JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's something I don't ever want to experience! Glad it just messed with the gun. However, to those saying way overloaded, my Lyman 49th shows a load of AA#7 at 9.0gr-10.6gr with a 200gr JACKETED bullet. AA#7 is just a smidge faster powder than Longshot. A possibility of higher pressure peak? Seems to me there is a possibility that the Glock barrel style may have caused the BOOM and not the load?
What surprised me about Longshot is how dense, and the energy content of the powder.
  • It's a powder that's very easy to double charge because it's so dense.
  • If you're familiar with Lee dippers, the .7cc dipper is 10gr of powder, the 1cc dipper is ~13gr of powder.
  • The kernel shape is a flattened ball powder, literally the size of a spec. Four specs will make 0.1 grain. Yes, I weighed each individual charge before seating a bullet. I'll do that when I'm charging cases -- load the charge and seat the bullet, or load the charge and place the bullet in the case, nose down.
Tonight is inspection time. Gonna see if it's salvageable.

Now that is an interesting question. I have never seen that but if I did? I would make sure to "error" on the low side and be looking for more info for sure.
Some of the older reloading manuals had much higher max loads. I think that the manufacturers have downloaded their loads to prevent lawsuits.

So is the Johnny Cash version.
Hadn't heard that one. Just gave it a listen on Youtube. Interesting. Totally different pace than Earle or Jennings. I first heard the Jennings version in the theater during the (so-so) movie Betrayed with Tom Berenger and Debra Winger. Went out and bought the CD soon after. Happened upon the Steve Earle version when I bought the excellent Copperhead Road CD (one of my all-time favorites).

What surprised me about Longshot is how dense, and the energy content of the powder.
  • It's a powder that's very easy to double charge because it's so dense.
  • If you're familiar with Lee dippers, the .7cc dipper is 10gr of powder, the 1cc dipper is ~13gr of powder.
  • The kernel shape is a flattened ball powder, literally the size of a spec. Four specs will make 0.1 grain. Yes, I weighed each individual charge before seating a bullet. I'll do that when I'm charging cases -- load the charge and seat the bullet, or load the charge and place the bullet in the case, nose down.
Tonight is inspection time. Gonna see if it's salvageable.
If possible I like to choose a load that will spill powder with a double charge.
With shotgun, look for a crimp that doesn't look right.

OK. I have read the entire thread to here.

What no one has asked is what Gen is your Glock 20 that blew up?

I did load development for my 10's and anything above 1,200 FPS pushing 180 grains was just to brutal, even with the 22lb springs I installed.
And the loads closer to 1,300 FPS would FTF a lot. They were just too hot. (Kimber, G40, G20, S&W 2.0)
I have a bunch of Underwood Ammo I bought a few years ago. It's 200 grain JHP @ 1,250 FPS. I never shot it and now I don't think I ever will. Loads that hot are too difficult for me to control. And control is the utmost importance when a bear is coming at ya.

I use Blue Dot for a good reason. 10grains fills the shell to the point that an overcharge would be very obvious as I do my charged powder inspection before seating. 10 grains of Blue Dot Chrono's at between 1,150 and 1,200 FPS. Even with this loading, I might back it down by 50 FPS. If I need more power, I will just carry a 44 mag.
Also, I reload my brass many times. I'm not looking to shoot Bunny Farts, but I want to keep my fingers.

The thought of a KB is something I think all reloaders fear.

If you can't get it right the first time, perhaps parachuting is not for you. :) :) :)

That rules out lack of case head support.
You would be incorrect.
When I bought the G20, I compared it with my Ruger 10mm. Where you see the smile on the case in my OP - that portion of the case is entirely unsupported. I posted pictures about it years ago.
In such a comparison, you'll also note that the Glock chamber is cut with a larger diameter. Put the same bullet in a Glock 20, you can rattle it around. In a Ruger, not so much. My thinnest piece of shim stock is 0.003. Attempting to wrap it around the case and insert into the chamber, it's an interference fit. I'm confident a 0.002 piece would slip in nicely.
When I did all the above, I did a sanity check with my CZ75 in 40 S&W. It is snug and fully supported, just like the Ruger.
Edit to add: that spot of exposed case is right at the feed ramp, which would serve to direct the blast downward.

You would be incorrect.
When I bought the G20, I compared it with my Ruger 10mm. Where you see the smile on the case in my OP - that portion of the case is entirely unsupported. I posted pictures about it years ago.
In such a comparison, you'll also note that the Glock chamber is cut with a larger diameter. Put the same bullet in a Glock 20, you can rattle it around. In a Ruger, not so much. My thinnest piece of shim stock is 0.003. Attempting to wrap it around the case and insert into the chamber, it's an interference fit. I'm confident a 0.002 piece would slip in nicely.
When I did all the above, I did a sanity check with my CZ75 in 40 S&W. It is snug and fully supported, just like the Ruger.
Edit to add: that spot of exposed case is right at the feed ramp, which would serve to direct the blast downward.
Not entirely incorrect. Glocks are loose for a reason. Reliability!

I also have a KKM barrel for my G20. It's so tight that feed reliability is not as good as with Glock barrels.
I have a KKM barrel for my G32, it's so freeking tight that the reloads have to be absolutely perfect in every way!
I reinstalled the Glock barrel in my G32 because I prefer my gun to go boom when I pull the trigger.
It's always a balance between reliability and KB from using hot loads.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it. :confused:

Last Edited:
I too have a 10mm, Star Megastar, that gets more accurate with hotter loads.
I haven't pushed it...if I want a hot-rod I have a pair of 45 Win Mags that push 230gn XTP's to 1600, and 1550, fps.
Thanks to the OP for sharing, and glad you're okay.

Joe

20210129_210152.jpg

Was anything damaged beside the magazine catch and trigger shoe? If not, walking away with only $12 in parts damage is quite lucky.

Not entirely incorrect. Glocks are loose for a reason. Reliability!

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it. :confused:

Just don't over charge loads and things will be fine.
I don't believe I've complained at all in this thread. I believe in sharing so others don't do the same dumb stuff that caused what I just experienced.

My loading aside, I always wondered why Glock used the standard 17# spring in their slide.
For example, with 180gr FP hard cast, the G20 would not handle loads above 10gr of AA#9 very well, slamming its backstops, while the Ruger SR1911 would make one ragged hole using 12.5gr, and still feel lighter recoiling than the Glock. Frankly, I prefer to have one load that will fire with acceptable accuracy in both guns. I set the G20 aside, continued to shoot the Ruger, and months later, finally ordered a spring kit from EDZ Performance. By then, all I had of AA#9 was just an ounce or two. So I decided to develop a new load for both using Longshot (still readily available).

Back to my comment about Glock chamber support compared to other brands, rather than debate with words, I will use a picture to explain what I'm talking about.
Note, none of this would have happened if I had operated within safe limits.
1703091689521.png

All 10mm's are not created equal, The colt delta elites used the standard 45 acp 17 lb recoil springs and hence was the reason for the FBI load or as I call it the "10 lite". If you look at the specs for American Eagle 180 gr ammo you will see a MV of 1050 fps. That's what Glocks and others are made to shoot. Real 10mm's run a 180gr bullet around 1250 to 1300 fps and in lessor pistols need the upgraded recoil spring. IMHO a 10 should be a 10 and the lessor should be a 40 S&W. At least that's how I do it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top