JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I was checking out this section and did not see a dedicated booklist on Preparedness / Survival.
There a few random threads on various books and reads but no list.
The books I am thinking of are nonfiction , more of a how to guide , not a novel.
Here are a few that I own. Please add yours
Military manuals :
FM 21-26 Survival
FM 21-11 First Aid For Soldiers
FM 90-10-1 An Infantryman's Guide To Urban Combat
FM 90-5 Jungle Operations
FM 31-72 Mountain Operations
FM21-75 Combat Training Of The Individual Soldier And Patrolling
TC 21-3 Soldier's handbook For Individual Operations And Survival In Cold-Weather Areas
SH 21-76 Ranger Handbook
All of these "followed me home" after my service in the Army , But you can buy these online , at shows etc ...
The Boyscout Fieldbook
The Foxfire series
Camping and woodcraft by Horace Kephart
Jack-Knife Cookery by James Austin Wilder
Camp and Trail Methods by E. Kreps
Camp & Trail
The Mountains
The Forest
The above 3 are by Stewart Edward White

Looking forward to leaning about more titles ...
Andy

Last Edited:
Start from the essentials:

The SAS Survival Handbook / Guide by John "Lofty" Wiseman

<broken link removed>

I recommend at least 3 copies: 1 in your bugout bag, one at home, one in your car. It's small and very portable. Cheapest emergency insurance policy you can buy.

All the prep supplies in the world won't help you if you die at the first SHTF. Lofty's guide is the best first response reference I've seen.

The Foxfire series
Love the Foxfire books! At lest the few I've read.

Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger
I Highly recommend this book, it's really great.

Wilderness Evasion: A Guide To Hiding Out and Eluding Pursuit in Remote Areas by <broken link removed>
I'm sure there are much better books out there, but an interesting read none the less.

Wilderness Survival by Gregory Davenport
While not as extensive as the guide from John Wiseman it's still a good book.

The Traditional Bowyer's Bible by... well, a lot of people

Honestly, my "book list" is pretty short. There really are few books that are general enough to cover all of the knowledge you'll need, but specific enough not to contain a lot of absolutely pointless weight.

For this reason, I keep it down to "4" books...

#1 book is one you can't buy anywhere, it's a pocket journal I write stuff down in that I learned. I keep meaning to one day convert it to something digital and print out copies of it, but there are diagrams that would take a while to convert.

#2 "Where there is no doctor" I can't speak loudly enough for this book, because in the PAW this is going to be the definition of existence, unless you have a family member who is a doctor.

#3 is the "Pocket Ref" for engineers and scientists. It may sound 'tarded but if you're doing something like re-engineering a water system and need to know how much pressure you will generate at the bottom. It's absolutely invaluable.

#4 is the CRC handbook, again, this is a reference book that describes millions of chemicals, formulas, processes, etc. If you're going to re-create the advanced world it's going to help a lot.

DSC06261.jpg
Libertas7,
I also have and love The Traditional Bowyer's Bible series all 4 are excellent reads.

AMProducts,
I like your idea of writing your own book , taking what you like and learn and putting it down.
As to only four books , that would be difficult for me, too much of a book lover. LOL.
Here is a pic of part of my library.
Andy

Last Edited:
View attachment 287735
Libertas7,
I also have and love The Traditional Bowyer's Bible series all 4 are excellent reads.

AMProducts,
I like your idea of writing your own book , taking what you like and learn and putting it down.
As to only four books , that would be difficult for me, too much of a book lover. LOL.
Andy

My wife is the book fiend in the family, I'm a serious collector of technical books from the 40's through the 80's, back when they used to have serious stuff in these books. So if you want to know how to rebuild the electrical grid... However, there's a serious need for volume reduction. Having a fully featured library at your bugout cabin or bunker is a laudable goal, however bugging out with a full volumes of the encyclopedia britanica seems self defeating.

Really though... notebooks. They're seriously important. Despite my near photographic memory, there's important things my brain classifies as junk and it becomes either unaccesable, or hard to properly recall. Writing things down often really help.

Who's talking about bugging out ?
I just love to read and collect books.
The point of my original post was to list some of my books and see what others are reading or recommend.
Having many different books on the same subject can give you a broad range of ideas to work with.
Comparing and contrasting different outlooks and perspectives is enjoyable to me.
Which I can do if I have a variety of different books on a given subject.
If I had to leave , as much as I like books , well it would be a drag to leave them behind.
But for now I will keep collecting and reading what interests me ...
Andy

Last Edited:
Libertas7,
Well you can't collect 'em all ... LOL
My main interests are U.S. fur Trade history , Roman / Anglo-Saxon Britain and "classic" Science Fiction and Fantasy writers.
'Course reading one book often leads to reading another , even if its only somewhat related to ones main interest , so there is plenty to choose from on my shelves.
At last count I had over 1000 books.
To para-phrase Chief Brody from "Jaws" , "I'm gonna need a bigger room." LOL
Andy

I have:

The Forager's Harvest
Complete Book of Home Preserving
A USMC Battle Skills Training handbook and a Close Combat book
Reader's Digest Family Health Guide & Medical Encyclopedia
The Survival Medicine Handbook
FoxFire 1&2
The Trapper's Bible
Emergency War Surgery (US Army)
SAS Survival Handbook (as mentioned above)
Edible Wild Plants
A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing and Smoking Meat, Fish & Game (very good)
Back to Basics (Reader's Digest and also VERY good)
and several other canning and gardening books

I also have 2 binders of stuff I have collected off of the internet.

Don't forget owner's manuals (and shop manuals or schematics or...) for all your stuff. Almost everything is online these days, just google for it. I have a place on my computer where I have downloaded most of the manuals I need.

View attachment 287735
Libertas7,

AMProducts,
Andy
Your library looks like mine
I've been a life-long reader, and the only time I ever really relied on electronic versions of books was while I was deployed overseas.
Yes a good chunk of my prep library consists of e books, but I'm slowly building up paper copies of books in the genre that interest me.
Coincidentally our semi-annual community library book sale kicked off yesterday, which is my main source for most of my physical used books at decent prices.

Love a good library book sale , you never know what will turn up.
E books are excellent for traveling or for free downloads of rare and out of print.
But nothing beats a hard copy or that old book smell ... LOL
Andy

So I was checking out this section and did not see a dedicated booklist on Preparedness / Survival.
There a few random threads on various books and reads but no list.
The books I am thinking of are nonfiction , more of a how to guide , not a novel.
Here are a few that I own. Please add yours
Military manuals :
FM 21-26 Survival
FM 21-11 First Aid For Soldiers
FM 90-10-1 An Infantryman's Guide To Urban Combat
FM 90-5 Jungle Operations
FM 31-72 Mountain Operations
FM21-75 Combat Training Of The Individual Soldier And Patrolling
TC 21-3 Soldier's handbook For Individual Operations And Survival In Cold-Weather Areas
SH 21-76 Ranger Handbook
All of these "followed me home" after my service in the Army , But you can buy these online , at shows etc ...
The Boyscout Fieldbook
The Foxfire series
Camping and woodcraft by Horace Kephart
Jack-Knife Cookery by James Austin Wilder
Camp and Trail Methods by E. Kreps
Camp & Trail
The Mountains
The Forest
The above 3 are by Stewart Edward White

Looking forward to leaning about more titles ...
Andy

Ummmm, I think you forgot "Improvised Muenishuns", or maybe you didn't, on purpose....<grin>

Brutus Out

Brutus57,
I had a copy of Improvised Munitions , but a guy named Lt. Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith and his friends borrowed it a while ago ... LOL

I'll have to check that one out IheartSig , thanks.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads