JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had 2 firearms and equipment stolen in 2006. I have been calling periodically to see if they have been recovered or have any updates. Recently my email was hacked and had to switch over to another email system, during this time BPD had tried to contact me and were unable to because of the change in email servers. So they took the 2 firearms off the list and now they show as "NOT STOLEN" when you run the model numbers. When I pushed to have them re-entered into the stolen firearm data to base they said "Upon further checking" they have told me that the insurance company paid me for them therefore if they were to be recovered it would be their property. FINE! NO PROBLEM! I understand that, I have been compensated and understand completely. Well, since the insurance company closed the file and I had been compensated BPD is using the excuse that if the insurance company closed the file there is no reason that BPD needs to keep them on the list of stolen guns. When I was told this I was completely confused. Just because the insurance company dosen't have an open case the are returning all stolen firearms back to "Sellable" status!

This is so frustrating I about lost it talking to BPD on the phone! I asked "So you are saying that if the insurance company has compensated the individual who had the firearms stolen and the insurance company closed the case, the firearms are then removed from stolen status and can then be sold to other people" their answer was "YES"

If anybody has any information to add or can help me get these firearms back on the stolen firearms list please let me know.

Thank you

wtf they atleast could have offered to sell them back to you since you were paid off. geeze, that would have been the right thing to do.

Let me be clear.....what BPD is doing is allowing a stolen gun to come off the list of "Stolen Guns" and become a sellable gun again WITHOUT RECOVERING THEM!!....how many hundreds of guns are out there that are really stolen guns that people are now selling because BPD decided to take them of the "Stolen Gun" list?????

If I really wanted them back, i'd ask for an appointment with the chief. Tell him your story and see if he is willing to cut through some of the red tape for you. If they still have them. Just me though.
Good luck.

My guns were never recovered!......BPD just decided to remove them from the "Stolen Guns" list becaused the insurance company paid the claim..........They will also removed guns from the list if you don't contact them once a year. HOW ABSOLUTELY RIDICULES IS THAT!

Seems like you're pretty wound up about something beyond your control. I'm sorry your stuff got stolen. I hate thieves with a passion. But, you reported them stolen and got an insurance payout. You did your due diligence and were made whole. If you reported them stolen there is a paper trail and if they ever get used in a crime it won't get pinned on you. I highly doubt theres a grand BPD conspiracy to flood the streets with stolen guns.

NO, that's not what is what. What is what is that his guns were stolen and anyone who ever gets caught with them should pay a price. But if the cops shrug their shoulder and say : " hey, you got your insurance so we don't care, they're now legal cause you got paid by the insurance people", that's total bull crap and messed up to the extreme. It's wrong wrong wrong.

This dude isn't looking to recover his stuff as much as to keep idiots like you (and me) from accidentally buying it after the police check comes back clean until later when you are arrested for possessing stolen property. I have a hard time believing Boise Police are that slack though...it boggles the mind. HORRIBLY wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Savy?

Thieves only have to wait out the police to legally sell a stolen firearm? Seems upside down to me.

Last Edited:
That seems a bit crazy but had something similar happen to me. I had a Taurus pt92 stolen in PHX sometime in 2003. In 2007 I got a letter from a prosecutor in El Paso TX saying that there will be a hearing on your recently recovered stolen property. Apparently the gun made its way from AZ to TX in 4 years. I couldn't make the hearing due to work, but wrote the judge a letter explaining the circumstances of how it was stolen and heard that it was in possession of the El Paso PD. There was a claim against it by a pawn shop saying it was their property as they paid for it and wanted it back. The judge ruled in favor of the pawn shop and released it to them because I didnt show up to claim it. Pretty $hitty in my mind for that to happen, knowing that it was reported stolen 4 years prior to the pawn shop paying $0.10 on the dollar for it.

NO, that's not what is what. What is what is that his guns were stolen and anyone who ever gets caught with them should pay a price. But if the cops shrug their shoulder and say : " hey, you got your insurance so we don't care, they're now legal cause you got paid by the insurance people", that's total bull crap and messed up to the extreme. It wrong wrong wrong.

This dude isn't looking to recover his stuff as much as to keep idiots like you from accidentally buying it after the police check comes back clean until later when you are arrested for possessing stolen property. I have a hard time believing Boise Police are that slack though...it boggles the mind. HORRIBLY wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Savy?

Thank you!

I can't believe you are not concerned about this. The fact that you are not grasping the magnitude of this issue is astounding.

BPD is allowing stolen guns to be sold without impunity. A stolen gun should stay in the FBI/ATF data base until its recovered not because some local entity decides that they don't want to file paper work to keep it in that data base.

Me, I am working with the insurance company that paid the claim to send a letter stating that they want the firearms to remain and be listed as stolen.

On a side note an ATF agent that I spoke with was extremely suprised that this action by BPD is being supported and is looking into the matter.

Pretty good scam potential. hide gun, report gun stolen, inform insurance, get paid, insurance informs police who remove it from stolen gun database so no one cares that you still have it.

+1 for what @Siglvr said. A big issue I see is that when a gun is stolen and you are compensated, then the BPD takes it off the "stolen guns" record and makes it legally sellable again. Then the azzhats who stole it in the first place now has a clean slate and got off without a scratch and possibly a few hundred dollars more and yet is still not recognized as a criminal since BPD cleared the record of it.

That's great, you made some calls. You've already done your part and then some. Once the guns were stolen they were already in the hands of criminals. It's not like BPD recovered them, let the thieves off, and then left your guns on a bus bench somewhere. If what you're saying about them refusing to let them retain "stolen" status is accurate as you tell the story, that's messed up. But I maintain that you're getting really worked up about something beyond your control and making some pretty strong accusations in the process.
I guess you could become one of those common sense warriors that helped get Oregon and Washington those wonderful California-esque laws we all love.
You have the right to be frustrated but none of this is going to reunite you with your property.

That's great, you made some calls. You've already done your part and then some. Once the guns were stolen they were already in the hands of criminals. It's not like BPD recovered them, let the thieves off, and then left your guns on a bus bench somewhere. If what you're saying about them refusing to let them retain "stolen" status is accurate as you tell the story, that's messed up. But I maintain that you're getting really worked up about something beyond your control and making some pretty strong accusations in the process.
I guess you could become one of those common sense warriors that helped get Oregon and Washington those wonderful California-esque laws we all love.
You have the right to be frustrated but none of this is going to reunite you with your property.

Again, you are missing the point COMPLETLY!!!

9FB444BA-A6DC-4A71-9532-4CBFD15D95C8.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads