude. They asked for my full name, address, contact number, serial number of the rifle, -then didn't immediately tell me if the rifle was clear! The dispatcher said I will either receive a call back from an officer telling me it is clear or -get this- :eek: a personal visit to my house to pick up the gun if it comes back stolen! I won't know until the other shoe drops!

Like a noob, I gave them all my info then waited for a call back. Nothing. After 15 minutes, I kept reading this thread then saw someone listed the direct firearms check number: 503-585-6245.

Just called that number and got a totally different experience. They didn't even ask for all the personal info and just asked me the model of the gun and serial number. A few seconds later the agent told me the rifle was clear and provided me a transaction ID number which I wrote down.

I dunno, just based on my own personal experience today, I don't recommend anyone calling the local PD unless you have a friend on the force to cut through the B.S. or enjoy being treated with suspicion by the police.

Update: I just received a call back from the police officer charged with looking up the serial number 25 minutes after my inquiry -enough time to write you this thread of my uncomfortable experience.

Just called the local Police Dept non-emergency # here in Oregon to check if a Remington bolt-action single-shot .22 I purchased private-party was clear of the stolen firearms list. The dispatcher was actually kind of rude. They asked for my full name, address, contact number, serial number of the rifle, -then didn't immediately tell me if the rifle was clear! The dispatcher said I will either receive a call back from an officer telling me it is clear or -get this- :eek: a personal visit to my house to pick up the gun if it comes back stolen! I won't know until the other shoe drops!

Like a noob, I gave them all my info then waited for a call back. Nothing. After 15 minutes, I kept reading this thread then saw someone listed the direct firearms check number: 503-585-6245.

Just called that number and got a totally different experience. They didn't even ask for all the personal info and just asked me the model of the gun and serial number. A few seconds later the agent told me the rifle was clear and provided me a transaction ID number which I wrote down.

I dunno, just based on my own personal experience today, I don't recommend anyone calling the local PD unless you have a friend on the force to cut through the B.S. or enjoy being treated with suspicion by the police.

Update: I just received a call back from the police officer charged with looking up the serial number 25 minutes after my inquiry -enough time to write you this thread of my uncomfortable experience.

I cannot speak for your 911 center, in dealing with stolen firearms there has to be a chain of information on the dispatchers side. If they run a gun and it comes back stolen, the agency holding the record is notified that someone has run the serial number they are looking for. If they do not get a call and the proper paperwork associated with the query, they then call the agency that ran the firearm to find out what's going on. If the dispatcher ran it for personal reasons they risk losing their certification to access the databases that hold it and their job. So, to combat this different agencies have different policy on how they deal with these requests. Some agencies won't even run them, some will, some will, but they will treat it like a case and have an officer follow up on it. After all if it is stolen, that is who is going to handle it anyway.

Also, the dispatch facility has to worry about liability. If you're in a parking lot buying the firearm and it turns out it's stolen, suddenly your life could be in danger and in our litigious society they could be seen as the reason for this. If you end up dead, you can only imagine what some people may do.

Again, I am not speaking for your center, I am not trying to justify how you were treated, because there is never a cause to be rude. I am just trying to give you the "other side" point of view and maybe help you understand a bit about. If the OSP FICS number was a better experience I recommend using them, whatever cuts down on stress in someone's life.

Whoa!

Hello fellow forums members. Thought I 'd share something that happened to me yesterday. First let me say. I love these forums. The stories, the classifieds. I met some cool people from this place. So yesterday I finally sold my Winchester 1200.(yay) We met up, done the deal, chatted for a second, told me he was just going to use it for a fun gun, and went on our way.

I'm sitting at home when I get a text from the buyer. He calls and tells me that the firearm I just sold him seem to be stolen! WHAT! He also told me he was a local leo and that he was running it to make sure it wasn't. But surprise surpise! He then told me that he found out that it came from nebraska and was stolen in 1985. Well i was born in 84 so I couldn't of done it. He got in touch with origonal owners and told him he recovered their shotgun. I apologized for everything and told me, it wasnt my fault. How was i suppose to know unless i looked up serial numbers. We did nothing wrong. Private sales are private sales. These things happen sometimes.

How did he know WHO you were?? Or your phone #
Heck that sucks. But the origonal owners was quite happy and they were going to give it to their son.

So all in all. Everything worked out kind of. Except for our poor friend "the leo". And another thing I wonder. The story of the gun. Where it has been and how many owners. 27 years is a long time. And the chances of it actually being found was slim. Lesson... who knows? Check numbers? Sure if you can.

If thats not a little crazy. I don't know what is.

I used to be a firearms inspector at Cabela's a few years ago, and one day in come the OSP, it seems Cabela's had bought a stolen firearm and they turned it over to OSP. We did hear word from the owner he was glad to get his pistol back. I think it was a .22 in case your wondering.

so you are just taking his word for it or did you investigate yourself as well?
When buyer told you "firearm I just sold him seem to be stolen"
all the sudden he had hunch that firearm was stolen? :s0114: if he was worried, he would have checked it before purchasing it.

I feel scam as well.

It's entirely possible that due to his profession, he may be going above and beyond in order to make sure that any weapon he touches is clean.

Run the scenario in your head if he doesn't check. That's, sadly, the type of detail that could come out later.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top