JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's great, you made some calls. You've already done your part and then some. Once the guns were stolen they were already in the hands of criminals. It's not like BPD recovered them, let the thieves off, and then left your guns on a bus bench somewhere. If what you're saying about them refusing to let them retain "stolen" status is accurate as you tell the story, that's messed up. But I maintain that you're getting really worked up about something beyond your control and making some pretty strong accusations in the process.
I guess you could become one of those common sense warriors that helped get Oregon and Washington those wonderful California-esque laws we all love.
You have the right to be frustrated but none of this is going to reunite you with your property.
The whole point is that criminals are getting away Scott-free!

BPD is allowing stolen guns to be sold without impunity. A stolen gun should stay in the FBI/ATF data base until its recovered not because some local entity decides that they don't want to file paper work to keep it in that data base.
So if I understand you correctly, a local (city) police department is actively willing and able to remove a "stolen" status from federal (FBI/ATF) database?
You say your whole point is that criminals are getting away scott free. I don't want to see that anymore than you do. But the fact remains that they didn't get caught in the commission of the original crime. If they never sell the guns they probably never will. Even if the guns change hands a hundred times and no one runs the numbers it doesn't matter what the official status is, the thieves won't get caught. Sometimes bad guys get away with crimes.
What solution do you suggest?

The best solution is to leave the guns listed as stolen when ran. Unless they are returned to the proper owner, they should stay on the hot list.

So if I understand you correctly, a local (city) police department is actively willing and able to remove a "stolen" status from federal (FBI/ATF) database?
You say your whole point is that criminals are getting away scott free. I don't want to see that anymore than you do. But the fact remains that they didn't get caught in the commission of the original crime. If they never sell the guns they probably never will. Even if the guns change hands a hundred times and no one runs the numbers it doesn't matter what the official status is, the thieves won't get caught. Sometimes bad guys get away with crimes.
In Oregon and Washington it is a crime if you are doing a private sale of a firearm, you must have a background "NIX" check done on the person you are selling to. So, if BPD would do the right thing and keep them on the stolen gun list it would flag as a stolen gun.

The best solution is to leave the guns listed as stolen when ran. Unless they are returned to the proper owner, they should stay on the hot list.

And the answer to your first question is yes. Contact BPD at 208-570-6012 and talke to the person who runs the stolen property department.

Man, if I didn't know better I'd think this thread was a pro-registration troll. Guess I stepped right in it, didn't I?

The police should not have any relationship with the insurance company, the fact the gun owner was compensated is inconsequential.

What if the guns have sentimental value? If a piece of personal property is stolen and the cops recover it, and it is identifiable as stolen and the cops have it on record the item was stolen and from who, then the owner should be contacted and the property should be returned. No further consideration PERIOD.

I would go to the local news media and talk it over. They might laugh you outa the building or they may be interested.

My son is right now in that position with a stolen gun. He lived in Seattle 3 yrs ago and he was robbed and one of his guns was stolen. 2 yrs later cops recovered it from known thieves. I do not know if his insurance paid him for it or not but the cops are getting it back to him. He is having some issues due to he lives in Michigan now, so ether I am going to pick it up or the cops might ship it to him. Final details are not decided but what is decided is he is getting it back, this was never in question and the Seattle cops did not try and pull some BS excuse to rationalize not returning it.

I think the crux of the issue is that particular police department has this policy so they can profit from stolen property/guns by selling them and not informing the owner of record the property has been recovered. Catch crooks with a stash of stolen property and looky here this gun is not listed as stolen, we can auction it off along with all this other stuff that was recovered.

This is the point I would make while talking to the media about it, though I think I would try and arrange a meeting with the police chief first and voice my concerns with this policy.

This is not a motor vehicle, the insurance company has no legal claim on it, they are not the leanholder of a gun after they pay the owner for the loss of it like they would be if your car was stolen.

I am going to discuss this subject with my insurance gal some time soon to see what their official policy is if something like this occurred. Does the insurance company have a legal claim on the property they pay a claim on? In what case? under what circumstances? Vehicle? Land/home with a title? Gun? a $20,000 diamond ring? not that I would ever be caught dead with one of those....

~

I kind of understand what @notazombie is getting at.

I also understand the op' s problem.

I'll second the advice to speak with the chief first.
Media should be the very last resort though were it me, would not be an option.
Point is, I haven't seen legislation in my lifetime that gave us more liberty. In fact, it almost always means less liberty.

In my mind, I feel you're pushing for the same gun control we're desperately fighting to avoid. It isn't the guns out there that are committing the crimes. I'd like to see a push for more funding to prosecute and penalize violators, any day, over some additional laws that criminals will ignore anyway. We need to make the punishment occur sooner and make it hurt immediately. It shouldn't matter that a gun, knife, pipe wrench, or rock was used to commit the crime. I don't mean to offend you, just stating my opinion about your issue you've brought before us here.

In my mind, I feel you're pushing for the same gun control we're desperately fighting to avoid. It isn't the guns out there that are committing the crimes. I'd like to see a push for more funding to prosecute and penalize violators, any day, over some additional laws that criminals will ignore anyway. We need to make the punishment occur sooner and make it hurt immediately. It shouldn't matter that a gun, knife, pipe wrench, or rock was used to commit the crime. I don't mean to offend you, just stating my opinion about your issue you've brought before us here.

I AM NOT!!!! PUSHING FOR ANY GUN CONTROL!!!!!......Except for the BPD to CONTROL the list of guns that were stolen and keep them on the FBI/ATF list of stolen guns!!!

I am really beginning to think some people here are not using the round thing on there shoulders here!

HOW CAN I MAKE THIS ANY CLEARER????

My guns were never recovered!......BPD just decided to remove them from the "Stolen Guns" list becaused the insurance company paid the claim..........They will also removed guns from the list if you don't contact them once a year. HOW ABSOLUTELY RIDICULES IS THAT!

That is BS! Several friends of mine have received there guns back over long periods of time. Some between three and eight years. They Never received insurance money[non taxable funds] so the cases stayed on the books.

The biggest problem people have is not being able to produce serial numbers after the loss.

That is BS! Several friends of mine have received there guns back over long periods of time. Some between three and eight years. They Never received insurance money[non taxable funds] so the cases stayed on the books.

The biggest problem people have is not being able to produce serial numbers after the loss.

I am assuming that you are saying that BPD is the BS part of this, not my issue with this?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads