JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just finished "Lights Out". It's a fictional account of events after an unknown EMP burst fries all the electronics in the US and later Europe. It's floating around in .pdf format but I believe a book is now available. Easy read, makes you wonder and is also entertaining w/ a fair amount of action and guntalk.

Where There is No Doctor; in a true shtf situation (long term dislocation) things will resemble the third world. This is a good book for that.

(The Road is great, but it's not a novel about survival - the world is over, it no longer supports life and the life that's left is in the process of eating itself - so there is no survival. It's a novel about love. Which is weird for McCarthy given many of his novels are about evil, and how useless it is to fight it. But he wrote The Road after having a son - no coincidence there.)

Am reading a great book by Margaret Atwood called The Year of the Flood. (Anchor Books). Highly recommended! The story is about a TEOTWAWKI scenario in the near future. Atwood's a very good writer and a satirist, so this book is speculative fiction - a story rather than a how-to-do-it disguised as a novel (Patriots). I won't get into the plot but was surprised that a lefty feminist like Atwood was so pro-gun (namely an old Ruger 44/99 Deerfield). In the novel's world, a conglomerate called CorpSeCorp rules the world, and effectuates the big gun-grab.
This jibes with my belief that our own gun grab will happen compliments of the Tea Party during the second Palin administration.

I recommend The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse by Fernando "FerFAL" Aguirre, which is endorsed by Matthew Bracken, author of the Enemies trilogy, and at odds with James Wesley Rawles's Patriots Surviving the Coming Collapse.

+1

Practical information/advice that is applicable to a variety of scenarios. Far and away the best "realistic" survival book out there in my opinion. Aguirre's book, plus Holy Deyo's "Dare to Prepare" are my two main "textbooks."

"Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook" by James Talmage Stevens. Excellent if you are just getting started. Helps you figure out what to do and what you need.

Best preparedness book I've found. It's like a coffee table reference to all thing prepared.

I would like to suggest a few:

1. Good fiction story; "One Second After".

2. "When all H... Breaks Loose" (Stuff you need to survive when disaster strikes).

3. "Crisis Preparedness Handbook" (Home storage and physical survival).[/QUOTE]

First i know the book is a fictional book, but I beleive it is a good example of the mentality of non-preppers or at least the ones I have come across.

I am just over 1/2 way the the book One Second After, and am amazed at when SHTF, everyone who had stuff before now have nothing now.

ex...Nice cars don't work because of the EMP, they still have their big house and such, taking the kids to the mall and pissing away money a lot now wortheless.

And theres the guy who prepared or stocked up instead of putting away and was living simpler life.

Not the town council talks about the collective good, collective good where was the collective good before the EMP??? How often did they take the farmer out to eat at an expensive restaraunt or treat them to a cruise, or a weekend tripo to the beach???

Those that have lots now will not give their nice thing to feed others or share their expensive wine, beer, coffee's or cavier to share with the less fortunate, but let something like this happen they start thinking about how they use the collective good system under the pretense of what is best for everyone, so that they can see to their own survival and that of their families. More reason to be prepared to hold onto what you have.

This book (take note the situation was written and reviewed by some very knowledgeable people), although fictional is also a predicition (as noted by Newt Gingrich in the forward) of something that he believes will happen.

I would recommend Unthinkable. It has been making the rounds where I work and is a great way to start understanding how and why people act the way they do during disasters. While it's not instructive, it's more of an overview done through case study and really shines a light on why different people react the way they do. The author does get a bit "Kumbaya." I feel sometimes she lets an overly positive attitude take over, but over all it's a great book.

One Second After and Patriots, were both good reads with good nuggets of info, you can build a full library of technical how too's on every thing from
gardening and raising livestock to emergency medical, alternate fuels, foraging, it never ends. Skills are the most valuable investment you can make.
You can down load Where there is no Dr. or Where there is no dentist also Army Field manuals.

Yeah I picked up a nurses guide to medications at a used book store very informative, you never know when in an emergency situation you may need it, I am slowly building a library of these kinds of books, reading them as I get them. Except for the meds book, I did familarize myself with it and the major anti biotics just in case.

OK I am pretty savy when it omes to mehanical things, so I am wandering. has anyone come across any good books on home make hydro power systems like small enoguh to juice a house. Or making a wind power system out of stare parts??

Great trilogy "fiction" with a very plausible story line is "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matthew Bracken (SP?).

Also, Molon Labe is another neat fictional piece.

I read Patriots and One second after, have read most everything there is on the subject.

The thing I enjoy about the fictional books is they are entertaining while at the same time bring up some excellent things that I may have overlooked while prepping.

Well after reading a lot stuff on here with different opinions and suggestions I decided to put together my own little library buy a few books every months or so. I still want to get the foxfire books but here is what I put together the last few months, and am trying to get them read.

"" List did not come through right, i will repost it""

I thought Patriots was an interesting read I couldn't put the book down I'm starting Survivors next week. SAS was my Christmas present to people last year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top