JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know of any good books on this subject?

I would like to suggest a few:

1. Good fiction story; "One Second After".

2. "When all H... Breaks Loose" (Stuff you need to survive when disaster strikes).

3. "Crisis Preparedness Handbook" (Home storage and physical survival).

Build the Perfect Survival Kit by John D McCann

When All **** Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin

98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive by Cody Lundin

All of Tom Browns Field Guides

US Army field manuals FM-21-76 FM 31-200

Emergency Preparedness A Practical Common-sense Guide by Evan Gabrielsen

I picked up the SAS survival and SAS urban survival guides. Pretty good reading so far. Seems like it's mostly common sense items discussed. I haven't had much time to delve deep into it and see how practical they are. There are a ton of pictures and info in them though.

I picked up the SAS survival and SAS urban survival guides. Pretty good reading so far. Seems like it's mostly common sense items discussed. I haven't had much time to delve deep into it and see how practical they are. There are a ton of pictures and info in them though.

+1 from me on the SAS Survival Handbook. I have the full size copy and it covers everything from NBC attacks to how to get along in the wild if your stranded in a survival situation. They made a pocket guide as well, but I think the full size copy is more comprehesive. I havent read the SAS Urban Survival one yet, but Im sure its good as well.

I would also reccomend the FoxFire series as well, they cover everything you need to know about full on living in the wild.

US Army Survival Handbook (Very similar to the SAS book, very good)
Practical Outdoor Survival
Wilderness Survival Second Edition

+1 from me on the SAS Survival Handbook. I have the full size copy and it covers everything from NBC attacks to how to get along in the wild if your stranded in a survival situation. They made a pocket guide as well, but I think the full size copy is more comprehesive. I havent read the SAS Urban Survival one yet, but Im sure its good as well.

I would also reccomend the FoxFire series as well, they cover everything you need to know about full on living in the wild.

US Army Survival Handbook (Very similar to the SAS book, very good)
Practical Outdoor Survival
Wilderness Survival Second Edition

Would these be entertaining to those of us that like the fiction books?

I have heard several people say the SAS book is great, but I don't relish the idea of reading a "handbook"

The title makes me want to fall asleep.:s0114::s0114:

These books I listed arent fictional stories, they are basically all about survival tactics and methods with brief descriptions and pictures. Not in story form. Handbook describes them well, but it will keep you on the edge of your seat............if your a dork like me.

These books I listed arent fictional stories, they are basically all about survival tactics and methods with brief descriptions and pictures. Not in story form. Handbook describes them well, but it will keep you on the edge of your seat............if your a dork like me.

Hmmmm...............learning.............

I'll give it a try.:s0114:

I'll ad it to my To-Buy list. Would you put that book at the top of your non-fiction list?

I bought 2 new survival fiction books recommended in the Survival Forum on ARFCOM.

"The Road" and "The Last Centurian"

The top of my non-fiction list is by far the FireFox series. SAS Survival Handbook would be pretty close to the top also though. If you havent read the FireFox books, you should. It'll change the way you look at life. It is the most comprehensive set of information on the subject of living in the wildnerness that Ive seen yet. It talks about building your own log cabin, to tanning deer hides with deer brains, to making the most out of cooking over an open fire. Definately worth having and reading.

I bought 2 new survival fiction books recommended in the Survival Forum on ARFCOM.

"The Road" and "The Last Centurian"

I enjoyed "The Road" (having been somewhat familiar with the author) but man, it was dark

IMO, "Patriots" is the best piece of non-fiction fiction in the bunch. The story is compelling enough (makes the propeller on my tinfoil hat SPIN!!!) but the info he packs into it is interesting and valuable.

I enjoyed "The Road" (having been somewhat familiar with the author) but man, it was dark

IMO, "Patriots" is the best piece of non-fiction fiction in the bunch. The story is compelling enough (makes the propeller on my tinfoil hat SPIN!!!) but the info he packs into it is interesting and valuable.

I'm 1/3rd of the way through "Patriots"

Awesome novel.

I agree, I found "Patriots" to be an interesting enough story that made the problem solving and detail after detail, paletable. I am reading the "Crisis Preparedness Handbook" now and am trying to slog my way through it. 75% of it seems like just plain common knowledge and common sense, so not learning much from it. Suppose it will be time well spent if I learn 25% of new info, but man, it's a boring read. Still think "One Second After" is the best so far for a fiction read!

+1 for Deep Survival. Another similiar book is Bone Games, by Rob Schultheis.

Touching the Void by Joe simpson is a classic

+1 for The Road, it's a good time if you like crying. It's an especially great read if you've got kids about the same age as the guy's son.

Going through old posts to see what's still interesting and I found this one and thought I'd add to it.

Fiction:

Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling; basic premise is that all advanced energy tech stops working. People revert to clans, cannibalism, gangs, old religions etc. After the first three books becomes more spiritual in nature but still very good.

Non-Fiction:

USAF survival manual; deals with escape and evasion etc issues in addition to regular "survival" priorities.

And I Alone Survived, Lauren Elder. Lone survivor of a plane crash in the mountains

Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors Piers Paul Read. Classic rugby team eat mates to survive.

"Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook" by James Talmage Stevens. Excellent if you are just getting started. Helps you figure out what to do and what you need.

Sod

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads